Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Gets Stuck in 3rd Gear While Towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2011 Gets Stuck in 3rd Gear While Towing

I have read topics where people claim that their transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear but have not read any doing it while towing. On four different occasions, two last year and two this year, my '11 Ecoboost gets stuck in 3rd gear while towing my 28' TT. Three of the times, it happened after it kicked down to 3rd while climbing steep hills and the fourth time it happened when I punched it to get around traffic. The only way I can fix it is by shifting into manual mode and then using the buttons to manually shift it back into 4th and fifth. This is a dangerous situation as it limits the speed of the truck to around 45 mph. Anybody else experience this?
Old 06-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_sssmokin
I have read topics where people claim that their transmission gets stuck in 3rd gear but have not read any doing it while towing. On four different occasions, two last year and two this year, my '11 Ecoboost gets stuck in 3rd gear while towing my 28' TT. Three of the times, it happened after it kicked down to 3rd while climbing steep hills and the fourth time it happened when I punched it to get around traffic. The only way I can fix it is by shifting into manual mode and then using the buttons to manually shift it back into 4th and fifth. This is a dangerous situation as it limits the speed of the truck to around 45 mph. Anybody else experience this?
45mph? that doesn't seem right.

3rd is a 1.52:1 ratio, assuming 3.73 rear end, 3rd gear with a redline of 5700 rpm should max out at around 96mph.

Now, obviously you don't want to run at redline but 60mph would only be around 3563 rpm which shouldn't be a problem.

Clearly that does not address your problem, just trying to identify whether there is an additional problem (if you are in fact unable to exceed 45 mph, there is obviously something else going on).

Are you using tow/haul mode when this happens?

I see a trip to the dealer in your future.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:11 AM

I have the 3.55 rear end and yes, this is in tow/haul mode. At about 45 mph, it just kind of loses power. ...almost like going in a safe mode.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_sssmokin
I have the 3.55 rear end and yes, this is in tow/haul mode. At about 45 mph, it just kind of loses power. ...almost like going in a safe mode.
Weird. Might want to have the dealer take a look - IIRC there was some issues with the transmission range selector that can cause all sorts of weird issues. There have also been a bunch of updates to the programming of the transmission that may also help.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:49 PM

Kind of figured it may be a transmission reprogram. Was hoping someone else had same problem so i knew i wasn't getting screwed by the dealer if i take it in. Guess I will have to pay my $100 warranty deductible and get it checked out.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2013 will hold gears longer than I think it probably should while in tow/haul mode... I wouldn't call it stuck though?

Sometimes it will shift to 4th and stay there for a long while even after returning to a steady cruise speed.

Quick Reply: 2011 Gets Stuck in 3rd Gear While Towing