Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Wheel Toy Hauler for F-150 Ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5th Wheel Toy Hauler for F-150 Ecoboost?

Does anyone know if any RV manufacturer has come out with a light 5th wheel toy hauler that can be towed with the F-150 Ecoboost. I need a toy hauler and have been looking at bumper tow but reading all the posts about 5th wheels and how they tow better it sounds like a 5th wheel toy hauler would be a great option. Just can't seem to find any.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

That fact that you are starting out with a half ton trying to find a regular 5th wheel that will keep you within your ratings is hard enough nevermind a toy hauler. Your better off with a bumper tow this way you will have a ton more room and be within your limits. If you are that worried about how it will tow you can always spend the extra $$ and get a Hensley or Propride hitch that guarantee a no sway and a perfect tow or your money back. I personally use the Equal-i-zer with 4 way sway control and have no problems towing my 33' travel trailer.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeh its almost sad how people think the ecoboost can tow so much. You almost need a 250 for most 5th wheels.

No offense of course. It mostly marketing.

Last edited by dereku; 01-03-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

I think it's a common thing really. most people don't know the difference between payload and towing capacity. let alone the acronym soup that goes with weight ratings.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Former Powerstroker

Originally Posted by jcain
I think it's a common thing really. most people don't know the difference between payload and towing capacity. let alone the acronym soup that goes with weight ratings.
I thought i had a firm handle on the topic bit what is soup?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think he means all the different acronym's that go along with ratings, GVMW, GVRAW, GWANSANSLSAKS etc.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dereku
Yeh its almost sad how people think the ecoboost can tow so much. You almost need a 250 for most 5th wheels.

No offense of course. It mostly marketing.
That's where people get confused. My truck has a tow rating over 11,000lbs but because of the lack of payload i can't see how you can ever get close to that weight and be legal. But i will say if the Ecoboost motor was in a stronger framed truck it would tow every bit of 11,000lbs without a problem....
Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

You aren't likely going to find a TH 5'r that will be within your ratings. Not likely the answer you wanted, but the answer you needed to hear. Sorry.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I realized when I asked the question it would be a long shot. Sorry if some thought it was a dumb question. I have learned a lot from these forums in the last few days and throughout life have learned if you don't ask you don't learn, understand or obtain anything. Thanks to these forums I have become familiar with tow ratings, hitch weights and payload. After joining this forum I discovered lots of people legally towing regular 5th wheels with half ton pickups. With a toy hauler most of the weight is on the back of the trailer making hitch weight and payload much less so I don't believe a 5th wheel toyhauler would be out of the question as the RV Manufacturers find a way to make them lighter ever year. However, as EcoboostKev commented, I will probably go with a KZ MXT 303 or a Coachman/ForestRiver 301 BLDS with a a quality weight distributing hitch but before I made that final decision I wanted to ask about the 5th wheel toy hauler.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Former Powerstroker

No question is dumb. Better to ask then be wrong.

Quick Reply: 5th Wheel Toy Hauler for F-150 Ecoboost?