Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Tongue weight???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2016 Tongue weight???

Looking to find out the max tow weight for my truck.. I can't find it anywhere on the ford site. It's a 2016 with the tow package, super crew 4x4 5.0L

All I can find is how much I can tow, but i'm actually just looking to using a hitch mounted motorcycle carrier and I don't want to damage anything.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:19 AM

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Hi, on the bottom of your truck's receiver there is a tag which tells you how much weight you can carry on it. [around 500 lbs.] It also tells you how much tongue weight can be used with a WD hitch. [usually near 1,000 lbs.]

So your hitch mounted motorcycle carrier, and motorcycle, should weigh about 500 lbs. of less.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by robertsunrus
Hi, on the bottom of your truck's receiver there is a tag which tells you how much weight you can carry on it. [around 500 lbs.] It also tells you how much tongue weight can be used with a WD hitch. [usually near 1,000 lbs.]

So your hitch mounted motorcycle carrier, and motorcycle, should weigh about 500 lbs. of less.
Thank you. What is a "WD" hitch? I've never towed anything before so this is all new to me!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Tongue weight max of around 1,000lbs with a Class IV hitch.

Id worry more about the carrier's integrity
The following users liked this post:
tenny80 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by tenny80
Thank you. What is a "WD" hitch? I've never towed anything before so this is all new to me!
Weight distributing
tenny80 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...on-systems.htm

2016 Ford towing guide:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...e_r3_Nov12.pdf

Go to page 16 and look up your truck

tongue weight is not tow weight. Tongue weight is the amount of pressure the trailer puts on the hitch ball. Normally somewhere between 10-15% of gross trailer weight, in order to prevent trailer sway.

There's lots to look at and it may seem complicated, but it's not really.

Calculate/measure what your GCWR is. that is your trailer weight and truck curb weight plus cargo in the truck. You can't be over your GCWR.

Then there's you GVWR. This is the truck curb weight plus passengers and cargo. Tongue weight is considered part of cargo. You can't be over your GVWR.

Then there's tongue weight. Your tongue weight can't be over the weight rating for the actual hitch installed on your truck.

Then there's the trailer rating. Your trailer weight can't be higher than the charted value above (page 16). Obviously, your actual trailer weight can't be over the trailer's rated GVWR

Anything over 5000 lb gross trailer weight usually calls for a WDH. Which also works out to about 500-750lb tongue weight.

Last edited by Great white; 01-24-2017 at 01:10 PM.
tenny80 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful! my tow rating is 9100lbs so it looks like I have more then enough to carry 1 or even 2 dirt bikes on a hitch carrier. (carrier is 100lbs and 325lbs per bike). I'd likely only have 1 bike the majority of the time.

It looks like it would be a lot easier to load the bike on the hitch mount carrier, and it frees up the entire truck bed for camping gear. I did find a "bed buddy" from a company called CCR that looks like it would work really well as well and just put the bikes in the bed.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

Ford only rates the truck for 500 lb without a WDH because when you put weight on the hitch the rear axle acts a pivot point lifting weight off the front axle. If you put 600 pounds 72.5" behind the rear axle it will lift 300 lb off the front axle of a 145" WB Truck. Any weight loaded behind the rear axle in the bed will exasperate the problem.
tenny80 (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tenny80
Thanks guys, very helpful! my tow rating is 9100lbs so it looks like I have more then enough to carry 1 or even 2 dirt bikes on a hitch carrier. (carrier is 100lbs and 325lbs per bike). I'd likely only have 1 bike the majority of the time.

It looks like it would be a lot easier to load the bike on the hitch mount carrier, and it frees up the entire truck bed for camping gear. I did find a "bed buddy" from a company called CCR that looks like it would work really well as well and just put the bikes in the bed.
When you say hitch carrier do you mean the carrier attaches directly to the hitch receiver?

If the answer is yes then you cannot take two bikes and even one is likely to be close to the limit. The hitch receiver in the truck will have a label on it with its ratings. Likely it will be 500/5000 for no WDH which is what you would use for a receiver mounted carrier. This means you cannot exceed 500 lbs for the total weight attached to the receiver. This is regardless of you towing weight capacity. If you do not want to carry the bikes in the bed then your should look into a small motorcycle trailer.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by old_programmer
When you say hitch carrier do you mean the carrier attaches directly to the hitch receiver?

If the answer is yes then you cannot take two bikes and even one is likely to be close to the limit. The hitch receiver in the truck will have a label on it with its ratings. Likely it will be 500/5000 for no WDH which is what you would use for a receiver mounted carrier. This means you cannot exceed 500 lbs for the total weight attached to the receiver. This is regardless of you towing weight capacity. If you do not want to carry the bikes in the bed then your should look into a small motorcycle trailer.

Thank you for the information. I see lots of pictures carrying the 2 dirt bikes behind small SUV's so I thought for sure the F150 would be able to handle it.

Seems like it will be easier to just put them in the bed of the truck and not have to worry about calculating weights, etc. I am going to go with one of these : http://ccrsport.com/bed-buddy-motorc...-full-size-60/