Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TheKings build

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I am the God of hellfire

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default TheKings build

Starting my build thread. Suggestions and opinions are encouraged.

Heres my truck when I bought it 3 years ago with 100,003 miles on it. 2001 ScrewXLT 5.4

I got the truck out the door for 10,500$ after a lengthy duo with salesman. When buying the truck I had zero intentions of engine mods, exterior mods, ect. I wanted to trade the truck in for a new 5.0 but the lady wants to start looking at houses so that put an end to that idea. My 01 will suffice, its in awesome shape and its almost paid off so this is my rig for a while.

First thing I did to it was install a Spectre CAI I picked up for 100 bucks. I was always skeptical of CAIs but figured 100 bucks isn't going to kill me. Installed it a couple months ago. Really hard to say if power was increased, but one thing I did like is the new throaty sound it gave my truck.

Next thing was freshening up the exterior and new tires. The Michelin LTXs were worn out, very bald and both rear tires had slow leaks that annoyed me. Wanted to go bigger than stock but it wasn't in the budget. Went with Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70r17.

Last night I finally installed my lightning heads/corners, depo fogs, and tan king ranch bumper valance. I also removed the bug deflector to give it a cleaner look. This is how she sits today.

Oh, forgot to meinton ...while changing out the bumper I valance I found this plug in. Never knew these trucks had block heaters, good to know considering the cold winters in MN

So there she is. Not sure how far I want to go with her. Ive got a 75mm BBK throttle body that I need to install and also have a SCT programmer Ill be doing custom tunes with down the road. I just started ordering header/exhaust parts. Going with OBX Longtubes and a SISO 3 inch exhaust with Borla XR1 muffler. Not sure what else I want to do...

Like I said up top, suggestions are more than welcome, Im still kinda new to all this as my last vehicle was a 86 Econoline.

BTW, the trucks name is Christine.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:23 PM
I am the God of hellfire

Once I get the headers, exhaust, and custom tunes installed Im really in need of wheels. The stock wheels ill keep for the winter time but these stock wheels arent very attractive and IMO dont go good with the terra grapplers.

Consiering....
17x9 M/T class IIs
17x8.5 Level * Trackers
17x9 Ion Alloy 171s
All those rims have the same look and the Ions come in at the cheapest around 550 bucks for a set. Love the Mickey Thompson and I know they are more popular, but are they worth the extra 100-150 dollars, or a I just paying for the name?

Also wondering everyones thoughts on the topper? Yay or nay? It does come in handy at times, but ive had it off before and have to admit it looks WAY better without a topper.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing1985
Oh, forgot to meinton ...while changing out the bumper I valance I found this plug in. Never knew these trucks had block heaters, good to know considering the cold winters in MN
The first cold day we had here I went outside and tried looking for the plug for my block heater; I got underneath and I could see the spot where it was coming out of the block but I couldn't see enough to trace it to the actual plug. 15 frustrating minutes later I bumped the valance on accident and the plug slid out from behind the license plate
Sure glad I have it on cold nights like tonight though
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
SJP

Received 94 Likes on 90 Posts

Damn the lightning heads/depo fogs look really good. I need to go ahead and stop messing around and get me some. Did you get yours off Ebay?

I've never been a fan of those toppers so if it were my truck it would have to go but if it serves a purpose then keep it.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

Looks good! I need that king ranch valance for mine, but I want to change all the plastic on mine to tan. And that topper needs to go, it totally ruins the look of the truck.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I am the God of hellfire

Originally Posted by SJP
Damn the lightning heads/depo fogs look really good. I need to go ahead and stop messing around and get me some. Did you get yours off Ebay?

I've never been a fan of those toppers so if it were my truck it would have to go but if it serves a purpose then keep it.
Yeah I bought the heads and corners from headlightsdepot off of ebay, just over 80 bucks if I remember. The fogs were about 90 bucks. I was shocked at how easy they were to install.

The topper might be going pretty soon. The only thing I really liked it for was camping, I blow up a twin matress and cram it back there to sleep, but the bed is still too short for that. I can always put it back on for camping too, not a huge deal. Ive been looking at truxedo covers, expensive they are.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
I am the God of hellfire

Originally Posted by smcox1
Looks good! I need that king ranch valance for mine, but I want to change all the plastic on mine to tan. And that topper needs to go, it totally ruins the look of the truck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350652569885...84.m1423.l2649

Matches my truck pretty good. If you really look hard you can see the shade difference between the valance and the gold trim, but its not noticeable enough for me to care.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM
I am the God of hellfire

Have pretty much decided on these wheels.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I am the God of hellfire

Originally Posted by 95FordMN
The first cold day we had here I went outside and tried looking for the plug for my block heater; I got underneath and I could see the spot where it was coming out of the block but I couldn't see enough to trace it to the actual plug. 15 frustrating minutes later I bumped the valance on accident and the plug slid out from behind the license plate
Sure glad I have it on cold nights like tonight though
Thats the same spot mine was hiding. Dosnt look like its been used in a while, I wonder if the guy before me knew it was there.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

This is my opinion but those are too old school looking for your truck.

Quick Reply: TheKings build