Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Tex trailer issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Big Tex trailer issue

I should buy stock in this forum as much as I have been using it lol

Anyways I've run into an issue with my trailer if you look at the picture I am starting to shave metal all of the nipple and it is becoming a pain in the butt to get the safety pin inside of the hole of the nipple because the gate will not close flush against it. From what I see you're able to move the nipple from side to side if you loosen the nut behind it but you are not able to move it up-and-down.
Should I file down the hole that the nipple is attached to or should I open up the hole on the gate latch itself?
Attached Thumbnails Big Tex trailer issue-image.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Here's another pic
Attached Thumbnails Big Tex trailer issue-image.jpg  
Old 08-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I had the same issue. You accidentally shifted your gate on the pins putting up and down. It simply isn't aligned with the holes. That happens on any trailer with a removable gate. Simple shift it back over and it will be fine.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM

The gate is lined up on the hinges.
It seems that the hole on the gate latch is about 1/8" too low.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Floridaguy80
The gate is lined up on the hinges.
It seems that the hole on the gate latch is about 1/8" too low.
Hmmmm. I don't know if those latch pins are mounted through a straight hole or if it is an oval/oblong hole. You might want to check that to see if they are adjustable. If it isn't then I would go with your option of shaving just a little off the hole on the gate.

Another option is to take the trailer back for another one. It isn't a big issue, and it very well might happen over time with use of the trailer, but you bought it new and the dealer should ensure you have a full operational trailer with NO issues. The few I have seen line up fine (mine and those my friends have). They might have taken the gate off another trailer that was damaged in shipping or those hinge-pin guides might have been bent down a little in shipping to cause the misalignment.

Last edited by Rockjock3; 08-23-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM

That Pin is adjustable from left to right but not up-and-down as much. The dealer doesn't have any more of these trailers he has a 12 footer which is way too big and there about four weeks out from getting any more of my size. Plus he is two hours away from me lol.
I'll try and shave it down some all I need is about an eighth of an inch and I should be good to go
Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Floridaguy80
That Pin is adjustable from left to right but not up-and-down as much. The dealer doesn't have any more of these trailers he has a 12 footer which is way too big and there about four weeks out from getting any more of my size. Plus he is two hours away from me lol.
I'll try and shave it down some all I need is about an eighth of an inch and I should be good to go
Yea, I guess in your situation a little shave is the best option.

Quick Reply: Big Tex trailer issue