Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10k gooseneck and 2012 max tow fx4 can I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 10k gooseneck and 2012 max tow fx4 can I do it?

Howdy, my dad has a gooseneck trailer and tractor that weighs 10k wet. I have a 2012 fx4 max tow scab ecoboost with a payload of 1783. Tires are stock size michelin at2 e rated. Can I put a ball in the back and tow it?

Pops is getting older and I need to take up responsibilities brushhoging down at the deer lease. I'm sure that he would let me use his Ram 3500...but then he is going to hop in to help out....then hop on the tractor and do the work himself. The distance is about 120 miles round trip, and I would be taking it easy. Trailer is a 24 foot deck over and the tractor is an old 36 hp Long, it weighs about 5k wet with Bush hog. The only thing in the truck besides me would be a cooler for water and a chainsaw.

I know that I could pickup a 20 foot 3k lb bumper pull trailer and wd hitch for about 4k and be in a better position but it not in the finances right now.

Last edited by bisley45; 07-23-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:55 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by bisley45
Howdy, my dad has a gooseneck trailer and tractor that weighs 10k wet. I have a 2012 fx4 max tow scab ecoboost with a payload of 1783. Tires are stock size michelin at2 e rated. Can I put a ball in the back and tow it?

Pops is getting older and I need to take up responsibilities brushhoging down at the deer lease. I'm sure that he would let me use his Ram 3500...but then he is going to hop in to help out....then hop on the tractor and do the work himself. The distance is about 120 miles round trip, and I would be taking it easy. Trailer is a 24 foot deck over and the tractor is an old 36 hp Long, it weighs about 5k wet with Bush hog. The only thing in the truck besides me would be a cooler for water and a chainsaw.

I know that I could pickup a 20 foot 3k lb bumper pull trailer and wd hitch for about 4k and be in a better position but it not in the finances right now.
Not sure what your pin weight is, probably going to depend on how you load the tractor. I tow a 9k GN horse trailer almost every week with my 13 STX 4x4 5.0.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Sure. You can pull it with no problem, but you'll probably exceed the payload capacity of your F-150.

Add a Reese fifth-wheel above-bed custom install kit (not the hitch, just the bed rails). Add a Reese "The Goose" hitch plugged into those bed rails. Hitch is complete and rated for a lot more than 10k pounds trailer.

Here's the "custom" install kit. Bolts onto the frame of the pickup without drilling in the frame of the pickup. The less expensive "universal" install kit will work, but it's a bugger-dog-bear to install because you must drill holes in the frame of the pickup.

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...eid=2012642674

And here's "The Goose" hitch.

https://jet.com/product/pdp/c8c86d8f...oMVQ&gclsrc=ds

Or for a bit more money you can install a B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck/B...WGNRK1111.html

DIY install of the TurnOverBall hitch is more difficult than installing the bed rails of the Reese hitch, but it's doable for a good handyman.

Now about being overloaded. Your EcoBoost drivetrain has way more power and torque than required to pull a 10,000-pound trailer over hill and dale. (I've pulled a 20,000-pound gooseneck thru the Hill Country of central Texas with mine, with no problem other than being severely overloaded over the payload capacity of my F-150).

So you want to minimize the weight you haul in the pickup when towing that load. Unload all the tools, jacks, people, pets, coolers, anything that weighs more than a handkerchief. You'll probably still be overloaded, so don't try towing at night with your headlights aiming at the stars, blinding oncoming traffic. Keep the speed down to not more than 60 MPH. Be certain you have the rear tires aired up to the max PSI on the sidewall, in your case 80 PSI. And air the front tires up to 65 PSI. You have the best trailer brake controller available as part of your Max Tow package, so be sure it's adjusted and works as designed.

Normal hitch weight of a gooseneck trailer is 20% to 25% of wet and loaded gross trailer weight, or 2,000 to 2,500 pounds for a 10,000-pound trailer. But you can safely tow with a bit less hitch weight, down to around 15% of wet and loaded gross trailer weight, or 1,500 pounds for your trailer. DO NOT try for less than 15% hitch weight, because that makes for an unstable rig. I would put the bull tires of the tractor directly over the trailer axles, with the tractor facing forward.

Then good luck on your trip.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM

That was a well organized post full of useful information. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

That was a well organized post full of useful information. Thank you.
Yep he usually does. I personally really like my drawtite hide a goose hitch on my 2013. I paid about 350 plus 100 to a local trailer dealer to do the install. I still have full use of my bed when the ball is turned over. The hitch is rated for 7500lb pin weight and 30k trailer weight, both far more than my truck.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

As far as the hitch itself, I'd recommend either the Hide-a-goose or the B&W, toss a coin. They both have all the structure under the bed and no rails above the surface. The only thing you have to install is just the ball, no big adapter plate involved.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 PM

Well, this is reassuring. I fully expected an onslaught of folks saying I'm an idiot. I know I'm on the boundaries, but I fully intend to take it slow. Thanks all for your information.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Why spend the money and time to rig up your truck when your dad has a capable truck? If he still wants to come along, father-son time is priceless. I wish my dad was still around to do things together.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 AM

Valid point. Pops had his first heart attack two years ago. I know him quite well, if we do it together, he'll do it himself. I know I won't take away all the hard work, but if I could knock out half for the ole grouch, it would help.
He is 67 this year.

Last edited by bisley45; 07-25-2016 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I pull a 20' 10k lowboy gooseneck with my 2011 F150 and then now my 2014 F150 with a B&W gooseneck. Also pull a 20' gooseneck stock trailer. You will be fine if you use your head.

Quick Reply: 10k gooseneck and 2012 max tow fx4 can I do it?