Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 model-problem with trailer connect/disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 323 Likes on 232 Posts

Default 2014 model-problem with trailer connect/disconnect

For what ever reason, my truck is now recognizing a trailer being hooked up, even though there is no trailer hooked.

Worse, it's recording mileage. I have a fake trailer name now in order to collect the miles. I don't want the miles accruing to the trailer I normally pull.

Has anyone had this problem? Anyone have any ideas how to fix it, other than take it to Ford?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

Its the detection of a load on the trailer brake circuit that causes the truck to "see" a trailer being connected. Make sure theres not something (dirt,mud etc) in the plug socket causing this false load/short. The brake feed and ground terminals are next to each other, so this is certainly possible.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll go check it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by PerryB
Its the detection of a load on the trailer brake circuit that causes the truck to "see" a trailer being connected. Make sure theres not something (dirt,mud etc) in the plug socket causing this false load/short. The brake feed and ground terminals are next to each other, so this is certainly possible.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 PM

Got back from the dealer. Still isn't fixed. The shop guy couldn't figure it out. So at the end of the process, the final thing to do is sent email to Ford in Dearborn to get an answer.

The service guy said it may be a small computer that controls that stuff. If so, they may have to replace the current computer.

I just know the truck used to default to "no trailer" as soon as I pulled out the umbilical cord. Now, it keeps a trailer "live" even though my only trailer is parked at the back of the driveway.

I'm waiting on a call from the dealer service department.

While there, the guy who was writing up the service request, let me know my truck is one of those that's being recalled because of possible leaking of brake fluid. Unfortunately, the repair parts will not be available until September of this year.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlee
While there, the guy who was writing up the service request, let me know my truck is one of those that's being recalled because of possible leaking of brake fluid. Unfortunately, the repair parts will not be available until September of this year.
So what type of rental are they giving you? That's a hek of a wait to be out of your truck but with a serious braking issue, I wouldn't want to be driving it with my family.

Good luck on get that resolved.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM

There is no rental given. I just have to drive it. I'll keep a close eye on the brake fluid level.

Originally Posted by Mike Up
So what type of rental are they giving you? That's a hek of a wait to be out of your truck but with a serious braking issue, I wouldn't want to be driving it with my family.

Good luck on get that resolved.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

With my camping trailer on a 2014. the truck recognizes that trailer, and shows "disconnected" when I remove it. With my boat trailer, I have to tell the truck from the controls that the trailer is attached by selecting the trailer from the options on the dash, and when I return home, click on "change active trailer" and scroll down to "no trailer attached." Then the truck recognizes that there is no trailer.

Quick Reply: 2014 model-problem with trailer connect/disconnect