Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backup Constantly Beeps with Trailer Hitch in?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backup Constantly Beeps with Trailer Hitch in?

I have a 2016 F-150. It would always beep when backing up when I got close to something. This is great. But when I put the trailer hitch in, it beeps whenever I back up. Is this what it is supposed to do? I like the feature, but I don't want to take the hitch receiver out every time I 'm not hauling my trailer?

It looks like I can turn it off, but I really like this feature when I get close to an object in the back.
The following users liked this post:
kmc12 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like you might have some kind of oddball hitch (I assume you mean the ball mount) that interferes with the reverse sensors on the truck. My '13 does not beep when I leave the ball mount in. Besides, I simply remove it when not towing. No big deal.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

It's normal if you have a large hitch like an Equal-i-zer like I do. All you can do is disable the backup assist or remove the hitch when you are not towing. Like many other things in the new generation of F-150's when you turn off backup assist it will default to being on the next time you start up. I sure wish Ford would let me determine the default settings for these types of things.
kmc12 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You both for responding. I have a regular hitch with the sway bar ball attached to it also.

schmenke, I agree with you. I wish I could just set it to default to off when I have the hitch in.

It's kind of a hassle to turn it off every time. I really do like the feature....I guess I'll have to remove the hitch after every tow.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

My equalizer hitch does the same thing because it sticks out so far. I doesn't bother me because I don't like sore knees so I take it out when not in use!
Old 04-19-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I only tow with a WD hitch, too. It beeps when the hitch is in.
We're getting ready to buy a small trailer to haul a golf cart. Wonder if the smaller hitch will set mine off?
I had never thought about that before.
I know a lot of people leave regular hitches installed all the time. Makes the sensor useless if a regular hitch sets it off.
And agree, it would be nice to be able to determine if you want the default on or off.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Not sure what you all mean by a "regular" hitch. This is mine and it doesn't interfere with the reverse sensors.
Attached Thumbnails Backup Constantly Beeps with Trailer Hitch in?-hitch.jpg  
Old 04-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

For the love of . . .

Take out the hitch when not in use!!!!!

That is why it is removable. One of my huge auto pet peeves is people that leave them in. As guy that pumped gas as a teenager I still have scares from those damn things on my shins.

There is nothing like walking between vehicles in a parking lot and smashing your shins or knees into those things.

Take it out when not in use.
4B11TX (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:37 AM

^ Yes, this is what I do, and I use one of these hitch pins for easier removal.
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by humblerb
I only tow with a WD hitch, too. It beeps when the hitch is in.
We're getting ready to buy a small trailer to haul a golf cart. Wonder if the smaller hitch will set mine off?
I had never thought about that before.
I know a lot of people leave regular hitches installed all the time. Makes the sensor useless if a regular hitch sets it off.
And agree, it would be nice to be able to determine if you want the default on or off.
My smaller hitch doesn't set mine off only my equalizer.

Quick Reply: Backup Constantly Beeps with Trailer Hitch in?