Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone towing a KZ Sportsmen S235RK

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Another Floridian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone towing a KZ Sportsmen S235RK

Glad I found this Forum.

I am doing research to buy a 5th wheeler with low hitch weight.

The KZ Sportsmen S235RK is rated at 88o dry hitch weight. No other Company has a lower one.

I have a 2007 F150 XLT, 2 door, 2x2, short bed, V8, Auto. Tow package.

I know about the weights and by carefully loading truck and 5th wheeler it looks like it will work. Like removing my truck spare wheel and install it at the rear of the 5th wheeler, and similar rearanging.
My wife and I weigh 300 lb

Sportsmen S235RK:
Empty weight 5925
Dry hitch weight 880
NCC 1075
GVWR 7000 so I can add about 1000 lb to the 5th wheel. not in the front though

Truck: 2007 XLT
Weighs 4708
Max Load 1760
GVWR 6650
GCWR 12200

My F150 is like new and I do not have the money for a bigger Truck.

What do you think about my Ideas???
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Respectfully, Harold
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know much about 5th wheels or travel trailers but I know alot about cargo trailer. It looks like is should be able to move it and stop it. How many miles are on your truck? And the most important question is; where are you taking the trailer to? Just to a local campground around the corner twice a year or through the mountains on 1000 mile rides?
A young solider can carry a 100lbs backpack throughout the mountains no problem but a 80 year old man might be able to start off and keep up for a while but then drop dead.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Another Floridian

Default F150 towing 5th Wheeler

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
I don't know much about 5th wheels or travel trailers but I know alot about cargo trailer. It looks like is should be able to move it and stop it. How many miles are on your truck? And the most important question is; where are you taking the trailer to? Just to a local campground around the corner twice a year or through the mountains on 1000 mile rides?
A young solider can carry a 100lbs backpack throughout the mountains no problem but a 80 year old man might be able to start off and keep up for a while but then drop dead.
My Truck is a 2007 with 50000 miles, carefully driven, never floored, maybe 10000 miles flat bed towing and then even more careful.
I love my truck. always serviced, no smoked in and no pets.
Greetings, Harold
Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The question of where you are planning to take it is important, especially considering that radiators and engine cooling passages lose efficiency due to inevitable corrosion. So if you striking out across the desert southwest or up mountain passes, I recommend cutting back. On the other hand if you are just going to loaf down a flat & easy road then you you should be fine.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

That is a truly impressive pin weight. Rear kitchens will do that for you I guess.

But the problem I see is that it may not be enough for stability. Most people recommend 15% of total fifth wheel weight on the pin: Minimum. Upto 25% Maximum. This is necessary to eliminate sway. With regular travel trailers, you have the option of adding friction sway control, or whatever. Not so with a fifth wheel.

And with only 1000# payload, you will likely be right at the trailers GVWR of 7000#. That means the you should load it so the pin weight is 1050#, not all in the rear. Still very low. That'll leave 700# for you, the wife, fiver hitch and other stuff.

Sounds do-able, but I would be worried about that low payload and whether running the trailer right at its GVWR might be too much for the 14" tires and axles. Do you know what the trailer's axles/tires are rated at?

EDIT: Your GCWR is only 12200#. With a fully loaded 7000# trailer, and 4708# truck, 300# people and 200# fiver hitch: you will be right there.

Last edited by brulaz; 06-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Another Floridian

Originally Posted by brulaz
That is a truly impressive pin weight. Rear kitchens will do that for you I guess.

But the problem I see is that it may not be enough for stability. Most people recommend 15% of total fifth wheel weight on the pin: Minimum. Upto 25% Maximum. This is necessary to eliminate sway. With regular travel trailers, you have the option of adding friction sway control, or whatever. Not so with a fifth wheel.

And with only 1000# payload, you will likely be right at the trailers GVWR of 7000#. That means the you should load it so the pin weight is 1050#, not all in the rear. Still very low. That'll leave 700# for you, the wife, fiver hitch and other stuff.

Sounds do-able, but I would be worried about that low payload and whether running the trailer right at its GVWR might be too much for the 14" tires and axles. Do you know what the trailer's axles/tires are rated at?

EDIT: Your GCWR is only 12200#. With a fully loaded 7000# trailer, and 4708# truck, 300# people and 200# fiver hitch: you will be right there.
Thank you for your tips. Now I know about the importance of the hitch weight.
Maybe I need to check into Travel Trailers.

Greetings, Harold
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brothers '13 with V6 turbo pulling their 5th wheeler. He claims it pulls the same as the '08 Super Duty diesel did with better mileage. I'm not sure I buy into that, but it does pull it. I was wondering about the turning clearance and pin weight but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Is anyone towing a KZ Sportsmen S235RK-zzz.jpg
Old 06-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rugtnit
My brothers '13 with V6 turbo pulling their 5th wheeler. He claims it pulls the same as the '08 Super Duty diesel did with better mileage. I'm not sure I buy into that, but it does pull it. I was wondering about the turning clearance and pin weight but it doesn't seem to be an issue.
He's almost certainly overloaded 'cause the pin weight. If that's a 313RL or 317RL Wildcat, they weigh about 10K pounds unloaded. More with all the beer. The 313RL has an unloaded pin weight of 1715#.

And that doesn't look like an F150 with HD Payload. Guess his payload is max 1840#, probably less. Then there's people weight, hitch weight, stuff ...

He should put it on a scale and find out just how much over he is with respect to the truck's rear GAWR and GVWR. It's always good to know.

Quick Reply: Is anyone towing a KZ Sportsmen S235RK