Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another trailer question

Hey guys, I know topics like this have been asked thousands of times, but I can't seem to make sense of it all... tongue weight, gvwr, etc.

I have a 4x4 2015 Scew 157" wb with 3.5 eb & max tow package, 3.55 gears however it's a sport so it has 20" rims

I'm looking at the following toy haulers, which the manufacturer claims is half ton towable, but I don't know if I'll be maxing out my truck.

I would be carrying an outlander max in the trailer, about 1000lbs with fuel

Option 1
http://forestriverinc.com/product-de...delID=872#Main

Option 2
http://forestriverinc.com/product-de...delID=871#Main

It's the hitch weight that concerns me, as I thought the max hitch weight should be 10% (give or take) of your trucks max capacity

Option 1 is 1124
Option 2 is 1018

What do you guys think?
Too much trailer for my truck?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

What's the payload sticker on the door jam say? Take that and subtract you and everything else that will be in the truck. Then you'll know if those tongue weights will work.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighthawk87
What's the payload sticker on the door jam say? Take that and subtract you and everything else that will be in the truck. Then you'll know if those tongue weights will work.
The payload sticker already assumes a 150lb driver. Then again, when has someone 150lbs been a driver?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Caanam
It's the hitch weight that concerns me, as I thought the max hitch weight should be 10% (give or take) of your trucks max capacity.

Common misconception, because the trailer industry says tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of gross trailer weight.

But in the real world, most tandem-axle cargo and travel trailers have 12% to 15% tongue weight, with the average about 13%. So use 13% in your estimates.

The advertised hitch weight is an empty trailer with absolutely nothing in it, and with no options such as propane tanks or ramps. So ignore the hitch weight and compute your own.

I would consider your #2 trailer because it is almost 500 pounds lighter when empty. 6,494 dry weight plus 1,000 pounds cargo = about 7,500 pounds if you promise to haul nothing else in the trailer, and assuming the dry weight is accurate. 7,500 X 13% = 975 tongue weight, plus another 75 pounds for your weight-distributing hitch = 1,050 hitch weight. (Hitch weight more than 500 pounds requires a weight-distributing hitch, so yes you must have one.)

What do you guys think?
Too much trailer for my truck?
Not enough info to guess. What is the payload capacity of your truck, per the yellow sticker on the driver's door? Subtract the weight of everybody and everything that will be in or on the truck when towing, to determine if you have enough remaining payload capacity to haul 1,050 pounds of hitch weight without being overloaded. (Payload capacity = GVWR of the truck minus the weight of the truck. But it's understated because they assume the shipping weight of the new truck, with no aftermarket options and absolutely nothing in the truck when they weighed it to determine payload capacity.)

Or even more accurate, what is the GVWR of your truck? How much does your wet and loaded truck weigh when loaded with everybody and everything that will be in or on the truck when towing, including a full tank of gas? Subtract the wet and loaded weight of the truck from the GVWR of the truck and the answer is the max hitch weight you can have without being overloaded. (Hitch weight = tongue weight plus the weight of the hitch.)

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-26-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm out of town at work so I don't have my truck with me, but I'll post a pic of the yellow door jam info when I get home.

Funny thing is, I traded in a F350 for the 1/2 ton I have now, wife didn't think we needed a trailer, now 6 months later she's changed her mind and wants to get one
Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by fafafooey
The payload sticker already assumes a 150lb driver. Then again, when has someone 150lbs been a driver?
no it doesn't. I think your confusing it with the tow rating which does.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 PM

Got the info from my truck, it's substantially lower then I thought.

Max Payload 1508
GVWR 7050

is it just me, or does this seem a little low for a truck equipped with max tow package?

That being said, I'm almost positive the two trailers I posted would be too much trailer, can anyone confirm this?
Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Max Payload 1508
GVWR 7050

is it just me, or does this seem a little low for a truck equipped with max tow package?

That being said, I'm almost positive the two trailers I posted would be too much trailer, can anyone confirm this?
I have a 2012 FX2 Sport that does NOT have the MT package. My payload is 15XX. To me that says that something may be out of whack with yours.
I won't try to do the math, because it would all be theoretical, but add your 1,000# outlander and 1,000# of personal gear to the advertised dry weights (which are likely low) and you are way overloaded with 1508# payload.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Max Payload 1508
GVWR 7050

what trim and package is on the truck?

Lariat, correct?
501, 502, etc.?

as for comparing it with other specs, go to this thread and post your stats.
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread...errerid=238002

also, there's a link to an online Onedrive spreadsheet that has the specs cataloged for the posted trucks.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Max Payload 1508
GVWR 7050

For reference. I Have a Lariat w/max tow and 502A package. My payload is 1,652#s. I was hoping for closer to 1800#s but the sun roof, tailgate step, and 36 gallon fuel tank ate into my capacity.

Quick Reply: Another trailer question