Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Old School Work Truck" F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Project "Old School Work Truck" F150

As with all car crazy people, I just can't leave well enough alone with ANY vehicle. About two months ago I traded my work ranger for a 2010 F150. Its just a plain jane base model. Great for work/semi dd/tow rig whatever. But as with everything I quickly got the itch to do something to it, but what could you really do to a base model that's practical and still makes since for a work truck? I mean its not like I can go crazy with the engine or put a blower on it or anything. So while I'm tossing this around in my head my buddy has been trying to get me to letter up my main delivery vehicle like a Nascar truck(he does vinyl signs for a living). I wasn't completely sold on the idea, but I did want to give him a chance to do something for me. I've really been wanting to build/buy an old truck to use/sit out front of my parts store and paint it up patina, but just haven't found the right one or had the extra money. So with all these idea's flying around it finally hit me, make your new truck, look old!

So here is the plan and the truck that really inspired the look. Now granted I'm not going to this extreme and all my graphics will be vinyl because when/if I trade the truck I want to be able to put it back to stock without any work.

Here is what my plans are, I'm getting a door graphic made that looks old schoolish, I couldn't ever really nail down a design I'm in love with, but we've got one we are going with. Once I get it on I may lightly sand it to give it an older look.

The spacing will be different on the truck, this is just a screen shot of it before it prints.

Then I'm going to build me wooded bed racks for each side and stain them. I may have something hand painted on them or a pin stripe done on them a little later.

If I don't have lettering put on them I'm going to have something done like the three words you see above.

I guess before I explain much more I should post a picture of my truck as it is now.

I'd like to put a set of torque thrusts on it but this is a low budget deal. So I'm going to plastidip the outside of the wheel black, and then plastidip the inside of the wheel, or the cap itsself white. I then MAY cut the "Ford" back out and make ti black but I haven't decided yet. Hopefully giving it that old hubcap look. Something like this.

I'm also taking the reverse light bulbs out and replacing them with blue bulbs to give the taillights the look of "blue dot" tail lights.

I'm also going to play with the exhaust some and an an chrome tip to it, just haven't narrowed all that down yet. And I'm hoping to put some light tint on it to.

I want to build something that if I wanna run to a show but haul parts back I've still got something cool to drive, a cool tow rig, and some cheap advertising for my business.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM

I think for the wood I'm gonna buy a bunch of vintage decals of brands I actually carry and stick them on, then stain over them so they stay put and look patina'd.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

I think that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Are you sure you want to emulate that?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 AM
Certified Bad Ass

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
I think that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Are you sure you want to emulate that?
Thats the best looking tundra I've ever seen haha. I think it's a good idea I just hate tundras so I hate that thing. I thing a ford version will be much cooler
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
I mean mines not going to be exactly like that, I think mine will be a lot more simple and tasteful.

Originally Posted by Truck Norris
Thats the best looking tundra I've ever seen haha. I think it's a good idea I just hate tundras so I hate that thing. I thing a ford version will be much cooler
Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Starting on the wheels today.
This is my first venture into Plasti-dipping anything so I was a little nervous but its not too bad.
Starting with the caps.

Going white.

1st coat. Had a few runs and it didn't cover too good, but you can layer this stuff thick so I'm not too worried.

2nd coat.

Blocking off the wheels, I'll just peel it off the tires later, there was no way to tape or block it off and still color the outside lip of the wheel completely.

1st coat.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
DSBP F-150

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

This build is going to be awesome. Cant wait till more progress is made on it. All progress so far looks extremely awesome.
The following users liked this post:
cobra_4 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by David F-150
This build is going to be awesome. Cant wait till more progress is made on it. All progress so far looks extremely awesome.
Thanks!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM

Final coat of white.

Black still wet and drying.

Black pretty much try. Takes four hours to set up then I'll untape and put the caps back on. I'm thinking they should turn out better than I expected!!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Got the hubcaps finished up. I went back and fourth on doing the black but I'm glad I did. It's not perfect up close, but from 5 feet away I think it looks pretty dang good.

Quick Reply: Project "Old School Work Truck" F150