Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2013 Max Tow and 30ft Camper

I posted this on RV.net but figured I would post it here as well...

Ok, my current truck is a 2013 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab Max Tow. GVWR on the truck says 7650 lbs overall. Best I could deduce from the lovely Ford Towing Guide is that overall towing capacity would be 11,200 lbs and a max tongue weight of 1,130 lbs. The truck has airbags added and E rated tires as I needed the extra payload for work.

Just impulsed bought (yeah, trust me, I know) a 2010 Hideout 30BHDS since our 1992 Jayco Eagle 265FS was starting to go quickly and we needed more room. Stats on the Hideout put it at 7,206 lbs Dry, Hitch Weight of 845 lbs and GVWR at 9,645 lbs. I assume (maybe) loaded that this means the Hitch Weight will get around the 1,100 lbs range when fully loaded. I purchased a Blue Ox SWAYPRO (BXW1500) WD Hitch to replace my old old old Reese V5.

Upgrading the F-150 is not an option, but will get replaced in 2 years or 80k for miles. Typically when I tow it is just me and firewood in the truck (wife/kids/dog drive separate a lot of times). I almost never carry water when I tow as almost every place allows you to fill up when you arrive.

Am I nuts thinking my truck will be okay with this trailer in the interim? Any thoughts are appreciated (even the ones that say I'm crazy).
badercubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Start by checking the payload capacity of your truck (located in the driver's door). Subtract your tongue weight from this number - the resulting number will be the weight of passengers and cargo you can have in the truck when towing. This is the most limiting number of your truck.
daveak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 125
Thanked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Look in your owners manual and you should find a chart for GCVR as well.
Wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
I posted this on RV.net but figured I would post it here as well...

Ok, my current truck is a 2013 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab Max Tow. GVWR on the truck says 7650 lbs overall. Best I could deduce from the lovely Ford Towing Guide is that overall towing capacity would be 11,200 lbs and a max tongue weight of 1,130 lbs. The truck has airbags added and E rated tires as I needed the extra payload for work.

Just impulsed bought (yeah, trust me, I know) a 2010 Hideout 30BHDS since our 1992 Jayco Eagle 265FS was starting to go quickly and we needed more room. Stats on the Hideout put it at 7,206 lbs Dry, Hitch Weight of 845 lbs and GVWR at 9,645 lbs. I assume (maybe) loaded that this means the Hitch Weight will get around the 1,100 lbs range when fully loaded. I purchased a Blue Ox SWAYPRO (BXW1500) WD Hitch to replace my old old old Reese V5.

Upgrading the F-150 is not an option, but will get replaced in 2 years or 80k for miles. Typically when I tow it is just me and firewood in the truck (wife/kids/dog drive separate a lot of times). I almost never carry water when I tow as almost every place allows you to fill up when you arrive.

Am I nuts thinking my truck will be okay with this trailer in the interim? Any thoughts are appreciated (even the ones that say I'm crazy).
I feel like you would be perfectly fine with that trailer. Especially with airbags and E-rated tires. I personally wouldnt concern myself if youre over Fords published numbers a little bit
king nothing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steve Osborne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: corbeil ontario canada
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 51
Thanked 103 Times in 95 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
I posted this on RV.net but figured I would post it here as well...

Ok, my current truck is a 2013 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab Max Tow. GVWR on the truck says 7650 lbs overall. Best I could deduce from the lovely Ford Towing Guide is that overall towing capacity would be 11,200 lbs and a max tongue weight of 1,130 lbs. The truck has airbags added and E rated tires as I needed the extra payload for work.

Just impulsed bought (yeah, trust me, I know) a 2010 Hideout 30BHDS since our 1992 Jayco Eagle 265FS was starting to go quickly and we needed more room. Stats on the Hideout put it at 7,206 lbs Dry, Hitch Weight of 845 lbs and GVWR at 9,645 lbs. I assume (maybe) loaded that this means the Hitch Weight will get around the 1,100 lbs range when fully loaded. I purchased a Blue Ox SWAYPRO (BXW1500) WD Hitch to replace my old old old Reese V5.

Upgrading the F-150 is not an option, but will get replaced in 2 years or 80k for miles. Typically when I tow it is just me and firewood in the truck (wife/kids/dog drive separate a lot of times). I almost never carry water when I tow as almost every place allows you to fill up when you arrive.

Am I nuts thinking my truck will be okay with this trailer in the interim? Any thoughts are appreciated (even the ones that say I'm crazy).


is the payload off your tag....mines 1680lbs..on a screw..
__________________
2013 ruby red xlt/xtr screw with eb and 3.73 eld,max trailer tow pkg,stock 18's,painted tail edges, 2" level,heated seats,custom cup holder lights, lots of plasti-dip..i need ..
Steve Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Payload on my tag is 1,834. Max tongue and towing is from the underside of the receiver. Seems like I will come close or surpass the max tongue if fully loaded, but that should be compensated for with the airbags.
badercubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
Payload on my tag is 1,834. Max tongue and towing is from the underside of the receiver. Seems like I will come close or surpass the max tongue if fully loaded, but that should be compensated for with the airbags.
Nice payload, mine is only around 1750. Wonder why yours is more than mine? Is yours a shortbed? The max tongue weight is limited by the receiver hitch, not the suspension. You could upgrade to a class 5 hitch, but I think you'll be within 100lb on that weight, which to me is certainly acceptable although some will tell you your looking at certain death if you go 5 lb over

Last edited by king nothing; 07-21-2014 at 09:55 PM.
king nothing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Canandaigua, NY
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Yeah, no clue as it seems to be the tops. Truck is pretty basic, its a shortbed 4x4 with only the non-touch SYNC, max tow and chrome package. No backup camera or sensors, no bed step and no tailgate step. It will make for a very good work truck when I pass it down to one of my foremen (heavy highway construction company and we pretty much just beat the crap out of F150s instead of 250s).

I was thinking about fabricating some storage off the *** end of the trailer frame to take some load off the tongue, would that actually work?
badercubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 826
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badercubed View Post
Yeah, no clue as it seems to be the tops. Truck is pretty basic, its a shortbed 4x4 with only the non-touch SYNC, max tow and chrome package. No backup camera or sensors, no bed step and no tailgate step. It will make for a very good work truck when I pass it down to one of my foremen (heavy highway construction company and we pretty much just beat the crap out of F150s instead of 250s).

I was thinking about fabricating some storage off the *** end of the trailer frame to take some load off the tongue, would that actually work?
Probably not. You need to have 10-15% of the weight of your trailer on the hitch, with 12.5 being considered ideal. Unless your trailer is nose heavy with more than 15% tongue weight you really don't want to shift weight to the rear. Too little tongue weight will cause handling issues
king nothing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
xcntrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 81 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

You should be fine. I have the same truck and similar trailer weighing in at 7600~7800lbs loaded. I too use bags and E-rated tires. I've hit the scales many times and am right at the GVWR limit with approximately 1100lbs tongue weight (properly distributed). You can shift loads around between the truck and trailer in order to align better with the maximum payload numbers. The downside to this approach is you won't be able to use the bed while towing the TT as you simply can't afford to carry the added weight of the cargo. Move it to the trailer instead and only carry 15% of that weight on the truck.

Here's a thread I posted on my towing numbers. You should find them very close to your setup as well:
http://www.f150forum.com/f82/my-cat-...umbers-256875/
__________________
2013 FX4 SCREW 145" WB, TUXEDO BLACK, ECOBOOST V6, MAX TOW PKG 11200#, BILSTEIN 5100 (1.75"), FIRESTONE RIDE RITE BAGS, 285/60/20 DURATRACS.
xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.