Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstiens 5100s

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bilstiens 5100s

About to pull the trigger on a set of 5100s for my FX4, looking for a basic upgrade shock after upgrading to bfg E rated tires. I tow a 6000# TT, guess my question is anyone else have towing experience with these? Any issues?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Just got mine installed and LOVE 'em. Absolutely perfect ride. I've only towed with stock shocks, but with the ride improvement the 5100s provide, towing will no doubt be much better too.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I love mine! Have the fronts set at the 1.5" setting for perfect level on a 4x4 SCREW. I also use airbags in the back to help while towing. Only thing I wish I would have done was to acquire and install HD model front springs when I did the Bilstein installation. The install is sort of a PITA so the chances of me revisiting to install stronger springs is unlikely

Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
I love mine! Have the fronts set at the 1.5" setting for perfect level on a 4x4 SCREW. I also use airbags in the back to help while towing. Only thing I wish I would have done was to acquire and install HD model front springs when I did the Bilstein installation. The install is sort of a PITA so the chances of me revisiting to install stronger springs is unlikely
Why do you feel like you need hd springs? I thought about it. I'm having 4wps put the shocks in this week, I don't want to mess spring compression etc. I'm looking at airbags for sure before the spring camping season starts, got a trip planed for spring break but it's already approaching in 2 weeks. I want to install the wireless compressor kit with them. For me the biggest challenge is the truck is a daily driver for the spousal unit, so I need the upgrades to "feel" better to justify the expense. I know the bags will help the most with the towing.

After that we will be set
E rated tires
Shocks
Air bags
Old 03-02-2015, 05:59 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Wont really need the airbags IMO. Better off spending $$$ on a good Weight Distributing Hitch setup for towing. Airbags are better for 5th wheel setups IMO. Check my sig...same setup including TT weight...no problems.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I installed the heavy duty rear springs, which really helped. What I notice now is the front is a little, bouncy, for lack of a better word. I was afraid that would happen. I think it's because the front springs are softer than the rear. I don't want the ride to be harsher, but I think it would handle better with the heavier front springs. I've been considering the Bilsteins all around too, or even the Ford HD shocks.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I too wish I had installed HD front springs. The original suspension is designed for grocery-getting and a nice ride when unloaded.

Improved shocks, rear suspension, LT tires and WDH haven't removed all the "wallowing" this truck does when loaded up. You also notice it when loaded and coming to a stop: the truck rocks from front to back at the stop sign.

Admittedly I'm right at or even a bit over its weight limits. I can live with what's left of the slop for now, but my next truck will definitely be more HD.

Would have been cheaper to have bought a truck with the HD Payload option in the first place.

EDIT: I installed Ford's HD shocks. They're ok but Bilsteins might be better/stiffer. Can't really compare them as I've never used Bilsteins.

Last edited by brulaz; 03-02-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by wkelly
Why do you feel like you need hd springs?
With my 1,100# tongue weight properly distributed and supplemented in the rear with bags, my only weak point is the front-end bouncing. I wish the front was as firm as the back while towing. The HD springs have a firmer spring rate then the non-HD version.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I think front springs, HD shocks, and a rear stabilizer bar with be my next upgrade. I did think about buying an F250. I just didn't want to deal with the rock hard ride. I just need a little more stiffness, not a lot. I figured the price difference would give me a little room to spend money on upgrades. I can do most of the work myself, which helps a lot.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
Wont really need the airbags IMO. Better off spending $$$ on a good Weight Distributing Hitch setup for towing. Airbags are better for 5th wheel setups IMO. Check my sig...same setup including TT weight...no problems.
I already spent the coin on a good WDH with sway and E rated tires. I don't really have any real problems, I do feel that the truck is still a bit softer with the trailer behind it than it should be. Just don't mind spending a little increase stability and safety.

Quick Reply: Bilstiens 5100s