Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bouncing / Propoising

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Bouncing / Propoising

Have a 2016 f150 crew with the payload package, 2.7L, tow package, and ford TBC. I also am using a equalizer 1200 WDH. I have it setup so that the truck is level with a slight squat in the rear. The trailer is level with a slight slope downwards. My front fender measurement is only about 1/4" higher than without the trailer.

I know the ford manual says to adjust so it is only a 1/4 way back to the unloaded height but it seems I would want it even closer of I could.

Trailer weighs 6100 dry and I've never weighed it loaded but guess around 7000 pounds loaded. I've noticed that the truck seems to flex a lot in the back up and down with the trailer. Especially if I hit a bump in the road.

Anybody have an idea of what I can do to stop the bouncing? Is it normal?

It's not really bad but I feel it should be more solid.

Bouncing / Propoising-image-716833372.jpg
Old 08-20-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

What you have there looks pretty good but it sounds like your shocks are just not up to the job. I fear that the springs are just moving up and down quite freely without any real sort of damping kind of like a pogo stick...all spring and no shock. Try a better shock (front and back). I hear a lot of people like the adjustable Bilstiens.

Seeing as its a 2016 you may be able to work out some sort of warranty deal and a swap for the heavy duty units.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Check out Timbren's SES package
Old 08-21-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Also what tires and tire pressure?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by mark waller
Also what tires and tire pressure?
45 on all four corners. Running stock Michelens
Old 08-21-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Is this your first time with a TT? Just asking if you have some experience to justify the ride quality problems you're having.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by PARIAH
Is this your first time with a TT? Just asking if you have some experience to justify the ride quality problems you're having.
yes first time with a TT. I've towed a pop up with a Tacoma and didn't have this issue.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a similar setup. My TT weighs 5800# dry. I added 2 6v batteries that sit on the tongue. I have an Equalizer 10k WDH. Loaded TT with hitch is 7,120 gross. I had to spend quite a bit of time dialing the hitch adjustments in. Measurements helped, but once I got it as close as I could I relied on CAT scale readings and ignored measurements. Just got back from a week long trip and I'm happy with the setup.

Mostly loaded truck, no TT I'm at:

Fully loaded here's where I am:

My GAWRs are:

My max payload is 1498. I'm just under the max for payload, GVWR and GAWRs. More capacity would be nice, but I would have to sacrifice some luxuries that I want on my daily driver.

I initially had quite a bit of "jounce" but Timbrens SES took care of that. Just make sure you get these http://timbren.com/products-page/ses/FR1504E/, not the HD ones that are shaped like a barrel. Timbrens clearly advises that the HD ones are not designed for ride quality.
        Old 08-21-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by altarocks
        I have a similar setup. My TT weighs 5800# dry. I added 2 6v batteries that sit on the tongue. I have an Equalizer 10k WDH. Loaded TT with hitch is 7,120 gross. I had to spend quite a bit of time dialing the hitch adjustments in. Measurements helped, but once I got it as close as I could I relied on CAT scale readings and ignored measurements. Just got back from a week long trip and I'm happy with the setup. Mostly loaded truck, no TT I'm at: Steer axle 3400 Drive axle 2740 Fully loaded here's where I am: Steer axle 3360 Drive axle 3600 TT axles 6300 My GAWRs are: Steer 3525 Drive 3800 My max payload is 1498. I'm just under the max for payload, GVWR and GAWRs. More capacity would be nice, but I would have to sacrifice some luxuries that I want on my daily driver. I initially had quite a bit of "jounce" but Timbrens SES took care of that. Just make sure you get these http://timbren.com/products-page/ses/FR1504E/, not the HD ones that are shaped like a barrel. Timbrens clearly advises that the HD ones are not designed for ride quality.
        Thanks. Wouldn't it add stress to the axle or frame with it constantly pushing on it? Seems like the springs aren't being used anymore.
        Old 08-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a factory stop installed that is non-compressible, so it is stiffer than the SES. You have to remove the factory stop to replace it with the SES. The stops only make contact with the axle when the springs are essentially "used up" and flatten out. Since the SES is designed to compress with increased load it absorbs some of the load that with the factory stop would be entirely stopped on the axle. I was skeptical, but for the low cost and easy install I gave it a shot and am very happy with the performance. Here's a video that shows them in action

Let me know if you go that route. I installed the Timbrens much easier than the instructions Timbrens gives.

Last edited by altarocks; 08-21-2016 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Bouncing / Propoising