Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed, WDH or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Advice needed, WDH or not

Hi Everyone, I am about to pick up a 7x14 tandem axle enclosed trailer which has a gvwr of 7,000 lbs. I don't intend on ever seeing that as I will at most be towing 3 or 4 bikes to the track, plus gas, some tools etc. Typically it will be 2 bikes plus gear.

The trailers weight is ~1770 lbs and at least for now I don't see ever putting in over 3,000 lbs. Since I intend to stay under 5,000 lbs would you guys recommend a WDH or would I be ok without?

truck is a '12 ecoboost fx4 with tow package with oem brake controller

I am sure you guys are sick of these type of questions but I just want to make sure I am doing this right from the start.

Picture of one of the bikes for the hell of it

Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

I think you might be in good shape without a WDH.

However, take a look at the sticker on your driver's side door - one will show you the max weight of your truck loaded up (probably 7200 lbs), and the yellow sticker says "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed:" and it will list a weight - which is the weight of the empty truck (well - a full gas tank, but no people, cargo, and before any mods that have been added) subtracted from the max allowable weight.

The payload capacity it lists is the max weight of anything you put into the truck, and the tongue weight of your trailer will count toward that payload capacity.

Also, lay down behind the rear bumper and look up at your hitch. You should see a sticker that will probably say the max tongue weight of a standard hitch will be 500 lbs, and the max for a WDH is probably 1050.

A good tongue weight is probably 10-12% of the total weight of your trailer. If your loaded trailer will weigh 4500 lbs, 10% to 11% of that will be 450 to 495 lbs - right under the limit that would require a WDH.

Bottom line, if you can keep your loaded trailer below 5000 lbs and a tongue weight of 500 lbs, then you shouldn't need a WDH.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

BTW, wait until it warms up and dries out a little bit!!! And have a great time at the track!!! I'll be running a couple of events in my Vette down here in Florida in a couple weeks.

Bob

Last edited by KR Kodi; 03-17-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added BTW
The following users liked this post:
cmoshea (03-17-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

I was pulling my 4000# trailer with 500# tongue weight without a WDH. No problems. That was 12.5% tongue weight, and though the trailer did seem to sway around back there, when watching it thru the rear-view mirror, I rarely noticed it in the truck.

A lower percentage tongue weight may cause more sway issues, and I personally would be uncomfortable towing a high-side trailer at anything under 12% tongue weight unless you had some form of anti-sway control.

Otherwise, I agree with what KR Kodi says and think you should just tow it without the WDH first, measure the weights at a CAT scale, and see how it all works.

Later, if you want, there are some light-weight WDHs for lighter trailers, like Anderson and the smaller Equal-I-Zers, that incorporate anti-sway as well as weight distribution.

Anti-sway control reduces the chances of trailer jack-knifing in emergency stops as well as reducing sway at high speeds caused by passing trucks and high winds. In Europe the travel trailers tend to have very low % tongue weights, so they don't use WDH, but they often have friction or electronic anti-sway control to prevent "snaking" as the Brits call it.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Without.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. After going to give the trailer a review in person I don't think that a WDH would even be possible because it has a 30' v nose unless I got some tabs for the bars welded on or something.

I go to pick up the trailer tomorrow and then hopefully I'll be able to order the parts to set it up inside and then I'll be sure to make a trip to the scales.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

It will help if your load is properly balanced inside the trailer. Be careful not to get too much weight behind the axles as that will induce sway. On the other hand, don't put too much weight ahead of the axles either as that will increase tongue weight and you won't have a WD hitch. 10 to 15% of total trailer weight on the tongue is usually the ideal. Have fun. Be safe.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

It's seldom NOT a good idea. It may be overkill, but it will probably tow with more stability.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks guys got the trailer today and found that if need be I could add tabs to do a WDH. So if it comes down to it, it is an option.

I was initially a bit concerned having the trailer wider than the truck but I got use to it pretty quick.

I plan to add L track from the front to the rear of the trailer so that I can position the motorcycles as needed keeping the trailer evenly distributed.

I think it would be extremely rare if I go over 4200 lbs loaded.

even on the rare occasion of 4 bikes, around 400 lbs each, so 1600 lbs there, going crazy
with packing maybe 500 lbs, so that leaves me at 3800 - 3900.

Once I decide which bike I'm going to track I will likely just bring one to the track and my buddy will have his one bike.

I completely forgot to take a picture of the truck and trailer but next time its hooked up I'll do that and post them.

Thanks again
Old 03-21-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

If you won't be over 4000 lbs total for the trailer, you're in good shape.

As mentioned in other posts, tongue weight in this type trailer should be 10% to 15% of the trailer weight.

It sounds like you should easily be able to load the trailer to achieve the proper tongue weight you want - you should be able to move the bikes forward or rearward, and load the other support stuff in the front or rear of the trailer as necessary to adjust to get the proper tongue weight.

If you get up to 4000 lbs, a 500 lb tongue weight would be 12.5%, i.e., very good!!

You can measure your tongue weight with a bathroom scale. Take a look at this info on how to do it even though your scale may only read up to 250 or 300 lbs:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-d...ue-weight.aspx

Good luck with the trailer, and have a great time at the track!!!

Bob
Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I tow a 7x14 single axle without a WDH for years and it's been fine.

Quick Reply: Advice needed, WDH or not