Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running roadmaster RSA ...AND Air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running roadmaster RSA ...AND Air bags?

I have the old version of the roadmaster active suspension that goes under the leaf spring plate....which opens up the possibility for ride rite air bags since they won't be in each others way.

is anyone running both types of spring helpers (bags and RAS)?

Or...is it pretty redundant having both. I do know that RAS offers more "control" but the bags add the ability to load up to max payload without sagging.

My issue is sagging with minimal payload and towing my trailer (5k lbs/600 lb tongue weight). I have a 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and 37s.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Have thought about it.

The RAS is great. But I could use even more stiffness when fully loaded. Don't have a sag issue because of the WDH.

Have been thinking more of overload bump stops to engage the overload springs earlier (and they're dirt cheap):
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.9132

Or Timbren's, don't think they'll have a problem with the RAS.

Getting back to your highly modified, lifted suspension. Bags might be the only way to go ..., but, whoa, you are getting a LOT of mods stuffed in there. Who knows how your suspension will behave?

Last edited by brulaz; 05-21-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by brulaz
Have thought about it.

The RAS is great. But I could use even more stiffness when fully loaded. Don't have a sag issue because of the WDH.

Have been thinking more of overload bump stops to engage the overload springs earlier (and they're dirt cheap):
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.9132

Or Timbren's, don't think they'll have a problem with the RAS.

Getting back to your highly modified, lifted suspension. Bags might be the only way to go ..., but, whoa, you are getting a LOT of mods stuffed in there. Who knows how your suspension will behave?
yeah on the Ecoboost forum one of the members was saying that it wouldn't be possible. I hate how soft the springs get when you put a lift on. Just mushy and it really sags down....not horribly, and my weight distribution setup almost fixes it but I would really like the firm support of airbags.

on the boost forum, they had said that it would require almost impossible adjustments of both systems to make them work together? and the ride would be really really bumpy. I thought the RAS would somewhat counteract that? Have you heard of anyone ever doing that?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fowlken
yeah on the Ecoboost forum one of the members was saying that it wouldn't be possible. I hate how soft the springs get when you put a lift on. Just mushy and it really sags down....not horribly, and my weight distribution setup almost fixes it but I would really like the firm support of airbags.

on the boost forum, they had said that it would require almost impossible adjustments of both systems to make them work together? and the ride would be really really bumpy. I thought the RAS would somewhat counteract that? Have you heard of anyone ever doing that?
Can't really help. Sort of avoid lifted trucks as mine is primarily a tow truck.

But have you considered reducing the lift some? Or is it necessary for those tires? Sorry, that's all I can think of.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Here you go
https://www.f150forum.com/f7/loadlif...irbags-284623/
I have the old version of the roadmaster active suspension that goes under the leaf spring plate....which opens up the possibility for ride rite air bags since they won't be in each others way.

is anyone running both types of spring helpers (bags and RAS)?

Or...is it pretty redundant having both. I do know that RAS offers more "control" but the bags add the ability to load up to max payload without sagging.

My issue is sagging with minimal payload and towing my trailer (5k lbs/600 lb tongue weight). I have a 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and 37s.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

I think what I would try, assuming you have blocks as your primary rear lift, some atlas leafs with the lift you need built in or maybe the factory lift block and shorter shackles if you can get enough lift from that... with taller blocks, you give your axle more leverage for axle wrap which can increase sag over time. you can get the atlas's with a heavier spring rate if you want it. with adding the bags, i think your only addressing the cosmetic issue of the sag and not the eventual likely damage.

EDIT: on my 2006 and 2008 i experienced what you're describing and both had larger lift blocks added... on my 2014 which has a much more noticeable softer rear suspension, i don't notice the sag near as bad with similar weights to what you're describing

Last edited by uzikaduzi; 05-22-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
I think what I would try, assuming you have blocks as your primary rear lift, some atlas leafs with the lift you need built in or maybe the factory lift block and shorter shackles if you can get enough lift from that... with taller blocks, you give your axle more leverage for axle wrap which can increase sag over time. you can get the atlas's with a heavier spring rate if you want it. with adding the bags, i think your only addressing the cosmetic issue of the sag and not the eventual likely damage.

EDIT: on my 2006 and 2008 i experienced what you're describing and both had larger lift blocks added... on my 2014 which has a much more noticeable softer rear suspension, i don't notice the sag near as bad with similar weights to what you're describing

Yes, I have a 2" lift block, add a leaf, and track bars to help with any axle wrap. I don't have any axle wrap at the moment, I had just read on every truck forum that the RAS was good at helping with sag a bit. I found a cheap pair at $150 and jumped on it. I found the guy at my work with an ecoboost and he has RAS and air bags. Just removed the RAS because he wanted to recover some of the cost of the bags. He said that they work well together, but the air bags cover most of the issues...and the ride was better with both. He has airlift bags only now.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 PM

seems that no one really knows of the benefit of running both. It says what I though, that both can be ran.

Does the load support cancel out the ride control of the RAS...seems no one knows. Some were saying yes, others said it sounded like a good idea. I might just have to bite the $300 bullet...dammit.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Yes, I have a 2" lift block, add a leaf, and track bars to help with any axle wrap. I don't have any axle wrap at the moment, I had just read on every truck forum that the RAS was good at helping with sag a bit. I found a cheap pair at $150 and jumped on it. I found the guy at my work with an ecoboost and he has RAS and air bags. Just removed the RAS because he wanted to recover some of the cost of the bags. He said that they work well together, but the air bags cover most of the issues...and the ride was better with both. He has airlift bags only now.

i doubt my suggestion is relevant with your set up... looks like you were pretty good about avoiding the common problem of 4-5" lift blocks.

you aren't concerned with the ride quality to sounds like right? just the squat? if so, airbags will obviously allow you to air up to whatever takes that away and air back down to have your normal ride quality without them. I'd say with or without RAS, airbags will do what you want and you can always lose the RAS if it interferes
Old 05-22-2015, 03:11 PM

ride quality? I forgot what that is. I'm on 37" mud tires and a big ol lift. But...I will say that it doesn't ride much different than stock which totally surprised me.

I know that the bags will air me up and allow me to do dangerous things like haul loads over capacity (not that I would). I have also experienced the ride quality enhancement of the RAS.

I just really wonder if both systems can work independently to provide their individual qualities and not hinder one another.

Quick Reply: Anyone running roadmaster RSA ...AND Air bags?