Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ecoboost trailer brake harness questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2011 ecoboost trailer brake harness questions

Hello, I just purchased a 2011 f150 EcoBoost and the wiring on the brake harness has me somewhat confused. I'm not familiar with certain color codes and had a few questions about their use

The blue and red are obvious (hopefully)

The blue with red stripe, is this the brake light wire?
also, is the white wire with black stripe the ground I should use?

Later I will install the OEM controller but for now I have a hayes endeavor. I've been all over the web but can't seem to find the wiring diagram for it. I also read that there were slight differences in model years so I'm just trying to get things figured out before I tap wires or buy the wrong harness adapter.

I have the 7 and 4 on the back so I'm assuming the wires in the brake harness are set up to be of use. I have voltage just wanna make sure theirs no flashing or black magic ceremonies to perform.

thanks!
Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Check the glove box for the factory plug in. It should have the colors coming out that you will need or hopefully a diagram. Maybe the paperwork is in with the owners manual
Old 05-16-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

OK, Red should be hot at all times. Fused 30A #17
Blue goes to the trailer connector for brakes. Output from controller.
Blu/Org is hot with brake applied.
White is hot in start and run. Fused 10A #37 (Power for factory brake module?) Next to the red wire.
Black/White is ground.
The other White and White/blue next to each other are HSCAN + - (Terminals 10 and 11 on the connector.)

Yes that makes two white wires. I don'n know why.
The CAN wires are next to each other in the connector but the white wire next to the red wire is the power for start/run.

You should be able to use a meter to verify the power wires.

As said above the Ford controller kit comes with an additional relay (and fuse I think) and instructions. It is easily installed but requires programming by a dealer.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I was pretty sure about the 4 I needed. I assumed the white wires were there for the OEM controller. I wired it up and everything seems to function the way it should.

I'm assuming the stability control comes on when the trailer plug is hooked up? I noticed the light on the dash was illuminated.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm sure you should NOT use either of the CAN wires. Other than that, I do not know.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:41 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Tanguay

I'm assuming the stability control comes on when the trailer plug is hooked up? I noticed the light on the dash was illuminated.
Lights when the trailer is plugged in and stays on?
That doesn't sound right to me.
Doesn't happen with Ford's built-in controller.
I would fix that.

Quick Reply: 2011 ecoboost trailer brake harness questions