Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airlift install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAs anyone installed an airlift 5000 & an on board compressor? If so please chime in and help me out with any advice, pictures, or tips. I will be doing this tonight / tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated!!

Last edited by Hookedonhunting; 04-21-2014 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ccc150 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be very interested in this answer also. I have not purchased any yet before picking up a MXT303 this summer.

What is the preferred airbag / compressor combo on the market?
Old 04-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The kit installs very easily. We installed a few of them on company trucks. We chose to upgrade from the ultra basic airlift compressor to a Viair 300c compressor. It pumps faster and it is serviceable per chance you run into any issues. The trucks we installed them in were cab and a half so we put them under the passenger rear seat. They fit perfectly and the compressor isn't loud so when it runs it isn't obnoxious in the cab.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

don't have one, but i bet you could not only get by but be very happy with something less than the 5000... it's really overkill for a 1/2 ton.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Its in now fellas. Wasn't easy. Really could have used a pal to help but i got it done in about 8 hours alone. Installed the Airlift Loadlifter5000 and the heavy duty on board compressor. May be a little overkill but what the hell. I never do anything half ***. LoL. Some guys will say it took them two hours. If thats you......hats off to ya. Your a better mechanic than i. Lol. My hang up was on the electrical. I know that should have been easy but that put me in foreign territory and I wanted to make sure i did it right. Plus Airlift had the wires labeled wrong on the harness which stumped me for an hour and a half. The instructions jumped around quite a bit also which was agitating. However. Now that its in i could do it again in half the time. Works well so far. I've yet to load the truck or trailer but unloaded it works good. I still need to find a fuse thats OFF while not keyed and ON only when the ignition is turned on but for now i am just unplugging it and plugging it in. The moon roof fuse i am using is on full time........however the moon roof only works with the ignition in the ON position.........??? I don't understand that. I will post up some pics soon. I will help anyone i can about the install. Just ask.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
don't have one, but i bet you could not only get by but be very happy with something less than the 5000... it's really overkill for a 1/2 ton.

I can believe it is over kill. Seems pretty kick ***. Could probably use it on a 3/4 ton and be just right. Go big or go home...right?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Where did you put the pump?

As for wiring, I ended up wiring mine off the 30amp 12v switched source that feeds the trailer wiring. Turns out this is not ideal as whenever your trailer wiring is hooked up, even with the tow vehicle ignition source OFF, that circuit will still be energized by the trailer batt (doah!). But otherwise it's a great power source.

I too had a hard time finding any switched sources is the fuse-panel under the hood. The majority is all 12v constant and the few only switched circuits were all engine electronics (aka not circuits you want to overload with any accessories). Bottom line is I need to wire it up directly off the battery and use a relay off of one of the engine switched sources. At least in that configuration there will be no load to the engine switched power.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Hookedonhunting
I can believe it is over kill. Seems pretty kick ***. Could probably use it on a 3/4 ton and be just right. Go big or go home...right?

lol didn't realize you already bought them... just a suggestion to save some $$... I'm sure you'll love them. I hear you get a little lift at the minimum of 5psi... is that true?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:28 PM

I am going to buy a little tester that lights up when it hits constant power. Should make it a little easier to find a "non powered fuse" in the off position.

I ended up putting it in the front of the truck. Sort of behind the grill in front of the engine on a cross member. Should be MINIMAL splash and stay fairly cool.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
lol didn't realize you already bought them... just a suggestion to save some $$... I'm sure you'll love them. I hear you get a little lift at the minimum of 5psi... is that true?

Yes. It sits more like a stock truck with the factory rake now. It's not a huge lift but i notice it. I will get a yard stick and measure it. Didn't think to measure it before the install. Doph. But I will drop it to 5, measure then go up to say 25-30 ish and measure.
The following users liked this post:
uzikaduzi (04-21-2014)

Quick Reply: Airlift install