Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag system for towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air bag system for towing

I've got a 2010 f150 XLT. Crew cab, 6.5 ft box, tow package, 5.4 V8. Towing a new Palomino travel trailer, 31 ft rear to hitch. About 8000 GVW, just under 800 hitch weight (manufacture sticker specs). When accelerating from a stop, there is a shuttering/vibration coming from the rear end, through about 2nd gear. I thought maybe something was wrong with the differential or transmission, took it to ford today, and tech (who runs 2 super duties and a 22000 pound toy hauler) set me straight. He said right away it's the drive shaft, due to the heavy load pushing the back end down, is slightly angled compared to normal driving, which is where the vibration comes from. Also surprised me by saying the newer ecoboosts don't do this, something about the turbo and gearing neutralize this issue my V8 has. He highly recommended I put in an air bag system in the back, to level out the rear and the drive shaft. Any recommendations here, or anyone been through this? I see there are some cheaper alternatives (bumper stop bags that install above the leafs), but I would thing the air bag would be beneficial since it can be customized with more/less air.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Narhodes
I've got a 2010 f150 XLT. Crew cab, 6.5 ft box, tow package, 5.4 V8. Towing a new Palomino travel trailer, 31 ft rear to hitch. About 8000 GVW, just under 800 hitch weight (manufacture sticker specs). When accelerating from a stop, there is a shuttering/vibration coming from the rear end, through about 2nd gear. I thought maybe something was wrong with the differential or transmission, took it to ford today, and tech (who runs 2 super duties and a 22000 pound toy hauler) set me straight. He said right away it's the drive shaft, due to the heavy load pushing the back end down, is slightly angled compared to normal driving, which is where the vibration comes from. Also surprised me by saying the newer ecoboosts don't do this, something about the turbo and gearing neutralize this issue my V8 has. He highly recommended I put in an air bag system in the back, to level out the rear and the drive shaft. Any recommendations here, or anyone been through this? I see there are some cheaper alternatives (bumper stop bags that install above the leafs), but I would thing the air bag would be beneficial since it can be customized with more/less air.
Firestone ride rite air bag system is pretty popular.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:41 AM

Received 70 Likes on 64 Posts

well he was kind of right but it could also be axel wrap as well. I have ran air bags on every truck I have and love them! I use ride rite as a helper but not to increase any weight!

now lets talk axel wrap there's a ton of post on it her and other sites about this very thing. some say timberlands end the wrap and help with loads. but who's to say if its wrap or angles of the third member? bags will fix angles but not axel wrap. good luck

Last edited by blueovelboy; 10-24-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Firestone Ride Rite and love them. If I ever get rid of my truck, I'll put them on the new one.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Message sent
Old 10-25-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm putting the Firestone 2525 with compressor in the am...........Hope it works
Old 10-25-2015, 11:52 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

I had the Firestone Ride Rite on my F150 and they worked great! But if I had to do it again I would use the Air Ride Loadlifter 5000 ultimate bags instead as they have an integrated bump stop which means you don't have a run a minimum pressure when not in use. You can let all the air out and forget about the bags until you need to tow again, then fill to your desired pressure.

With the Firestone's (or any other bag without integrated jounce bumper) you have to maintain 5psi pressure as the minimum to keep the bags from ever being collapsed and damaged. If you have an automatic air pump, it's always coming on to adjust that 5psi pressure and/or if you manually fill you have to constantly check that pressure with the changing seasons, etc..
The following 2 users liked this post by xcntrk:
Jason_Larsen (10-26-2015), RES4CUE (10-25-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by blueovelboy
well he was kind of right but it could also be axel wrap as well. I have ran air bags on every truck I have and love them! I use ride rite as a helper but not to increase any weight!

now lets talk axel wrap there's a ton of post on it her and other sites about this very thing. some say timberlands end the wrap and help with loads. but who's to say if its wrap or angles of the third member? bags will fix angles but not axel wrap. good luck

Thanks blueovel, didn't know what axle wrap was until now!
Old 10-25-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by nitzo
I'm putting the Firestone 2525 with compressor in the am...........Hope it works

Let's us know what you think after its in!
Old 10-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
I had the Firestone Ride Rite on my F150 and they worked great! But if I had to do it again I would use the Air Ride Loadlifter 5000 ultimate bags instead as they have an integrated bump stop which means you don't have a run a minimum pressure when not in use. You can let all the air out and forget about the bags until you need to tow again, then fill to your desired pressure.

With the Firestone's (or any other bag without integrated jounce bumper) you have to maintain 5psi pressure as the minimum to keep the bags from ever being collapsed and damaged. If you have an automatic air pump, it's always coming on to adjust that 5psi pressure and/or if you manually fill you have to constantly check that pressure with the changing seasons, etc..

Thanks xcntrk, I was wondering if the bags needed to maintain a certain psi, so good to know. What you really need to check all that often though, I would think they maintain pressure, maybe check once a month or so?

Living in MN, does salt/sand/snow have a major impact on any of these options, more so than another option?

Quick Reply: Air bag system for towing