Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 xlt ebc

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2015 xlt ebc

I got a Winnebago 2451BHS with a dry weight of 4,880lbs that has electric brakes so I found myself in the need for an EBC.

My truck came with the tow package but not the controller in the dash. Picked one up from my Ford dealer for $141 and installed last night. It wasn't too bad and took about 30 minutes. You do have to take apart a lot of sections from the dash (starting from the top center speaker and working your way down) but it's easy.

I now have to take the truck in tomorrow for them to reboot the OBC so that it recognizes the EBC and I'll go get the trailer on Friday.

This will be my first RV and we are looking forward to all the camping this season. I need to learn how to drive around towing this thing (27' long), especially in reverse
Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The Ford integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) is an excellent choice. I really like the performance of my ITBC for towing my TT. I ordered mine as optional equipment on my new F-150 back in 2012, so I didn't have to go through the install process.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Smokeywren,

Thanks for your quick respsonse. Reassuring to hear that for someone with your experience the ITBC does the trick.

I would like to hear your opinion on the towing setup I'll be running:

I looked for lightweight trailers because I wanted to stay below 5,000 lbs dry weight so that I would end up below 6,000 lbs loaded. I also wanted bunk beds and a slide out. This narrowed my options to aluminum framed TTs and the Winnebago Minnie was the best one I could find. I also got a WDH with anti-sway bar.

Do you think I'll need mirror extensions? The trailer is 8ft wide.

Last edited by catrasca; 05-04-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:52 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by catrasca
Do you think I'll need mirror extensions? The trailer is 8ft wide.
Yes, you definitely need towing mirrors for any trailer that is taller and wider than your tailgate.

I have never found mirror extensions that worked well. On my current F-150, I replaced the stock little outside mirrors with the optional towing mirrors. My '99 F-250 had stock towing mirrors that worked well. Before that I used some sort of mirror extensions. Way back when, I found towing mirrors that clamped to the front fender well of my tow vehicle, and were adjustable to give me a good view behind the trailer. I haven't seen those towing mirrors lately.

If your F-150 is a 2011 thru 2014, you can order the Ford optional towing mirrors from the accessories catalog. My 2012 Lariat came with fancy little mirrors with memory and automatic dimming. The accessories catalog has two versions. XLT without the memory or the automatic dimming, and slightly fancier with memory but not automatic dimming. I went with the less-expensive version and have been happy. For a 2015-up the only tow mirrors in the accessories catalog right now is the XL version, with manual glass and telescope and folding. Certainly better than any mirror extensions, but you must do without power mirrors. Here's mine for a 2011-2014 F-150:
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...rd/dl3z17696ba

The instructions say dealer install only, but anyone that can find the little screw in the door pull can do it in about 15 minutes for each one. The kit contains both mirrors, and the install is plug and play.

For a '15 up, you have to buy them from the parts counter for almost $1,000 each for the power tow mirrors, but then you'll get power glass, power telescope and I think power fold if your truck has power fold outside mirrors.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-04-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
... but anyone that can find the little screw in the door pull ....

Yep, that one stymied me, until I did what any self-respecting DIYer would do: crack open a beer and fire up youtube.

Quick Reply: 2015 xlt ebc