Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 xl 3.5 n/a

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2015 xl 3.5 n/a

So I've been reading alot on towing. I saw that alot of people are saying to make sure you setup your hitch and trailer I'm really confused honestly. I will be towing car of max weight 3600 any help would also greatly be appreciated also what type of trailer since I'm in the market for one.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:10 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

When they say setup your hitch, they are talking about a weight distributing hitch. They take some tuning to get right.

When you have a trailer that puts a lot of weight on the back of the truck, it tends to cause the front end to lift up and reduces the weight on the front tires. This makes its so the truck cannot stop or turn as effectively and is dangerous. A weight distributing hitch forces some of the trailers weight back onto the front tires so that your truck will still handle well.

You may not need a weight distributing hitch for a 3600 lb trailer. What is most important is the tongue weight of the trailer. If your truck has the factory hitch on it, then there should be a sticker which tells you how much tongue weight it can take before you need a weight distributing hitch. I believe it is usually 500 lbs.

Last edited by mass-hole; 04-26-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
When they say setup your hitch, they are talking about a weight distributing hitch. They take some tuning to get right.

When you have a trailer that puts a lot of weight on the back of the truck, it tends to cause the front end to lift up and reduces the weight on the front tires. This makes its so the truck cannot stop or turn as effectively and is dangerous. A weight distributing hitch forces some of the trailers weight back onto the front tires so that your truck will still handle well.

You may not need a weight distributing hitch for a 3600 lb trailer. What is most important is the tongue weight of the trailer. If your truck has the factory hitch on it, then there should be a sticker which tells you how much tongue weight it can take before you need a weight distributing hitch. I believe it is usually 500 lbs.
Okay thank you this literally clears up everything thank you so much I just read it it says max weight distributing 11000 max tongue 1110 max weight carrying 5000 max carrying weight tongue 500
Old 04-27-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Jose - Be careful. Are you talking about towing the 3600# car on a trailer? If so, you are likely going to exceed 5000# max with the car and trailer combination. Once you exceed 5000#, you need the WD hitch.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by humblerb
Jose - Be careful. Are you talking about towing the 3600# car on a trailer? If so, you are likely going to exceed 5000# max with the car and trailer combination. Once you exceed 5000#, you need the WD hitch.
Yes I am talking about car and trailer can't say weight for trailer since I'm looking for one but it would be like a 1400 mile trip

Quick Reply: 2015 xl 3.5 n/a