Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been Looking at posts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Been Looking at posts

Have a 2004 f150 fx4 getting ready to purchase either a 187TB or 207TB Thor Hybrid Toyhauler. Interesting threads here. I will put the Equalizer on but I was wondering what may be the best set up The Airbags or the active suspension? Would like to here from folks that have had both.

http://www.strutmasters.com/F-150-Ro.../rm-4622-2.htm

This is one I was looking at from Strutmasters.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't think you"ll "need" any spring helpers with an equalizer... I do have a concern with airbags. some companies recommend airing them up after you set up your WDH and some say before. there dosen't seem to be a concensus but to me if you add air after you set up your WDH, you are removing tension off the WDH so while your truck looks nice and level, you've actually increased weight on the rear axle and likely removed some weight from the front axle... on top of that, with hitches like the equalizer or the dual cam, they rely on the tension of those bars to prevent sway an you've decreased the tension on them by airing up.

but like i said there is no consensus on this and even some airbag manufacturers recommend adding air after the WDH is set up.

I don't have a RAS but I have never read a bad review... they do say in raises the rear unloaded between 1/2-1" if that matter to you.
The following users liked this post:
ceasefire49 (04-24-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm going to disagree with uzi on this.

IMHO the F150 suspension is too wimpy when you're hauling full load. It's nice unloaded and really designed for the commuter. If I were not hauling much or only occasionally, I would like it and just live with the "wallowing around" when towing. But we tow a lot.

The RAS is nice, I have one. It crisps up the ride even when not towing and definitely helps when you are towing. I've also added HD shocks and changed my tires to LT. But I would still like more stiffness. So if I were to do it again, I'd get the Ford's HD payload option, which stiffens the front coils as well as the rear leafs, adds HD shocks, LT tires, and other good stuff.

If that's not an option, adjustable rear air bags is the way I would go if I were to do it again. You can get a stiffer ride than with RAS. They don't help the front end though. Most of us have just settled for a pair of good stiff shocks there.

There are other options out there for the rear end but many, like Timbrens and Supersprings, only come into play after the rear sags a certain fixed amount. And your WDH lifts the rear, reducing their effectiveness.

Adjusting the WDH with air bags is pretty much the same as without. Set the airbags to the stiffness you want first, then use the WDH to return 50-100% of the weight lifted off the front axle by the trailer tongue. Usually you just estimate this by measuring the lift at the front wheel wells and then checking at a scale sometime later to see how close you are.

If you later adjust the airbag pressure, you should check and possibly readjust the WDH. But you should do that anytime you alter your suspension. Once everything is dialed in, it will be easier.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
I'm going to disagree with uzi on this.

IMHO the F150 suspension is too wimpy when you're hauling full load. It's nice unloaded and really designed for the commuter. If I were not hauling much or only occasionally, I would like it and just live with the "wallowing around" when towing. But we tow a lot.

The RAS is nice, I have one. It crisps up the ride even when not towing and definitely helps when you are towing. I've also added HD shocks and changed my tires to LT. But I would still like more stiffness. So if I were to do it again, I'd get the Ford's HD payload option, which stiffens the front coils as well as the rear leafs, adds HD shocks, LT tires, and other good stuff.

If that's not an option, adjustable rear air bags is the way I would go if I were to do it again. You can get a stiffer ride than with RAS. They don't help the front end though. Most of us have just settled for a pair of good stiff shocks there.

There are other options out there for the rear end but many, like Timbrens and Supersprings, only come into play after the rear sags a certain fixed amount. And your WDH lifts the rear, reducing their effectiveness.

Adjusting the WDH with air bags is pretty much the same as without. Set the airbags to the stiffness you want first, then use the WDH to return 50-100% of the weight lifted off the front axle by the trailer tongue. Usually you just estimate this by measuring the lift at the front wheel wells and then checking at a scale sometime later to see how close you are.

If you later adjust the airbag pressure, you should check and possibly readjust the WDH. But you should do that anytime you alter your suspension. Once everything is dialed in, it will be easier.
haha... i actually think we are pretty much in agreement. i was just saying spring helpers are not a necessity... not that they don't help