Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4.2 towing upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 4.2 towing upgrades?

Hi guys , i have a 1998 4.2l f150 reg cab , automatic , Axle code 19 (assuming my infor is right that should be a 3.55 non limited slip).

In the relativly near future im looking at making her a tow vehicle for my mustang (to and from tracks as well as some long hauls over 1k miles each way)

My question is What are modifications i can do to up the towing capacity of my f150? Trying to stuck with the v6 and auto so im not rly interested in going for a bigger engine (mainly if i dont have to)
Total weight im looking to tow is a lil south of 6k so im trying to get a save tow weight of around 6500.

keeping in mind when towing it will more than probably me as well as the wife so it has to be able to handle the weight safely and for long distances when need be. Thanks for any info in advance.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM

anything i can do ?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

6500# for 1000k is quite a bit to ask of that 4.2 6500lbs is a lot heavier behind a truck then you may think. You could put an add a leaf in the back or air bags if it's sagging the truck at all. Make sure the cooling system is up to snuff and it wouldn't be a bad idea to add a transmission cooler. But like I said that 4.2 is gonna be working to pull that. Poor trucks tongue will be hanging out of the grill. Probably the best thing you can do is swap gears to a lower ( higher numerically) gear set.
The following users liked this post:
Zombiez (07-07-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

X2

That's a load for that truck. Biggest thing you can do is not try to rush it. Keep speeds no faster than 60. How you load the car on the trailer will be very important. Tongue weight will be at a premium.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 AM

k , the only things i thought about off front was a good trans cooler an aftermarket oil cooler upgrading anything i can for the liquid cooling (not sure if theres a better aftermarket water pump for an F150) .

You said add a leaf in the back? im sorry but im not sure what that is , i assume it obveously has to do with suspension. The truck has 3.55 gears atm im not trying to kill mileage but i know theres gonna be some give and take with towing just trying to keep is decent for long hauls. Considering i wont be traveling at posted highways speeds while towing (meaning im not nuts enough to tow at 75mph with a 4.2) What would be better 3.73 or step up to 4.10 ?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Zombiez
k , the only things i thought about off front was a good trans cooler an aftermarket oil cooler upgrading anything i can for the liquid cooling (not sure if theres a better aftermarket water pump for an F150) .

You said add a leaf in the back? im sorry but im not sure what that is , i assume it obveously has to do with suspension. The truck has 3.55 gears atm im not trying to kill mileage but i know theres gonna be some give and take with towing just trying to keep is decent for long hauls. Considering i wont be traveling at posted highways speeds while towing (meaning im not nuts enough to tow at 75mph with a 4.2) What would be better 3.73 or step up to 4.10 ?
An add a leaf is just an extra leaf spring in the back to help the truck from sagging... Going from 3.55 to 3.73 would be a bit of a difference but stepping up to 4.10 may help your truck live longer! It's a lot of weight for that 4.2 so you need every advantage you can get
Zombiez (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Oil cooler is a great idea.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM

well honestly im use to mustangs and i had 4.10 in my last mustang but a truck is a whole diff beast and acts very diff (mainly since im not going for speed)
so adding anding an extra leaf will help my rear not sag , how do i tell the Lip , Tongue weight or w/e the appropriate term is for the weight at the hitch point.

trying to make the truck live long and do as much as she can. is there anything on the motor end i can do ? performance wise to help her stress less when towing the load ?

Consider im breaking into the top end within the next day or 2 to rebuild the heads. if theres any internal parts you guys can think of let me know since i dont want to rly have to break into her at a later date ( wanna do everything right the 1st time rather than half **** it and be back doing it again).
Old 07-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zombiez
well honestly im use to mustangs and i had 4.10 in my last mustang but a truck is a whole diff beast and acts very diff (mainly since im not going for speed)
so adding anding an extra leaf will help my rear not sag , how do i tell the Lip , Tongue weight or w/e the appropriate term is for the weight at the hitch point.

trying to make the truck live long and do as much as she can. is there anything on the motor end i can do ? performance wise to help her stress less when towing the load ?

Consider im breaking into the top end within the next day or 2 to rebuild the heads. if theres any internal parts you guys can think of let me know since i dont want to rly have to break into her at a later date ( wanna do everything right the 1st time rather than half **** it and be back doing it again).
Where are you towing from? The ball on the bumper or have you got a Reese hitch? The bumper I dont believe is rated for a lot. Add a leaf or airbags will eliminate sag. As far as performance I also have a 2000 4.2 and there's not really a whole lot in the way of performance parts. But it's been years since I've checked. Clean air filter new fuel filter and fresh oil will help it live. I'm not sure if there's cams or higher compression pistons and stuff fir this motor.
Zombiez (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM

towing form a hitch, i honestly dont trust the bumpers for anything (as i have seen them do some funky crap on friends truck ) would u guys recomend Leaf or an air system?

and are we talking an air system like this http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=6777 or something more ? (price only will make it a lil longer to get but like i said doing it right the 1st time for me is Key)

would i also want to do Leafs just cuz im down there as well ? found these but agian im new to this so let me know
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....oducts_id=9311

Last edited by Zombiez; 07-07-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added some info

Quick Reply: 98 4.2 towing upgrades?