Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 pin trailer lights installation

Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 pin trailer lights installation

I have a 1996 f150 and I pull trailers regularly. My car trailer has 4 pin lights, and so does my truck so no problem. However, the trailer is a pretty big car trailer so I want to fix the trailer brakes on it and set it up 7 pin. I also borrow trailers from time to time and some have 7 pin, so I am driving with no lights on the trailer sometimes. Obviously I don't want a ticket but I also don't want to get into an accedent because of this. I want to set my truck up with a 7 pin recevier and a brake controler.

On the back of the truck there is a 4 pin recevier and about 12 inches of wire, then it goes to a plug were it goes into a wire harness. I am pretty sure that a new dual recover will have the 4 pin on the back that just hooks to the original 4 wires that are on the truck. What about the other 3 wires? I am pretty sure one is ground, I don't know what the blue and black do. There is another plug behind the bumper with a cap on it. The plug also has 3 wires that are blue, black and orange. They go into the harness but I don't know where they go. I looked under the dash but don't see where they would go to the brake controler. I have no idea what those wires do have to do with trailers, if anything.

One last question. If I get a dual recover can I just hook the 4 main wires to the dual recever and pull 7 pin trailers? This way I can at least have lights until I can get a brake controler installed.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 AM
oya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Take a look at theses they are pretty nice and easy to install: http://www.curtmfg.com/part/57672 you can plug it in and tie the white wire with an eye terminal to the frame. If you plan not using the others wires cover them. blue goes to the brake controller output, yellow to the backup signal and black to constant 12v power.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is a diagram for your 7 pin connector showing both the truck & trailer ends
Attached Files
File Type: doc
7 pin connector wiring.doc (94.5 KB, 55 views)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7 pin trailer lights installation