Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 xlt towing help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15 xlt towing help

So I'm finally back in a 150 after trading my 350 powerstroke. I purchased a 15 xlt with a 5.0 brand new with a 6" lift wheels, tires ect. I got a killer deal and the dealer really knew nothing about the truck... The help I'm looking for is the truck did not come with a trailer hitch.. I'm wondering what hitch is recommended and if I can use the brake controller from ford that fits in the little side compartment. Also there is a harness adaptor for a rear view camera. Can I hook in a factory style review camera. I will be towing 5,000lbs to racing events all over so these items would be a great help!! I'm not sure if with the wheels if it would help to change the gears? Any other help much appreciated.

This is the controller Amazon.com: OEM Ford F-150 Brake Controller Module Kit w/ Relays, Instructions: Automotive Amazon.com: OEM Ford F-150 Brake Controller Module Kit w/ Relays, Instructions: Automotive
Old 12-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny rocket
The help I'm looking for is the truck did not come with a trailer hitch..

Oops! so you don't have the regular tow pkg, therefore no auxiliary (oil-to-air) tranny cooler.

First things first: install the Ford auxiliary tranny cooler that was part of the towing pkg on your truck. Else you could be in for an expensive tranny overhaul before you can say "Scat!". Your dealer's parts department can get you the correct parts.

As an option you could order this HD tranny cooler instead of the OEM cooler:
http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission...le/D52506.html

I'm wondering what hitch is recommended ...

As to the receiver, I'd install the one that was part of the regular towing pkg on your truck. Your dealer's parts department can get the correct parts for you. You'll also need the wiring harness and trailer plug that fits on the rear bumper. Your dealer can fix that too.

Am option would be a DrawTite receiver from eTrailer.com. Here's the one for your F-150:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...leid=201527641

...and if I can use the brake controller from ford that fits in the little side compartment.

Yes. Again, rely on your parts counter. And part of installing the brake controller is to "flash" the PCM (computer) to tell it you now have the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC).

I'm not sure if with the wheels if it would help to change the gears?

Wheels don't matter. What matters is tire diameter. If your tires are taller than stock by more than an inch, then you probably want to change the ring gear and pinion to a bigger number ratio. If you have 3.31 stock, then you want at least 3.73 and maybe 4.10

But first drive it with the stock ratio and see if the seat of your pants demands more go power when towing up steep grades.

Last edited by smokeywren; 12-20-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 PM

Man you are awesome!!!! Thanks a bunch. I figured the tranny cooler which is no problem. Also might add some air bags to help sag. Only towing 5000lbs and the truck feels super stron I really don't know if the gears will be worth the cost. I like that receiver!! I'll start ordering and check back soon
Old 12-21-2015, 11:03 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Also might add some air bags to help sag. Only towing 5000lbs and the truck feels super stron...

My travel trailer grosses only 4,870 when wet and loaded on the road. But I'm overloaded over the GVWR (& payload capacity) on my F-150 by 100 pounds.

You can PULL a lot heavier trailer than you can HAUL the hitch weight of that trailer without being overloaded. My F-150 can easily pull a trailer weighing over the tow rating of 8,400 pounds, but I'm overloaded with that small TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds.

Air bags will not increase your payload capacity. They just mask the symptoms of being overloaded.

So don't assume that just because you can easily pull a 5,000-pound trailer that you can haul the hitch weight of that trailer without being overloaded. Depends on what else you haul in the pickup besides a skinney driver. Weigh the wet and loaded rig on a CAT scale, and compare the weight on the two truck axles to the GVWR of the truck. Only then will you know how much weight you can haul in the truck without being overloaded.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:35 PM

My truck has the 331 gears. Has anyone changed gears on the 15?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:35 PM

And that's crazy I thought the tow rating ment what the truck will tow lol
Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

And that's crazy I thought the tow rating ment what the truck will tow lol

In theory, the tow rating tells you the MAXIMUM weight you can tow without being overloaded, provided there are no options on the tow vehicle not required to achieve that tow rating, and there is absolutely no weight in the tow vehicle but a skinny driver. And provided some idjit has not modified the tow vehicle with power-robbing accessories such as a lift and big tires.

For a '15 F-150 5.0L SuperCrew shorty, the gross combined weight rating (GCWR) is 14,300 and the tow rating is 9,000. That means that the F-150 can tow a 9,000-pound TT without being overloaded only when the wet and loaded tow vehicle weighs NOT MORE than 5,300 pounds before you tie onto the trailer. Weigh your wet and loaded F-150 and if it's a SuperCrew you'll see it weighs a lot more than 5,300.

And the second part of the formula is that you cannot exceed the GVWR of the F-150 with the trailer tied on. The GVWR (and resulting unused payload capacity) limits the hitch weight of your trailer to one with a lot less gross trailer weight than the tow rating of that F-150.

Last edited by smokeywren; 12-21-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

as smokey says....the payload is the limiter...next may look at a hd payload..
Attached Thumbnails 15 xlt towing help-12003384_669330186536469_5698982740316306553_n.jpg  

Quick Reply: 15 xlt towing help