Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swains Budget Build..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swains Budget Build..

Whats up, Im going to be doing things to the truck. Since I did the same with the Explorer I figured Id do the same on here. Do a build thread, with each thing I do, Ill do a semi How To as I do them.

This is a budget build, so nothing serious fastly will be done, Im a father of 4 + 1 on the way, husband and a worker.. So yeah budget build, but Ill revive her soul to better then new.

First off I bought it as third owner. Im not a very trusting person, so I do not believe what he told me when I bought it... So time for maintenance.

Here is what she looks like as of today.

Soon I will start the work on it.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 PM

First thing on the list, is Timing and Phaser Overhaul. While I will not be doing this myself this one will not get a Semi How To. I have a friend who is doing all the work for me on this particular project.

I have about 6xx.xx In timing components sitting next to me on the floor for install.

I can tell you, that I found this guide very helpful. The Final Repair.....Tick....
here is the one I started for my self to get some quick very helpful info. Mine.

While we are doing the timing Im going to clean down the Valve covers, timing cover, we are dropping the oil pan, cleaning it as well. So inside and out will be cleaned..
Replacing: Oil Pan Gasket 20, (2) Pashers w/ bolts 218, Valve Cover Gaskets 51, (2) VCT w/ seals 108, Timing Cover Gasket 43, Complete Timing Chain System w/ oil/water pumps 195, Crank Oil Seal 10, trigger Wheel 15. total 660 and priceless piece of mind and correct system.

Also While at the end of the engine, Im going to be doing Plugs and COPs, at 180k Im sure it needs done....

COPs: Accel Super Coils #140033-8 (the -8 just means full box) these were 210 for a full set new to my door.
Plugs: Champion Double Plat. 7989. For this I paid 66. 276 for a new spark and piece of mind that sparking like new.

Should be done this weekend or next, while doing Timing Components.

Some of the things you dont see in any of those pics, would be the new oil, antifreeze, oil filter, cleaning supplies and rtvs. These are just as necessary for the jobs as the parts. So hoping this weekend or next, she will be running like a champ!

Last edited by SwaintaN; 03-05-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Yay! He has it since this AM, so I get it back soon and should be running like new, all but the exhaust leak.

These are the only sound clips I have before it left. I wish I could have gotten a AM start up.. thats when you heard the timing smack and phasers the most.

Last edited by SwaintaN; 03-11-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Welp while its at his shop having Phaser/Timing/Tune Up and cleaning, Im getting ready for it to come home, some other things came in the mail..

I got these right after I bought it, eBay special! 30.00!!!
Right and Left Q logic kick panels.. they came in black... with my self having tan interior.. i changed it up..

even have back padding...

This was the closest i could find to my tan, was Egyptian sand..

as soon as it gets back ill install these and new HU.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:41 PM

So 400 later in labor i have new timing system complete w/ lots of extras. New plugs, accel CoPs, oil pump, water pump, oil pan seal and lots of extra stuff...

got it home and put in the cd player and kick panel speakers w/ reverse cam.

post pics soon.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 PM

Ok that was a turn for the odd/bad.. Ok so he let me know that all the plugs werent done.. But the new coils were on. So after research on here and a bunch of youtube videos.. We are going after the rest of the plugs...

So 4 of them are done, 5th is broken... so since it broke.. figured we'd wait to do the others till the tool got here to remove them.. its not ordered, soon new plugs to go with everything else that was done..

SINCE TRUCK IS BACK TO OUT OF COMMISSION..

that gives me time to do other things, Im currently in progress of doing big 3/4 w/ all 0ga wiring.

going to see if my FM Delta 40 that I had on Explorer will git the f150.

This way once the plugs are done can just fire it back up.

Heres the kick panels installed

I found this How To Big 3 to be VERY helpful
Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it's coming together, I really like that maroon color. Looking forward to more!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:22 AM

Thanks!

So Im really glad I know a little about cars, not a lot but a little. I knew what a timing slap sounded like etc. So when he got done with the timing system.
IM VERY GLAD I READ A BUNCH OF INFO ON HERE!!

So there were parts that did not come with any "kit" that I ordered, certain seals, parts etc. Here are a few pics.

Water pump, phasers, relucator ring and double tooth bottom ring.

Close up, missing teeth!! yikes!

Along with broken guides and a tension piston.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:53 PM

so the lisle tool is finally here it pulled out the plug that was broke so yay! however the last three i cant do, they are to close to firewall, have a friend coming to look at them.

while waiting ive done most of my big 3 upgrade, making sure to continue to replace with loom so at glance the wiring is stock.

0ga to alternator, 0ga to to firewall, 0 gauge to starter and to spring mount. i removed stock as I was doing it.. looking good and running better even with just 5 of 8 plugs done.

get some pics soon.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:43 AM

ok here are the big 3 upgrades... im hoping my loom will get here soon so I can wrap em, make look a lil bit more stockish...

Used 0ga for everything...

Green paint line would be the grounds blue would be the power.

Ive done this to all our cars, just better response in electrical system. ill upgrade the alternator to HO hopefully after summer, that will take more advantage of the bigger wiring... only thing I don like is how you can tell the wiring isnt even close to stock lol.. hopefully loom will help that..

there are a couple walk through on here how to do it. however IMO remove the stock, take time to do it all the way.. With that said.. there is a fuseable 18ga wire coming from Alternator plug. just wrap it around your wiring that is going to plug into your ANL.

Cut that wire after its fuseable mark.. youll be double protected.

edit: add: ALSO FYI... I was running 12.2 everything off not running... With car running and everything running I ran 13.3 volts. NOW 12.5 and 14.8. Again this is stock alternator.

Last edited by SwaintaN; 03-28-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: Swains Budget Build..