Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2 harley, 22s, 6k trailer 2k mile towing review

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 6.2 harley, 22s, 6k trailer 2k mile towing review

the wife and i just got back from our 2k mile road trip to mustang week in myrtle beach SC yesterday.we pulled the 03 cobra out there and i must say im impressed buy the experience
truck details:
'12 harley with 6.2 factory brake controller, factory tranny cooler, factory 22s with 305 45 22 hankook tires, 3.73s, fox 2.0 at all corners, factory hitch with andersen 4" drop mount and timbrens (helper spings)
trailer details:
texas bragg 7k car hauler (little over 2k empty) 03 vert cobra (little under 4k wet), electric brakes
this was part of our family vacation so we were loaded down with 2 adults and 2 kids and all the gear you need for a beach trip with 2 kids under 4 and everything you need for a car show (jack, spares for all three vehicles and all tools). total mileage was 1920, 1900 was with the loaded trailer. ive been researching since i bought my truck about its towing capacity and was shocked to find out it could only handle 5k. so i switched and added a few things to help it handle the weight. the biggest difference was the addition of the timbrens. my truck sits perfectly level with the trailer loaded and there is virtually no sway or bounce either. the ride was very pleasant and i feel the truck handled it great. i know the 6.2 has all the power it needs and i feel the truck handled the weight. no issues stopping or accelerating. alot of the route was hilly (to me at least) and we were able to stay in 6th most of the time except for the crest of some hills it would drop to 5th. outside temps were above 100 most of the trip and tranny temps never went above 201, mostly 197-199. and i averaged 11.1 mpg for the trip going 70
point of the thread: these trucks can handle a few more lbs than they are rated for. im not suggesting that everyone goes out and dismisses the manufacturer ratings. i knew there were a few short comings, mainly tires and rear springs, so i addressed them and think they did great. there have been multiple threads on here lately with guys asking about towing right above the hitch limit, bottom line is know your truck and its limits and use your head. i wouldnt hesitate to drive cross country with this set up
truck loaded and ready for trip
Name:  IMG_20150710_102257391_HDR.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  333.5 KB
trip info
Name:  IMG_20150720_222239004.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  201.1 KB

Quick Reply: 6.2 harley, 22s, 6k trailer 2k mile towing review