Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bags removed... not by choice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bags removed... not by choice!

I have a tech question. Just recently purchased a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel (KZ Durango 1500) Dry hitch weight rated at 1375lbs.

The tech a the RV shop explained he had no other option but to remove my Firestone Ride Rite air bags that I installed when I bought the truck in order to accommodate the 5th wheel king pin set up. Apparently the brackets occupy the same section of truck frame.

I also have a RC 2in leveling kit and now without my air bags, truck squats in my opinion way too much with the full weight on the rear suspension. I know there's no towing hazzards for everything is well within specs. Just looks crappy.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Airshocks, add a leaf, Bilstiens? Something???!!! Thanks in advance. John
Old 07-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnsFX4
I have a tech question. Just recently purchased a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel (KZ Durango 1500) Dry hitch weight rated at 1375lbs.

The tech a the RV shop explained he had no other option but to remove my Firestone Ride Rite air bags that I installed when I bought the truck in order to accommodate the 5th wheel king pin set up. Apparently the brackets occupy the same section of truck frame.

I also have a RC 2in leveling kit and now without my air bags, truck squats in my opinion way too much with the full weight on the rear suspension. I know there's no towing hazzards for everything is well within specs. Just looks crappy.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Airshocks, add a leaf, Bilstiens? Something???!!! Thanks in advance. John
RAS, it goes on leaf springs and helps take load and keep springs arched vs sag.

http://www.activesuspension.com/
Old 07-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I'll check it out.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how your 5th wheel is attached to the frame, But couldn't you get longer bolts to attach the airbags to the frame through the 5th wheel brackets? I would go talk to a different hitch installer and get his recommendation.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Id bet you're over weight...
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
Id bet you're over weight...
Probably will be.

And getting a level on a truck used for heavy towing? What could go wrong?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by packplantpath

Probably will be.

And getting a level on a truck used for heavy towing? What could go wrong?
Nothing wrong with a level and heavy towing if you set up your rig right.
The following users liked this post:
JohnsFX4 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 584 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by RES4CUE

Nothing wrong with a level and heavy towing if you set up your rig right.
Well no, but to then think the rear sags due to the weight. The rake of a truck serves a purpose for towing.

And from what I have seen half ton towable 5 wheels are a salesman's dream and an owners regret because most will be overloaded. The op may or not be in that situation. I certainly hope not for his sake.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by packplantpath

Well no, but to then think the rear sags due to the weight. The rake of a truck serves a purpose for towing.

And from what I have seen half ton towable 5 wheels are a salesman's dream and an owners regret because most will be overloaded. The op may or not be in that situation. I certainly hope not for his sake.
Hence the whole question. The OP counteracted the level using air bags which in addition to maintaining level it will also help stabilize load and help with other towing down sides.

Yes 1/2 ton towables are on the heavier side but they are getting lighter and trucks more capable.

I know there are weight police here but I do t take to much stock in the numbers as I've seen trucks over the last three years indelicate to mine in every way but motor have higher payload. So if I have all same equipment such as springs and axles why am I limited vs those? The numbers are a CYA for the manufacture as these trucks are way more capable.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts

OP- can you take a picture of your setup. Specifically the frame brackets for the 5th wheel. What brand of 5th wheel hitch do you have?

Quick Reply: Air bags removed... not by choice!