Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

restoring's 2013 STX 4x4 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smile restoring's 2013 STX 4x4 build

This is going to be a slow motion build- lol

We just bought the truck new on 09-30-2013 and I'm changing jobs so can't spare the $ for sweet mods quite yet... but they're coming
Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 AM

Default Fresh from the dealer

Here are a few photos taken after I was able to detail the truck for the first time.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Default Wheel issues

These are the wheels that came on the truck. They are 18 inches in diameter and that really limits my tire options. According to a good friend and fellow Jeeper that runs a tire store, the 2013 F-150 STX 4x4 was also available with 17 inch wheels. 17 inch wheels really opens up tire options and reduces the price dramatically!

I checked with Ford, the dealer, and several forums but have not been able to find out what the backspacing on these stock 18 inch wheels is, nor have I been able to find out how large/wide of a tire I can stick on them before I have rubbing/clearance issues.

1. Does anyone know what the backspacing on these are?

2. Can I get some advice on tire sizes that I can mount without encountering rubbing/clearance issues?

I run BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2's on my Jeep, but KM2's for an 18 inch wheel are $449 each
Thinking of trying to find the 17 inch wheels from Ford (if they're alloy) and seeing if I can get a set cheap or someone wants to swap their 17's for 18's.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Default Tsb 13-4-15

Back to the dealer this morning so they can perform the TSB 13-4-15 stuff. This thing was painfully slow shifting, and Sunday it took 11 seconds by my watch for it to shift from drive to reverse while sitting still facing downhill on a moderate grade. That was ridiculous.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, I am now hoping I don't have this TSB issue? I looked it up and don't seem to.

Was your STX literally just taking forever to shift when cold?

And FYI, other than Oxford White, which I bought, Racing Red was a very close second. She looks great.
The following users liked this post:
restoring (10-24-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice truck!
Hope they sort out the issue.
I too have the same rims as you, its too bad they are 18's. I really do like the look of the rim, but would rather have 17's.
restoring (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by O.C.D.
Wow, I am now hoping I don't have this TSB issue? I looked it up and don't seem to.

Was your STX literally just taking forever to shift when cold?

And FYI, other than Oxford White, which I bought, Racing Red was a very close second. She looks great.
Cold or hot it lagged in shifting. The worst one that I timed was 11 seconds. I had come to a complete stop, shifted from drive to reverse, and 11 seconds later it shifted.

Took it out on the interstate today to run errands after the TSB work was done. It's better about getting into drive from park, and better at switching between drive and reverse, but still lags a good bit.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by mjmck
Nice truck!
Hope they sort out the issue.
I too have the same rims as you, its too bad they are 18's. I really do like the look of the rim, but would rather have 17's.
A friend of mine runs a tire store and showed me that some 2013 STX 4x4's were equipped with 17" wheels instead of 18. When I asked about it at the dealer, I was met with the old "Deer in the headlights" stare and told they didn't know anything about it.

I asked if I could buy some 17" rims from them and was told "I think so, you probably could". I'm trying to find out what my options are for switching down to 17's because the tire options really open up for that size (and the prices are lower).

So far, I'm not really impressed with my dealer. The service guy there broke 5 promises so far, and the truck has been back twice in the 24 days we've owned it.

Almost every question I ask is answered with an "I don't know". If I press them for a way to get an answer, I get another "I don't know" most of the time.

At least they did find out what my towing capacity should be, but the story behind that is sad. I went to pick up the truck after the TSB work and asked (again) how do I find a definitive answer on what the towing capacity is? I was told I could probably find it on google. I think the expression on my face coupled with the intake of breath indicated to him that was not a correct answer. Really??? You're the service guy and you can't tell a customer what the towing capacity of a truck you're trained to work on is????

When I started to ask how that would hold up in arbitration if something happened, he jumped on his computer and...

wait for it....

googled the towing capacity for a 2013 Standard Cab 2 wheel drive truck.

He did this while facing my Extended Cab 4x4 that was literally 4 feet away from him. I had to remind him that the truck he had just fixed and driven up to me in was not a Standard Cab 2 wheel drive.

Then he jumped on some tech site and told me 9,500lbs. God, I hope that's correct. The first answer I got from my salesman was "about 7,500lbs." and now it's 9,500.

With the truck having gone back twice in 24 days, and the way the service department acts, I'm starting to get that bad, worrisome feeling that I've made a mistake.

Last edited by restoring; 10-24-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 AM

So far...

Here's our fun one-

Last edited by restoring; 10-24-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice XJ. I sold my TJ last fall and I miss her at times. Not cause she was comfortable, got great mileage, was safe and all around awesome though. Thing was a beast offroad. But those days are passed.

As for your dealer woes I say take it with a grain of salt. The majority of idiots that work at dealers are no smarter than the average Joe. Most of them don't even care to know what "car people" know. We are a different breed that can walk into a dealership and know what the coolant capacity of a vehicle we don't even own is.

I get beyond frustrated as well but I have always relied on myself for answers. They don't care to have time for smart people. They want the sheep to pass through the gates and just buy trucks. They hate the people like you and I because we give a crap.

I am ranting on but in the end just consider the source. You bought a great truck and even though a couple hickups are happening you should not be worried.
restoring (10-24-2013)

Quick Reply: restoring's 2013 STX 4x4 build