Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on what I should do to tow.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Advise on what I should do to tow.

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a 2014 Screw F-150 5.0L. It's got the 3.55 gear ratio. My truck didn't come with a tow package of any sort. I bought it brand new and got them to throw on a hitch and 7 point harness. I now also have an aftermarket brake controller (primus IQ) installed. Right now I tow a pop-up trailer with it and it tows great. My question is, I'm looking at upgrading in the spring to a travel trailer; probably around the 24ft range which could be around 6k fully loaded. (give or take a bit). What other accessories do you guys think I would absolutely need in order for me to tow this thing? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

What hitch did they put in? Class 3? Class 4? In my experience, many times the "tow package" is mainly a hitch and wiring harness, unless the truck has the integrated brake controller and a tow haul button (which I am pretty sure they all have)

I think you'll be fine with what you have- the 2.7" with 3.55 gears is rated for almost 7000 pounds- I would think the 5.0L is rated for more.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:16 PM

I think it's a class IV. It doesn't say on the hitch itself.
It has a yellow D and says:

Weight carrying
Max gross trailer wt: 6000lbs
Max gross tongue wt: 600lbs

Weight Distribution
Max gross trailer wt: 12,000lbs
Max gross tongue wt: 1200lbs
Old 08-16-2016, 01:34 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts

a 6k lb trailer should be no problem. Get a WDH. Learn to set it up properly. Then run through the CAT scales to get the truck/trailer loading correct.

the important things are:
GAWR (front & rear)
GVWR
GCWR

If none of these are exceeded then you're OK. If you get close or barely over one of the ratings, then try adjusting your load to correct for it (except for GCWR no way to change that without losing some weight)

In the end, be smart and do some research on proper loading techniques. You should have no issues.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:03 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info! So would you say I wouldn't need a transmission cooler?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am struggling to find ways to improve the towing of a similar TT (6600 lb loaded) with my 2015 5L screw w/towing pkg. The limiting factor is the "yellow sticker" payload limit (GVWR - weight of vehicle as it left the factory + tank of gas). The weight of passengers and everything you tow or haul has to stay below this (ideally 90% of this). Other than having a good WD and being careful how you load, the consensus seems to be LT rated tires with higher pressures are the best upgrade (yours are probably P rated).
Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by Coffinmaker
Awesome, thanks for the info! So would you say I wouldn't need a transmission cooler?
Hmm....sorry, I really don't feel qualified to answer that. I would guess, no. If you're careful. BUT, I can't say with any certainty.

Does your truck have a tranny temp gauge?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Originally Posted by massspike
I am struggling to find ways to improve the towing of a similar TT (6600 lb loaded) with my 2015 5L screw w/towing pkg. The limiting factor is the "yellow sticker" payload limit (GVWR - weight of vehicle as it left the factory + tank of gas). The weight of passengers and everything you tow or haul has to stay below this (ideally 90% of this). Other than having a good WD and being careful how you load, the consensus seems to LT rated tires with higher pressures are the best upgrade (yours are probably P rated).
very good advice.

definitely increase your tire pressure. But higher rated tires would be best.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffinmaker
I am not qualified either but my 2010 was a similar build to your truck and it didn't need one...my tranny temp gauge never moved even when towing around the Southeast in mid summer. I have also gleaned from other threads that the F150 engine and drivetrain aren't the issue when it comes to towing -- it is the payload (a common problem for 1/2 tons).
Old 08-16-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

also go with the factory ford intergrated brake controller, it head and tails better then others as it intergrates the whole truck and trailer to proportional braking with the swat control vs just the controler with truck and trailer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advise on what I should do to tow.