Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 king Ranch towing 7,200 pound fith wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 king Ranch towing 7,200 pound fith wheel.

Hello friends,

Have a question about towing with my 2008 f150 king ranch. It has a long bed, 373 gearing, extra leaf spring in the rear and the factory tow package with tranny cooler and wired for trailer brakes. I am looking for a trailer to live in while I work. Found a 25 ft fifth wheel with a dry weight of 7,200 pounds, my max towing capacity is 8900 pounds is this something that could be ok? I was already thinking about airbags possibly? To offset the canter of rear weight. I would not be towing the trailer everyday. It would be more of a once a month or two type towing responsibility possible 200-300 miles per tow or less. And thoughts would help.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:39 AM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

Check the towing/hauling/plowing forum
Old 03-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Hagen
...Found a 25 ft fifth wheel with a dry weight of 7,200 pounds, my max towing capacity is 8900 pounds is this something that could be ok? ....

You can forget about that 8900 lb towing capacity!!

BTW, I don't know where you got that 8900 number. In the 2008 brochure linked below there are no 3.73 rear end trucks with a max trailer tow of that weight.

http://hillerford.com/resource_libra...res/08f150.pdf

At any rate, that won't be the rating that limits you at all!!

Check the yellow tire sticker on your driver's side door and you can find the max payload capacity - it will say something like "total weight of passengers and cargo can never exceed xxxx lbs".

Another limit that you may well be exceeding would be your RGAWR - the rear allowable axle weight. It's on another sticker on your door that will have the front and rear axle weight limits, as well as the GVWR or your truck.

No extra springs or air bags will do anything to increase those limits - they're based on the hubs, wheels, axles, etc.

The payload capacity will most likely be what limits you to a trailer MUCH lighter than what you're looking at.

The trailer you're looking at would probably be around 8000 lbs by the time you get it wet&loaded for traveling.

Pin weight for a gooseneck or fifth wheel trailer should be 15% to 25% of the weight of the wet&loaded trailer. At a very minimum that would be 1200 lbs.

Your fifth wheel hitch will probably weigh 150 to 200 lbs.

Let's say the payload capacity on the sticker on your door says 1500 lbs (and that's with a completely empty truck except for a full tank of gas). If you've added any aftermarket stuff (bed liner, light bars, etc.), subtract their weights to get your adjusted payload capacity.

1500, minus the hitch weight of 150, minus the pin weight of 1200, equals 150 lbs.

So....in that case you'd have 150 lbs of payload remaining for people and cargo in the truck - if you weigh 150 lbs or less you'd be right at the limits of your truck if you carried nothing at all in the truck except you!!!

Let us know what the sticker on your truck says your payload capacity is.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 03-02-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Use an Andersen 5th wheel hitch to save up to 200 # payload. Even then you will be over weight. If you are ok with that, the extra leafs will work great. Also use E or D rated teuck tires for less sidewall flex.
The following users liked this post:
smurfs_of_war (03-03-2015)

Quick Reply: 2008 king Ranch towing 7,200 pound fith wheel.