Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Max Trailer Towing Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Max Trailer Towing Reviews

Im looking at getting a 2014 with 3.5 ecoboost 3.73 Axle, and max towing to pull my trailer that weighs just under 9000# Full. Just wondering what the users opinions are on how tow loads around that same weight. Hopefully there are a few of you that have done alot of towing in a year, so let me hear what you think about the truck and its capability.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

You ask a loaded question

1/3 will say you're fine, hitch up and go.
1/3 will say you're over on 1 or more capacity restrictions but you should be fine.
1/3 will say you're too heavy don't do it.

You should be more asking yourself what you are comfortable doing. Your truck will pull 20000# at 10mph for a few hundred yards easily....would you want to do it though???

My personal opinion has always been you want to have more truck then trailer, not the other way around. They're are people here that are pulling loads that I would not want to do but they feel comfortable doing it and if they are smart about it and safe then most say it's ok.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 PM

I dont feel like thats a loaded question at all. people either thought the truck was capabily of pulling a 9000# load or the truck isnt. Ford says it can tow 11,000 so i know its capable, but i want to know if people liked it and what theyre opinions are about the truck and its ability to tow. i want to hear peoples experiences while towing the truck. If they had a choice would they get an f150 again or would they move to an f250.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

You are all missing the key question. What is the tongue weight of the trailer and what is the load capacity of your truck. That is almost always the limitation.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:54 PM

The capacity of the truck would be 1900 according to fords website. to my knowledge i was around 12% which is 1100#. id have to recheck to be more accurate.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by acadianbob
You are all missing the key question. What is the tongue weight of the trailer and what is the load capacity of your truck. That is almost always the limitation.
There's even more to it that that.

Can it pull 9000#.....YES
Can it pull 9000# that has a hitch weight of 2000#.....NO

Can it pull 5000# with a hitch weight of 500#.....YES
Can it pull 5000# with a hitch weight of 500# and a frontal area of 100 sqft.....NO

What I'm trying to get to is there are multiple variables to towing and you need to look at all of them together, not one aspect and think you're good to go. If you are over the capacity on one then you are over the limits of your truck.

Just the ones I can think of off the top of my head (there could be more):
GVWR
GCWR
Truck payload limit
Front GAWR
Rear GAWR
Trailer towing limit
Truck hitch load limit
Tire load limit
Trailer frontal area
Trailer weight
Trailer hitch weight

If you're over on any one of these then you are over your limit.

Last edited by EventHorizon; 03-05-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by EventHorizon
There's even more to it that that.

Can it pull 9000#.....YES
Can it pull 9000# that has a hitch weight of 2000#.....NO

Can it pull 5000# with a hitch weight of 500#.....YES
Can it pull 5000# with a hitch weight of 500# and a frontal area of 100 sqft.....NO

What I'm trying to get to is there are multiple variables to towing and you need to look at all of them together, not one aspect and think you're good to go. If you are over the capacity on one then you are over the limits of your truck.

Just the ones I can think of off the top of my head (there could be more):
GVWR
GCWR
Truck payload limit
Front GAWR
Rear GAWR
Trailer towing limit
Truck hitch load limit
Tire load limit
Trailer frontal area
Trailer weight
Trailer hitch weight

If you're over on any one of these then you are over your limit.

ok thats a lot of help. ill look into all of those things. and my trailer is a standard 28ft trailer from haulmark so the front is 75 square feet. its nothing fancy. now that i got home and was looking at what im pulling the trailer would be more in the range of 7800#s. which is alot lighter than 9000. so i think thats doable for an f150. obviously ill check all the things u stated above and try to learn more.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by melisman
The capacity of the truck would be 1900 according to fords website. to my knowledge i was around 12% which is 1100#. id have to recheck to be more accurate.
It doesn't matter what Ford and their "sales brochures" say!!

What is the payload capacity of the truck you're looking at???

