Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F150 receiver part number

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:42 AM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

Default 2015 F150 receiver part number

Howdy I was wondering if anybody has put a factory receiver on a truck that did not come with one. If so how hard was it and do you have part numbers.

I have an XL and really don't want to tow off the bumper unless the cost to add a hitch is to much. I did find the part number to add the 7 pin connector in the bumper along with instructions, so now on to the receiver.

Thanks

I did search but just about every term I used showed almost every thread anyway.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlarv
Howdy I was wondering if anybody has put a factory receiver on a truck that did not come with one. If so how hard was it ...

Not hard at all for the average shadetree mechanic. You'll probably have to drill holes in the frame, and that is a tough but doable job if you have a strong drill motor and sharp drill bits.

...and do you have part numbers.

I can't find the part numbers for the receiver that was optional on the 2015 F-150 XL. But that's not a great receiver anyway. It's rated 500 pounds tongue weight without a weight-distributing hitch, and 1,050 pounds tongue weight with a WD hitch.

Better is an aftermarket receiver made for your truck but with higher tongue weight limits. Like this DrawTite:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...leid=201533002

I have an XL and really don't want to tow off the bumper unless the cost to add a hitch is to much.

Nothing wrong with towing with the hitch that's built into the rear step bumper, but understand that the max hitch weight is 500 pounds which is a gross trailer weight around 4,000 pounds. and you cannot have a WD hitch

$250 plus some elbow grease for the parts for that receiver with 800/1,200 pounds max tongue weight is not bad.

I did find the part number to add the 7 pin connector in the bumper along with instructions, so now on to the receiver.

With the receiver and wiring harness installed, you're still not through spending money. Without the auxiliary tranny cooler that was part of the trailer towing package, you'll probably burn up the tranny before you can say "Oh, durn!" The parts for the OEM tranny cooler are shown here:
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...rd&model=F-150

But notice the heat exchanger (cooler), part number 7A095 that lists for $47.27 is not the only part you need. You must also get all the ATF lines and connections that connect the cooler to the tranny. Any Ford parts counter can help you gather all the correct parts.

And before you can tow a TT, you need a trailer brake controller. I used the inexpensive DrawTite Activator II for years with no problem. But my current F-150 has the factory integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC), which costs more but is an excellent trailer brake controller.

Last edited by smokeywren; 08-11-2015 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mlarv (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the info. This truck is a lease so I am not going to do much to it. I have a 1968 Mustang I am restoring from the ground up. The biggest thing I plan on towing is a tandem axle trailer to haul the car to the local high school where I am taken a body working class (Adult Education course). As of right now the car is pretty much stripped down to frame and rear uni-body, so no real weight. As I get it put back together the weight will go up but to only about 3600 pounds or so.

I will take a look at the parts needed to put the receiver on and go from there. If it is cheap enough I will do it if not then the bumper will work fine for what I am doing.

Thanks Again
Mike
Old 08-12-2015, 05:20 PM

Well for $220 plus tax I really don't think I will be buying a hitch. I will tow off the bumper when I need to.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...rd&model=F-150
Old 03-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread, but Im doing the same install.

Do you have a link to the instructions and part number to add the 7/4 wire connections? Also, class III and IV hitches from aftermarket sources (Reese, Connor, Hidden Hitch) are in the $150 range and offer no drill options.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by JT@2doorsdown
Resurrecting an old thread, but Im doing the same install.

Do you have a link to the instructions and part number to add the 7/4 wire connections? Also, class III and IV hitches from aftermarket sources (Reese, Connor, Hidden Hitch) are in the $150 range and offer no drill options.
Here are the part numbers for the wireing in this link. I bought an aftermarket receiver to go along with it.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/4-pin...-7-pin-309811/
JT@2doorsdown (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

JT@2doorsdown:

Okay, back to the top. Part number you need for the OEM receiver is included in this link.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...ents-rear-scat

Note the rear bumper has three main parts, left, right and center. The center part is called the reinforcement. There are three versions of the reinforcement:

1] without receiver, which was standard on your XL.

2] with heavy duty receiver, which was standard on F-150s with the regular towing pkg.

3] with max tow receiver, which was part of the optional max tow pkg.

You want the one with the heavy duty receiver: FL3Z-17D826-B

That one has a discount price of $232.55, about the same price as a decent aftermarket receiver.

If you decide on the OEM receiver, then that "bumper reinforcement" which includes the receiver is a simple unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one job. If you also order the wiring harness and plug from that link, then the whole thing is plug and play simple.
JT@2doorsdown (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smokywren- That's good info! Pointed me in the right direction and I'm going to replace my step pad as well so I don't have to dremel out the hole and I'll get the two holes for reverse sensors already drilled (adding that too). Thank you sir!

Quick Reply: 2015 F150 receiver part number