Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another towing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Another towing question

Sorry in advance for the long winded post.
We were thinking of getting a Travel Trailer. A friend of a friend has one for sale at what seems a really good deal. The specs are:
Total Dry Weight*
(UVW): 5,890
Dry Hitch Weight*
(LBS): 628
GVWR*
(LBS) 7600
Cargo Carrying Capacity*
(LBS) 1,710

2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS.

So am I thinking correctly that this is just a too much for a non max-tow
7200 gvwr truck with a payload of 1265?
I've done a lot a reading and I'm guessing that 628 lb. hitch weight will be @850 or 900 with propane, batteries and a WDH, which would leave me probably at my limits on payload with little or no gear. I woiuld appreciate some input so I can talk the girlfriend, who is really set on this, out of it in favor of something smaller. I told her that it may be a bit much but she talked to the seller who said they towed it with a 6800 lb. gvwr dodge quad cab from Texas to Utah with no problems. Thoughts and opinions please?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by WH-7
GVWR* (LBS) 7600
So am I thinking correctly that this is just a too much for a non max-tow
7200 gvwr truck with a payload of 1265?
Dry weights are meaningless, so ignore them. Assume your trailer will be near the GVWR after a couple of camping trips, and assume 15% of the trailer's GVWR will be the wet and loaded hitch weight. So up to 1,140 hitch weight.

I've done a lot a reading and I'm guessing that 628 lb. hitch weight will be @850 or 900 with propane, batteries and a WDH, which would leave me probably at my limits on payload with little or no gear.
Yep.

I told her that it may be a bit much but she talked to the seller who said they towed it with a 6800 lb. gvwr dodge quad cab from Texas to Utah with no problems. Thoughts and opinions please?
Folks tow overloaded all the time, and often they get away with it. But knowing ahead of time that a trailer will result in your always towing overloaded would cause some to question how many brain cells you have to rub together.

My F-150 4x2 has GVWR of 7,100 and 1,366 payload per the yellow sticker, but I'm overloaded with my TT that weighs 4,870 when wet and loaded on the road. The TT has a GVWR of 5,600, but we usually travel with it grossing less than 5,000. So you're going to be severely overloaded with that TT that will have a lot more hitch weight than mine at about 600 pounds.

What to do? Trade up to more truck, or down to less trailer. Or maybe change girlfriends?
The following users liked this post:
WH-7 (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

En get a spring helper and go campin.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Dry weights are meaningless, so ignore them. Assume your trailer will be near the GVWR after a couple of camping trips, and assume 15% of the trailer's GVWR will be the wet and loaded hitch weight. So up to 1,140 hitch weight.

Yep.

Folks tow overloaded all the time, and often they get away with it. But knowing ahead of time that a trailer will result in your always towing overloaded would cause some to question how many brain cells you have to rub together.

My F-150 4x2 has GVWR of 7,100 and 1,366 payload per the yellow sticker, but I'm overloaded with my TT that weighs 4,870 when wet and loaded on the road. The TT has a GVWR of 5,600, but we usually travel with it grossing less than 5,000. So you're going to be severely overloaded with that TT that will have a lot more hitch weight than mine at about 600 pounds.

What to do? Trade up to more truck, or down to less trailer. Or maybe change girlfriends?

I like that meter....
Yeah, I don't won't to be overloaded. I will look for a much lesser trailer at least until I can upgrade to a truck that can handle it.

Last edited by WH-7; 03-31-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure to follow the book. You can not have 1 pound over the ford recommended weights or you will kill at least 10 people in your travels!!!!

I(and most of the world) would put 7600 lbs. behind any 1/2 ton that is in good condition! make sure the truck brakes are in good shape and you have a brake controller and you will be just fine. If you want you can use a magic WDH hitch and it would your best bet to add some helper bags so the rear of the truck isn't sagging to the ground. If you do those few things you will be able to tow that trailer all day long with no added issues other then being a ford.

I have said it in a few threads around here if everyone followed your guidelines you would not see very many campers! Not everyone wants to drive and pay for a 2500/250 or 3500/350 so that the towing pamphlet tells them it is ok. Event your ford will do just fine for many many miles with this camper behind it!

Hate on this answer all you want but this is the real world answer! Millions and millions of people operate like I am telling you to do every day. Lots of them are WAY more overloaded then you looking at.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
Make sure to follow the book. You can not have 1 pound over the ford recommended weights or you will kill at least 10 people in your travels!!!!

I(and most of the world) would put 7600 lbs. behind any 1/2 ton that is in good condition! make sure the truck brakes are in good shape and you have a brake controller and you will be just fine. If you want you can use a magic WDH hitch and it would your best bet to add some helper bags so the rear of the truck isn't sagging to the ground. If you do those few things you will be able to tow that trailer all day long with no added issues other then being a ford.

I have said it in a few threads around here if everyone followed your guidelines you would not see very many campers! Not everyone wants to drive and pay for a 2500/250 or 3500/350 so that the towing pamphlet tells them it is ok. Event your ford will do just fine for many many miles with this camper behind it!

Hate on this answer all you want but this is the real world answer! Millions and millions of people operate like I am telling you to do every day. Lots of them are WAY more overloaded then you looking at.
Considering the fact that you believe the 'MAGIC" WDHitch is the same as airbags. I don't really think your in any position to be giving advice on towing??
The following 5 users liked this post by EcoboostKev:
BCMIF150 (04-01-2014), Dirttracker18 (04-01-2014), king nothing (04-01-2014), RedOne (04-03-2014), smurfs_of_war (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500

You are the type of person I avoid when driving. Also why are you even here? All I have ever seen is your 2500 and your Tahoe towing 2 times it's limit.
The following 3 users liked this post by Melbeachmoose20:
Dirttracker18 (04-01-2014), king nothing (04-01-2014), RedOne (04-03-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

My father in-law used to use different size tires on the car, filling the smaller one with more air to make them the same size...

He had original tires on his 1999 Marquis (CROWN VIC!) when in 2008 I forced him to replace the tires (you could see the dry rot from 10 feet away). Then he broke a tire rod, while driving, AFTER the Ford dealer had told him to replace them.

Some people are just unsafe on the road, thinking themselves invincible. The best part of this forum are people stating, for the record, that they drive while overloaded...

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 04-02-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Here's a handy Trailer Weight Calculations & Load Estimator Utility to help you determine how much truck you need based on your trailer specs. Specifically the "Load Estimator" tab will help you.

https://www.f150forum.com/f82/traile...tility-244126/
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I just find it odd that a truck that can tow 10,000# of weight can only handle 500# of hitch weight. Why?

Quick Reply: Another towing question