Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 with headers and Boss intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 with headers and Boss intake

We have a 2014 supercrew with the 5.0 and 3.73 gears. Max towing is 9300lbs according to the specs. We are getting a travel trailer in the future and want to get the biggest possible that's still within towing limits. Reading many posts, it seems that the 5.0 for towing is 50/50 good or not so good, and that it'll be more in the upper RPM range for torque production.

We're thinking of installing long tube headers to help with low end torque and also the Boss 302 intake. Already have the 5star tow tune and Solo Mach X exhaust.

Does anyone have either one or both installed and can comment on towing with it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 6fthook; 06-14-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Power and torque to PULL a trailer is not your limiter. Your stock 5.0L engine and drivetrain has plenty of power and torque to pull any trailer that will not result in exceeding the payload capacity of your F-150.

So your limiter as to max weigh of a trailer is the payload capacity of your F-150.

GVWR of the F-150 minus the weight of the wet and loaded F-150 ready to tow the trailer, including the weight of the weight-distributing hitch, will tell you the max tongue weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that max tongue weight by 0.13 and the answer is the max GVWR of any travel trailer you should consider towing. (Your real-world tow rating will probably be several thousand pounds less than the 9,300 tow rating Ford says you can tow. Because Ford assumes an empty truck with no options not required to achieve that 9,300 tow rating, but you your truck won't be empty and you probably have some options and toolbox and maybe a bed rug, passengers, pets, campfire wood and other weight. My tow rating is 8,000 pounds, but my real-world trailer weight limit is less than 5,000 pounds.)

There are no mods you can do at any reasonable cost to increase the GVWR (and payload capacity) of your F-150. The only thing that works is to trade your F-150 for heavier-duty pickup. The F-150 with the heavy duty payload package (HDPP) will increase your GVWR by several hundred pounds, but it's a factory option that cannot be added to your pickup - and they are rare. So the only reasonable alternative is to trade for an F-250 or F-350 SRW or a dually if you want to tow a TT with GVWR more than about 6,000 pounds.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-14-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Power and torque to PULL a trailer is not your limiter. Your stock 5.0L engine and drivetrain has plenty of power and torque to pull any trailer that will not result in exceeding the payload capacity of your F-150.

So your limiter as to max weigh of a trailer is the payload capacity of your F-150.

GVWR of the F-150 minus the weight of the wet and loaded F-150 ready to tow the trailer, including the weight of the weight-distributing hitch, will tell you the max tongue weight you can have without being overloaded. Divide that max tongue weight by 0.13 and the answer is the max GVWR of any travel trailer you should consider towing. (Your real-world tow rating will probably be several thousand pounds less than the 9,300 tow rating Ford says you can tow. Because Ford assumes an empty truck with no options not required to achieve that 9,300 tow rating, but you your truck won't be empty and you probably have some options and toolbox and maybe a bed rug, passengers, pets, campfire wood and other weight. My tow rating is 8,000 pounds, but my real-world trailer weight limit is less than 5,000 pounds.)

There are no mods you can do at any reasonable cost to increase the GVWR (and payload capacity) of your F-150. The only thing that works is to trade your F-150 for heavier-duty pickup. The F-150 with the heavy duty payload package (HDPP) will increase your GVWR by several hundred pounds, but it's a factory option that cannot be added to your pickup - and they are rare. So the only reasonable alternative is to trade for an F-250 or F-350 SRW or a dually if you want to tow a TT with GVWR more than about 6,000 pounds.
You are right that payload will be his limiting factor however, you continually ignore the fact that '15+ F150's have much higher available payload than the previous gen.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by 11screw50
You are right that payload will be his limiting factor however, you continually ignore the fact that '15+ F150's have much higher available payload than the previous gen.

His F-150 is a 2014, so my comments stand.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:33 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
His F-150 is a 2014, so my comments stand.
I wasn't referring to the comments about his current truck and the inability to increase payload.

I was referring to your only reasonable alternative being to go to an F250 or F350 while completely ignoring the new F150 that could also be a solution (depending on exactly how big he wants to go).
Old 06-14-2016, 05:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just because Ford rates the truck to tow 9000 pounds, I wouldn't want to put that much weight behind a 1/2 ton truck. You need some *** in front of that load going down the road so the trailer doesn't whip the tow rig all over the road if it starts to sway. That's why dually pick-ups became popular.

My truck is rated to tow 9100 pounds. I had a 6x12 trailer on the back that weighed a total of around 2500 pounds with load. It didn't sway and whip the truck around, but I definitely felt it back there.

Just use some common sense is what I'm trying to say I guess.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The best thing you can do is buy the trailer that you want and try pulling it around. See for yourself if the 5.0 will do what you want. If after a few pulls you think that the engine needs a little help than switch to the 4.11 gear set. This change will, by far, give you the biggest bang for your buck and since FORD did offer the 4.11 in your truck it should be a rather easy install. The downside is that the 4.11 gear set will result in higher running RPM's and worse gas mileage.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I pull 8 to 9k on a regular basis with my 2013. Mine is a STX SCAB 4x4k. Probably same GCWR as yours or similar at 7350. I don't exceed payload or RAWR of the truck, but I am right at both. With 9K I am over the GCWR, but under the others. My truck is very basic, no power seats, no moon roof, no super sound system etc, just a no frills work Truck. My trailer is a light weight GN 3Horse. Most of the loaded weight is on the trailer tandems. It has about 1k pin weight at 9k towed load. That leaves me just enough payload to be at my GVWR.

The GN does not sway and it pulls well even in the KY, TN, and Southern ohio hills. It will wind up a bit pulling hills but 4th gear is usually as low as it goes to maintain speed on most interstate hills. Might hit 3rd on very long steep ones, but not often or unless I get slowed down by slower traffic. I love the way the truck pulls.

Quick Reply: 5.0 with headers and Boss intake