Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best trailer tire for the money?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best trailer tire for the money?

I have a tandem axle trailer that when loaded with the skid steer weights up to 7500 pounds gross. I bought a set of Gladiator ST 225-75/15 and I got about 20,000 miles out of them. I want a good tire because my wife drives the F450 flatbed, pulling the trailer and skidsteer back and forth between North Texas and North Dakotas.

Any recommendations? The tires wore evenly and we regularly check tire pressure.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm at 7k miles/3 years on a set of Michelin LTX 235/75/15 M/S2 tires (tandem axle), and have been very happy with them. Bought at Costco-currently $123+$15 each, and sometimes you can get $70 off. I know- truck tires, but research was done.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Have four ST 225-75/15 D Goodyear Marathons with over 23K miles on them.
And they look like they'll go another 10-20K.

One tire developed some outside edge wear on it, but that was a worn shackle.
Replaced all the shackles with heavy duty ones and now the wear is even.

Previous trailer also had Goodyear Marathons that ran 16K miles without issue.

I run them at 65-70psi.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

I put over 25,000 miles on a set of Goodyear Marathons without any problem. Only got rid of them because they were 7 years old. Still had good tread left.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Goodyear marathons are junk. There are the ones that have not blown out yet and those that will. Plenty of Airstreamers know this and change out brand new ones on new trailers to either lt235 75 r15's or move to 16" wheels and run 235 75r16's.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

DO NOT put LT tires on a trailer unless they are included on the manufacturer's commercial truck tire website and certified to be for trailer service (or all-position service which includes trailer service.). I love Michelin LTX tires on my tow vehicle, but they are not designed for trailer service so should not be mounted on a trailer.

If your trailer has 16" tires, then you an run Michelin XPS tires on the trailer.
http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-a...!/info/xps-rib

The Michelin XPS is available only in a few 16" sizes. Expensive, but worth it. I wore out three sets on my '99 F-250 that came with LT235/85R16E tires.

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes LT tires rated for trailer service that are smaller than 16" rim size..

For 15" or smaller tires, your best bet is to go with special trailer (ST) tires. I 've had excellent service with Maxxis ST225/75R15 trailer tires in load range D or E. I now have D on one trailer and E on another.
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-1...t-radial-m8008

I ordered my Maxxis trailer tires from my local Discount Tire store.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...Selected=79782
Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=service.). I love Michelin LTX tires on my tow vehicle, but they are not designed for trailer service so should not be mounted on a trailer.
[/QUOTE]

Smokeywren, I do respect the heck out of you for all the help and information you provide, especially to new tow-ers here, and you have helped me understand the key aspects of towing better! I feel that you should write up a basic formula for understanding and calculating tow capabilities based on the following..."I have "X" truck- what can I safely tow...or, "I want to tow "X" trailer (not 5th wheel), what truck do I need?, and make it a sticky for this forum . Having said all that, I wish to respectfully disagree with the quoted statement.

I bought a 10 year old Airstream (2 axles) with questionable mileage, so first thing was to put new tires on it, even though there was no apparent wear. I researched the Airstream forum and saw bad reports on a few of the trailer tires (one was Marathon), and saw a lot of good reviews for the Michelin LTX's. Being brand new to towing, I opted for those, in 15" size. They have been fine for me. Maybe because the Airstream tows differently- more aerodynamic? I've never used sway bar with my low end hitch, and never had sway in many conditions.

Maybe sway is the tire-killer, rather than the occasional tight turning radius that puts side stress on the sidewalls?

I run them at 50PSI.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
DO NOT put LT tires on a trailer unless they are included on the manufacturer's commercial truck tire website and certified to be for trailer service (or all-position service which includes trailer service.). I love Michelin LTX tires on my tow vehicle, but they are not designed for trailer service so should not be mounted on a trailer.

If your trailer has 16" tires, then you an run Michelin XPS tires on the trailer.
http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-a...!/info/xps-rib

The Michelin XPS is available only in a few 16" sizes. Expensive, but worth it. I wore out three sets on my '99 F-250 that came with LT235/85R16E tires.

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes LT tires rated for trailer service that are smaller than 16" rim size..

For 15" or smaller tires, your best bet is to go with special trailer (ST) tires. I 've had excellent service with Maxxis ST225/75R15 trailer tires in load range D or E. I now have D on one trailer and E on another.
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-1...t-radial-m8008

I ordered my Maxxis trailer tires from my local Discount Tire store.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...Selected=79782
Smokey wren, withe the utmost of respect, I hate to argue with you, but there are no good 15" trailer tires on the market unless you move up to lt's. I dont care that they are not rated for trailers. Take one in your hands and feel the difference between sl and lt sidewalls and their overall weight difference. Feel them and tell me an st is comparable. I would never argue with you about payload, or towing capacities of an F150. You are the champ, but last fall with a 3 year old set of st's I had blow out on my Airstream and shredded the under belly. I would hope that you would understand that i am as **** as you when it comes to tire pressure and ratings. But when it comes to st's and maratons, I would implore you to go to the airstream forum and search for marathon or st tires
Old 03-13-2016, 09:49 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ColbyL
Having said all that, I wish to respectfully disagree with the quoted statement.

That statement is not something I dug up just for grins. It's from the Maxxis website. Similar explanations are on most of the other manufacturers' websites:

Why Use An "ST" Tire?

Originally Posted by Maxxix
  • "ST" tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.
  • The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable "P" or "LT" tire.
  • The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.
  • "ST" tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Last edited by smokeywren; 03-13-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Enived2
Smokey wren, withe the utmost of respect, I hate to argue with you, but there are no good 15" trailer tires on the market unless you move up to lt's. I dont care that they are not rated for trailers. Take one in your hands and feel the difference between sl and lt sidewalls and their overall weight difference. Feel them and tell me an st is comparable. I would never argue with you about payload, or towing capacities of an F150. You are the champ, but last fall with a 3 year old set of st's I had blow out on my Airstream and shredded the under belly. I would hope that you would understand that i am as **** as you when it comes to tire pressure and ratings. But when it comes to st's and maratons, I would implore you to go to the airstream forum and search for marathon or st tires
The reason airstreamers go with lt235 15's or 16's is they are very close to the size of the 225 75 16 BALLOON trailer tires that manufacturers use to get their trailers off of the assembly line.

Quick Reply: Best trailer tire for the money?