Is this a truck in a dealer's inventory? If so, look on the driver's side door to see two stickers - below are the stickers on my truck, and the payload is quite low because it's only standard tow with a bunch of options:

Name:  A616380F-8DC6-41F7-979E-041315EC73E9_zpscgagdhqe.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  89.6 KB

You can see on the one sticker what the GVWR (max total loaded weight of the truck) is, along with the max loads ratings for each axle.

The other sticker (the one with yellow areas and tire pressures) says "combined weight of passengers and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs". That weight is the "Payload Capacity" and will probably be your limiting factor.

Another limit is the rating of the hitch. With the Max Tow package it should be a max of 1250 lbs tongue weight - and that includes the 75 lbs or so that your WDH hitch head weighs. Lie down under the rear of the truck to see the sticker with hitch limits on it.

The payload capacity is the maximum amount of weight that you can load in/on the truck. People and stuff in the cab, cargo in the bed, the weight of your hitch head, and the tongue weight of your trailer.

With the Max Tow package you might be up in the 1800 lb payload range.

Is that 9000 lb weight the wet&loaded weight of the trailer???

If it's the dry weight, you probably are gonna be waaaay over the limits of an F150. If that's the loaded weight, and your tongue weight can be kept down to around 1100 lbs, then you'll be right up toward the limits of your hitch.

With about 1200 lbs on the hitch (tongue weight and hitch head), if you did have an 1800 lb payload capacity, then you'd have around 600 lbs remaining for people and stuff in the cab and bed.

What will be in the truck when you tow???

Do the math and you'll see you're not going to be towing the weights in the "sales brochure"!!! Butt....with the Max Tow package the F150 is a very capable truck.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 03-05-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by melisman
so the front is 75 square feet.
Just to make it more complicated you will be limited to 60 sqft as per the manual. But this is the number I find the most garbage. That's less than 8 x 8 which is about the standard for any travel trailer. Personally I ignore this number as 99% of the travel trailers everyone here is towing will exceed that.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
It doesn't matter what Ford and their "sales brochures" say!!

What is the payload capacity of the truck you're looking at???

Is this a truck in a dealer's inventory? If so, look on the driver's side door to see two stickers - below are the stickers on my truck, and the payload is quite low because it's only standard tow with a bunch of options:

You can see on the one sticker what the GVWR (max total loaded weight of the truck) is, along with the max loads ratings for each axle.

The other sticker (the one with yellow areas and tire pressures) says "combined weight of passengers and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs". That weight is the "Payload Capacity" and will probably be your limiting factor.

Another limit is the rating of the hitch. With the Max Tow package it should be a max of 1250 lbs tongue weight - and that includes the 75 lbs or so that your WDH hitch head weighs. Lie down under the rear of the truck to see the sticker with hitch limits on it.

The payload capacity is the maximum amount of weight that you can load in/on the truck. People and stuff in the cab, cargo in the bed, the weight of your hitch head, and the tongue weight of your trailer.

With the Max Tow package you might be up in the 1800 lb payload range.

Is that 9000 lb weight the wet&loaded weight of the trailer???

If it's the dry weight, you probably are gonna be waaaay over the limits of an F150. If that's the loaded weight, and your tongue weight can be kept down to around 1100 lbs, then you'll be right up toward the limits of your hitch.

With about 1200 lbs on the hitch (tongue weight and hitch head), if you did have an 1800 lb payload capacity, then you'd have around 600 lbs remaining for people and stuff in the cab and bed.

What will be in the truck when you tow???

Do the math and you'll see you're not going to be towing the weights in the "sales brochure"!!! Butt....with the Max Tow package the F150 is a very capable truck.

Thanks for the info there. the trailer is acutally around 7500 and that is loaded weight, and generally when i have the trailer im alone. I haul a racecar around and usually drive and meet the people at the track seems how i get there so early. so at mosts its 7500 pound loaded trailer, and me and one other passenger and thats it.

Quick Reply: 2014 Max Trailer Towing Reviews