Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Payload Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding Payload Capacity

I have a 2013 F-150 Crew Cab Ecoboost with the Max Tow Package. I am looking for advice on upgrading the overall payload capacity. First things first is switching to an E Rated tire from the 4-ply stock tires (typically I choose the BFG A/T KO). Then, I usually just add a leaf spring and beat the crap out of my truck from there, but I thought this time I would go to the "professionals" for help.

Pic of the truck below.

Old 03-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

you cant increase the payload-sticker on the door tag....but you can make it carry it better....

tires-add-a-leaf or air bags, better shocks..
The following users liked this post:
acadianbob (03-11-2014)
Old 03-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Careful with those BFG A/T KO's. I love this tire but for some usual reason they stick a D rated tire right in the range of sizes that commonly fit these trucks. I have 20" wheels and in my case the 285/55/20 size is perfect, but is only a D rated tire. If you go up a size you moving into E tires. I ended up going with Duratrac's (285/60/20) instead as nearly all their LT tires are E rated.

Point being, find the size you want then make sure they are appropriately rated.

PS: I love my airbags! There's no way I would go with a non-adjustable add a leaf.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Careful with those BFG A/T KO's. I love this tire but for some usual reason they stick a D rated tire right in the range of sizes that commonly fit these trucks. I have 20" wheels and in my case the 285/55/20 size is perfect, but is only a D rated tire. If you go up a size you moving into E tires. I ended up going with Duratrac's (285/60/20) instead as nearly all their LT tires are E rated.

Point being, find the size you want then make sure they are appropriately rated.

PS: I love my airbags! There's no way I would go with a non-adjustable add a leaf.
I love this...'only' D rated. Check the load rating for that D rated tire and I guarantee it is over 3000lb per tire which means a pair of them is rated far above your wheel, axle or spring ratings.

Heck, the P-rated tires that come on most F150's are rated for more weight than the wheels. Factory wheels are only rated for 2025 lb unless you have max tow (the 7-lug wheels are rated for 2400 lb...which is still far less than load range D tires are typically rated to carry)

As for adding payload capacity, you can upgrade wheels, springs, axle and tires but none of it will change that sticker on the door.
The following users liked this post:
nihilus (03-13-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 11screw50
I love this...'only' D rated. Check the load rating for that D rated tire and I guarantee it is over 3000lb per tire which means a pair of them is rated far above your wheel, axle or spring ratings.

Heck, the P-rated tires that come on most F150's are rated for more weight than the wheels. Factory wheels are only rated for 2025 lb unless you have max tow (the 7-lug wheels are rated for 2400 lb...which is still far less than load range D tires are typically rated to carry)

As for adding payload capacity, you can upgrade wheels, springs, axle and tires but none of it will change that sticker on the door.
You're only basing that position on the load rating - which is only HALF of the benefit from running LT tires. The other factor is side-wall strength. The P-Rated Scorpions have a load rating of 2400 lbs each. That's enough rating to exceed both the wheel (20") & suspension payload. But they're still only a 4-ply tire which means under load they "wallow" as they shift back and forth on the rim. Here's a simple illustration for all with P-Rated Scorpions, put your foot on the top of your tire and give it a good push. You will see the entire vehicle rock back and forth not in suspension, but in weak side-wall flex. Now apply that image to going down the road with 1000lbs of payload.

D-rated tires improve that sidewall strength up to 8-ply while E-rated extend up to 10-ply. Any sidewall flex under load results in vehicle movement - which was my point.

This is the reason that those who frequently tow want to upgrade to an LT tire - not because of the astronomical load rating.

Last edited by xcntrk; 03-11-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntrk
You're only basing that position on the load rating - which is only HALF of the benefit from running LT tires. The other factor is side-wall strength. The P-Rated Scorpions have a load rating of 2400 lbs each. That's enough rating to exceed both the wheel (20") & suspension payload. But they're still only a 4-ply tire which means under load they "wallow" as they shift back and forth on the rim. Here's a simple illustration for all with P-Rated Scorpions, put your foot on the top of your tire and give it a good push. You will see the entire vehicle rock back and forth not in suspension, but in weak side-wall flex. Now apply that image to going down the road with 1000lbs of payload.

D-rated tires improve that sidewall strength up to 8-ply while E-rated extend up to 10-ply. Any sidewall flex under load results in vehicle movement - which was my point.

This is the reason that those who frequently tow want to upgrade to an LT tire - not because of the astronomical load rating.
I agree with what you are saying, when I read your initial post, I read it as referring to weight. My mistake.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:09 PM

Plus everybody needs an excuse to get some new tires!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

My buddy and I have almost identical F150's. His has P metrics and mine has LT's. My truck handles better and I think the tires are the reason. My tires wear more evenly too.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Springs or bags. If you tow often... Springs. Otherwise I say bags so you do t have a stiffy ride all the time.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Thought I would give my opinion. I have a 07 f150 fx4 with tow and I installed air bags and upgraded tires, to handle my 20 ft inclosed trailer loaded with insulation weight about 8000 pounds with trailer and It honestly does the job just fine yet when not towing with no air rides like before I installed them. I just want to pull over the guys dragging there bumper down the road , any damage caused by air bags isn't as bad as being that (guy)

Quick Reply: Adding Payload Capacity