Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2WD Okay for Pulling Travel Trailer?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2WD Okay for Pulling Travel Trailer?

Anyone out there that pulling a travel trailer with 2WD and open differential? Is that okay for national park type summer camping. All the camp sites I have been to have had paved roads. I'm thinking I would be fine with that setup. Agree?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by 2talltechie
Anyone out there that pulling a travel trailer with 2WD and open differential? Is that okay for national park type summer camping. All the camp sites I have been to have had paved roads. I'm thinking I would be fine with that setup. Agree?
Sure.

With paved/gravel roads and campsites, and if your trailer is a light weight you'll even be fine off-road.

I've got an FX2 and am fine for the most part. Get good mileage. But my next truck will be a 4x4.

The new trailer is getting up to 8000# and on several occasions I've had issues when backing into a site that's sandy, muddy, wet grass, or tilted. Once both rear wheels leave the pavement, there can be problems with a heavy trailer. Never had a problem with my old light weight trailer though ...

Anyway, now I carry some lengths of rope to loop through the rear wheels when they start slipping in the mud. And as we want to spend more time boon-docking and exploring off-road, the next truck will be a 4x4.

Last edited by brulaz; 01-21-2015 at 07:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by brulaz:
2talltechie (01-21-2015), BCMIF150 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
you'll even be fine off-road.
Have to disagree with this part. You will be fine in the venue that you describe. However, 2WD on loose or wet surfaces can quickly turn to trouble. Several times, I have had to engage 4WD to back my trailer into a site. All it takes is wet grass or loose gravel.

Just be careful not to get yourself into a situation that you will not be able to get out of.

Have fun. Be safe.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You'll be fine as long as you stay on the pavement.

The only times I've used 4wd towing my travel trailer have out boondocking, such as getting to a spot out on the sand, climbing or descending steep gravel roads, or trying to maneuver around on wet grass or mud. But usual national/state park camping I've never needed it.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
Have to disagree with this part. You will be fine in the venue that you describe. However, 2WD on loose or wet surfaces can quickly turn to trouble. Several times, I have had to engage 4WD to back my trailer into a site. All it takes is wet grass or loose gravel.

Just be careful not to get yourself into a situation that you will not be able to get out of.

Have fun. Be safe.
I've had an issue like this with my 2WD truck and backing up a pop up camper. Couldn't get any traction on the wet gravel, plus having to push it up hill a bit. 4WD would have really helped me out there.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by 2talltechie

I have had a no-restrictions driver's license for 62 years. I have owned over a hundred different vehicles, but never a 4x4. And for about 30 of those years I lived in snow country of Maine, Nebraska and Colorado. So nobody can convince me I need 4x4. But then I know how to drive without it.

But open axle is another thing. Most of my rear-wheel-drive vehicles had open axles, and I was able to "make do". But I had to pay attention and not get off in mud or deep snow. My current F-150 has electronic-locking rear diff. Wonderful! I rarely need to lock the diff, but when I need it I need it. So if ordering a new tow vehicle, order 4x2 with an e-locker rear axle. You'll probably be glad you did. But if your current tow vehicle has an open axle, just "learn to drive" and use your head and don't pull off into mud or deep snow.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 169 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz

Anyway, now I carry some lengths of rope to loop through the rear wheels when they start slipping in the mud. And as we want to spend more time boon-docking and exploring off-road, the next truck will be a 4x4.
Care to explain what the rope is for? Thats a new one to me
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by king nothing
Care to explain what the rope is for? Thats a new one to me

Wrap rope around the wheel and tire, through the openings in your wheel, kinda makes it operate like paddle tires.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:25 PM

Dupe, lousy internet connection.

Last edited by brulaz; 01-21-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Team Canada
Wrap rope around the wheel and tire, through the openings in your wheel, kinda makes it operate like paddle tires.
^^^^This ^^^^

Use 3/4" rope, coil it around many times, then tighten by running the rope from a coil on one side to the other and pulling hard. Hard to describe but there's at least one good youtube video (I like the English guy).

With chains, you typically have to lay them out and drive onto them. Hard to do when you're stuck and wheel spinning.

I wouldn't drive a long distance with rope, but it seems like a good way to get out of the mud.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2WD Okay for Pulling Travel Trailer?