Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axel Wrap question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Axel Wrap question...

So I have been reading about axel wrap symptoms on the F150. I am curious though as to if this is a condition caused by over loading your vehicle? Seems ridiculous to think that a truck manufacturer would not address this issue within the weight limits of the trucks payload or gcwr. However if someone overloads the vehicle not understanding payloads and max trailer weights don't go hand in hand, could that be the real issue?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Axle wrap is caused by several things. over load is NOT normally one of them. the most common reason's is over powering the springs, poor or worn shocks or using lifting blocks to raise the truck. I have never known it to be a problem on the F150 unless the suspension has been lifted.improperly.
IMO the rear shocks OEM on the 2015 and up are about as close as it gets to POOR or WORN OUT When it leaves the factory.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Axle wrap is caused by several things. over load is NOT normally one of them. the most common reason's is over powering the springs, poor or worn shocks or using lifting blocks to raise the truck. I have never known it to be a problem on the F150 unless the suspension has been lifted.improperly.
IMO the rear shocks OEM on the 2015 and up are about as close as it gets to POOR or WORN OUT When it leaves the factory.
Ya I've heard people say that it rides much better with better shocks, especially the rear. I personally like the way my FX4 rides, but I'm sure a nicer set would make a difference. Just seems like a weird problem for people to have if your using the truck within the recommended limits.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

As noted above it is not a loading issue. Axle wrap occurs when the axle wraps or begins to form an "S" and then springs back causing a bouncing of the axle.

This is due to overpowering of the springs by the rotational load of the axle itself. Basically the axle attempting to turn the opposite direction that the tires are attempting to turn.

Using lift blocks can cause this issue because blocks give the axle more leverage on the springs. Just like using a longer lever to move a load or longer breaker bar to break loose a fastener. This is a good reason not to use lift blocks, especially if you intend to use your truck off road.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Solve the problem of inadequate axle mounting stabilization with one device. Ladder or traction bars.

While spring mounted traction bars help, frame mounted ladder bars completely eliminate the oscillation, also commonly known as wheel hop as well as allow the axle to fully articulate over uneven terrain.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:29 PM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

Dirttracker18 posted the perfect diagram depicting what happens when torque is applied to the axle. Additionally, this torque increases when you increase the distance from the centerline of the axle tube and the top of the u-bolt plate, via blocks.

Blocks arent necessarily the horrible evil-doer to the end of the world, but they will increase axle wrap. Not really a problem, unless the vehicle is subjected to hard acceleration, worn-out springs, and other variables.

Why don't auto manufacturers correct this then? Because it costs money, and doesn't really have a significant impact on a majority of customers, that's why. Most customers would prefer to have a smoother ride, and longer, softer springs provide that. A large majority of these vehicle owners will never be concerned with axle wrap, never experience it (at least with any degree of frequency), and also never really load down the vehicle, consistently.

But, it can easily be addressed with traction bars, or similar devices. But most will have an effect on suspension cycling, by limiting the travel. So there's a degree of sacrifice, in order to find a happy medium. Stiffer springs can help too, but again, at a sacrifice. In this case, it would be with ride quality. Remember, just like many of the tasks we ask of our vehicles, they have to find a happy medium for a large spectrum of customer needs.

While spring mounted traction bars help, frame mounted ladder bars completely eliminate the oscillation, also commonly known as wheel hop as well as allow the axle to fully articulate over uneven terrain.
Another great diagram! But not 100% true statement, but pretty darn close. Most all traction bars, will still hamper some articulation. Especially with the bushing/sleeve style mounts in his diagram. Eye bushings will not permit complete vehicle articulation from side to side. Is it going to be a significant sacrifice, in our truck's applications? Most likely not. Heim-joints (rod-ends/bearings) will improve that some, but most set-ups will still have at least a small, negative effect on that side-to-side articulation. But I completely agree with him; that's a much better design than the spring-mounted style bars. But those are probably adequate o nthe typical street vehicle that's not going offroad at all.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 12-27-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:53 PM

So I take it people aren't having this issue with stock set ups, but rather only with mods? If that's the case then I digress and it's not a manufacturing issue.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by wolfpack219
So I take it people aren't having this issue with stock set ups, but rather only with mods? If that's the case then I digress and it's not a manufacturing issue.
No, they are. But perhaps just moderately, and at a compromise, I suppose.

I know if I get on my truck hard, it's easy to experience axle wrap-up. Not as much with all the technology incorporated into traction-control features, but it still exists. And it will be more obvious with performance mods.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
No, they are. But perhaps just moderately, and at a compromise, I suppose.

I know if I get on my truck hard, it's easy to experience axle wrap-up. Not as much with all the technology incorporated into traction-control features, but it still exists. And it will be more obvious with performance mods.
I'll have to wait and see how it is when I get my trailer. Seems like something that shouldn't happen in Stock form.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by wolfpack219
I'll have to wait and see how it is when I get my trailer. Seems like something that shouldn't happen in Stock form.
Won't disagree with that. As we all have different driving styles, habits and needs, issues like these, surface differently, with different drivers.

And keep in mind, it's possible that you have another issue that can be adding to this.

What suspension or performance mods do you have on your truck?