Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 trailer sway control.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2015 trailer sway control.....

Was towing my camper yesterday in very high winds. My camper is a 30 ft tow behind 8000 lbs. As i was towing, the trailer would sway and could feel truck movement side to side. All of a sudden there was a jolt that threw me and my wife forward just for a second and i noticed my gas pedal lost its ability to accelerate. Then everything went back to normal and all was good. I must say it did work and stopped the sway. Has anyone else encountered this? I never felt as though i was out of control but its nice to know it does work!

Last edited by mikdor1; 06-13-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:06 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Yeah, it works, but it's much more foolproof if combined with an excellent sway-control hitch. If your trailer is swaying enough to trigger the sway control software in your pickup, you probably don't have your sway-control hitch properly adjusted. I've towed thousands of miles with mine and never had the sway-control software do anything.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

What are you using for sway control? I have a Husky WDH and normally don't have sway, but had it with a new Coleman on a really windy day, so am thinking of adding a friction bar to mine.

Thoughts on it?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Husky recommends 2 for trls over 24' ,I use 2 and 0 problems
Old 06-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Something like this? http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...urt/17200.html
Old 06-16-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes 1 on either side.passed a red f150 west of knoxville Tn yesterday and every time he hit 60 or 65 trailer was all over followed for a few miles and didnt see what type of hitch he had but didnt see bars,scary just watching him.hope he made it safley to where ever
Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I do have weight distribution bars and sway bar. The wind was horrific. I've towed over 600 miles with this truck and this was the first time my sway control on truck triggered. Its nice to have just in case.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
What are you using for sway control? I have a Husky WDH and normally don't have sway, but had it with a new Coleman on a really windy day, so am thinking of adding a friction bar to mine.

Thoughts on it?
Depending on your trunnion bars you may want to look into adding the Reese Dual Cam Adapter Kit to your current setup. I'm sure it can be had for much cheaper than listed in link below.

https://www.hitchweb.com/product/88/...gh-Performance
Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by lewisra
Depending on your trunnion bars you may want to look into adding the Reese Dual Cam Adapter Kit to your current setup. I'm sure it can be had for much cheaper than listed in link below.

https://www.hitchweb.com/product/88/...gh-Performance

I looked at those, but they only work with cam type bars. Mine are the standard round bars. I ordered a friction one from Amazon, should be at my door on Saturday. That should do for what I have. It was a really gusty day bringing it home and it was hitting me directly on the sides at times. Truck never veered, never kicked the sway control, but it was definitely felt. The only thing I don't like about the friction bar is that it has to be removed before backing.

For all I know, I didn't have the proper tension on the bars when I brought it home, I thought it looked nose high, but turned out the hitch was actually dead on level with 6 links of tension. The bars looked to be too high, but after going over the setup instructions, turns out that is exactly where they needed to be. Having the correct tension may have reduced the sway a bit. I never had sway with my other trailer that I used the WDH on, no matter what the wind was like, only time I felt anything was when a semi passed when I pulled with an explorer.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:21 PM
ncz

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Always remember a slight tug on the brake control manual lever will straighten the trailer out also. Good to know what the sway system feels like, I haven't had the chance to use it yet!

Quick Reply: 2015 trailer sway control.....