Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issues drilling a second hole in the hitch pin?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any issues drilling a second hole in the hitch pin?

Hey all,

I am trying to get a locking hitch pin so passersby with malice in their heart can't re-appropriate my trailer for their needs. However I keep reading terrible reviews of the locks on locking pins popping off when given some force. Is there any issue with drilling a second small hole about .5 to 1in inward of the lock to put a standard hitch pin clip through? That way the hitch pin clip does the work of keeping everything together and the lock only has to concentrate on staying locked.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The only problem is heat. If you use a very sharp drill bit and don't get the metal of the pin too hot as the drill bit goes through the pin, then probably no problem. Use plenty of drilling oil on the bit, and keep the bit well-oiled as you drill. If the pin gets red-hot, then you may have weakened the pin too much.

Be sure the hole in the pin is centered, and not bigger than the original hole in the pin.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM

Perfect, if it shows signs of heat I will do it in stages to keep it cool. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
The only problem is heat. If you use a very sharp drill bit and don't get the metal of the pin too hot as the drill bit goes through the pin, then probably no problem. Use plenty of drilling oil on the bit, and keep the bit well-oiled as you drill. If the pin gets red-hot, then you may have weakened the pin too much.

Be sure the hole in the pin is centered, and not bigger than the original hole in the pin.
Please tell me how a 1/8 bit is going to make a 5/8 pin red hot. I have locking pins on both my trucks and have drilled them both for 1/8" hair pins so I don't have to mess with keys when security isn't an issue. Drill it and get on with life.
Something like this?
FWIW, I did it strictly for convenience, and the new hole is not accessible with the lock in place, so the two are mutually exclusive. With a 2" receiver you might be able to move the new hole in enough to do it, I have a 2-1/2" receiver. I'm not sure who makes my lock(s) but they're never coming off without the key or a sledge. They lock very securely onto the pin.
Attached Thumbnails Any issues drilling a second hole in the hitch pin?-20170222_162828.jpg  

Last edited by PerryB; 02-23-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

So if I understand correctly you want to lock your hitch. Why not simply buy a dog bone....

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Drilling is no problem, heat is no problem, I have drilled 1/4" hole in 5/8" pin for a small padlock no problem. My favorite solution is 1/4" hole in 5/8" grade 8 bolt and small padlock, doesn't stick out far on either end. Note bolt is long enough so I cut threaded end off. If you want a real secure pin select a bolt with just enough thread so you can screw on a nut then drill through the threads and secure the nut and bolt with padlock.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM

I ended up going with the same set up as Perry B, but it did cause some moderate heat. Enough that you didn't want to wrap your hand around it for fun, but not enough you end up with a hitch pin shaped burn in your hand. Thanks all for the input.

Search this Thread