Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Folding Tow Mirrors for 2013 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Power Folding Tow Mirrors for 2013 F-150

Finally! Now all I need is to determine if I can retro-fit my 2011 F-150 XLT with these 2013 Power Folding Towing Mirrors. Maybe someone will come out with a mod kit for what I want to do.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested in this as well!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by n1chu
Finally! Now all I need is to determine if I can retro-fit my 2011 F-150 XLT with these 2013 Power Folding Towing Mirrors. Maybe someone will come out with a mod kit for what I want to do.
I also have the identical request. I researched swapping out the power fold tow mirrors that were available on the F-250/350 in 2011 but the bolt pattern was different, one had 2 bolts, the other 3. Now that the F-150 has the option available, I only hope the bolt pattern is the same. But with my luck they changed the doors to allow the F-250/350 mirrors to fit, thereby eliminating the swap out. It makes sense that Ford would eliminate the 2011 F-150 mounting and adopt the F-250/350 mount for all F series trucks. Standardizing the way a mirror mounts would allow them to streamline their parts stock-a one size fits all concept. Commonality rules, much to my dismay. What really bothers me is that Ford should have known up front that the F-150 was a truck that was more likely to be parked in a residential garage, and one with a tow package would need to have folding tow mirrors in order to make it fit. So why offer electricly folding only on the F-250/350's in 2011 when those vehicles were most likely either garaged in commercial buildings with wider garage doors or parked outside? Marketing strategy? I guess i'll just wait for the 2015's with the weight reduction aluminum body (and possibly frame) and get my folding mirrors at the same time!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Oh brother, I'm responding to my own post. Senior moment...
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Default Powered Folding Tow mirrors 2011 F-150

At the risk of sounding redundant, I am going to restate my intent here and then list what I have learned towards a successful ending...

I wanted powered folding tow mirrors for my new 2011 F-150. But there was not an option available in 2011. The F-250 and F-350 did have an option for the powered folding Tow mirrors but they would not physically fit on an F-150.

Then I learned the 2013 model F-150 has, as a new option, a powered folding tow mirror. But in order to determine if this option could be used on my 2011 I had to determine physical fit and wiring concerns were compatible.

On the first concern, that of physical fit... I was informed by a knowledgable parts counter person at my local Ford dealership the 2013 mirror has a bolt pattern that is the same as my 2011 F-150. It has 3 bolts or studs. It should be noted here there has been no actual comparison of this, only what has been gleaned from their reference sites. But an email to Ford asking for verification on this point should be all that is needed.

The second concern is the electrical wiring needs. I have no idea at this time just how this works. I am sure my 2011 is not set up with the proper plug and support switching, nor am I understanding of if 2013 mirror housing any electronics in addition to the servo motors needed to move the mirror parts.

So it looks like I am half way there. It does seem like a doable thing if you want to take a chance on the electrical aspects of project. Connecting a 12 volt servo motor to power should not be a problem unless there are other constraints such as interfacing with computers.

The cost of the new mirrors from the Ford Parts Counter is $620 for one side and $640 for the other. I have no idea why one is more than the other. When I surmised the reason may be that one of the mirrors might contain control circuitry, the counter guy said he has seen Ford do some weird things when pricing parts. So it could mean something or nothing at all.

I intend to inquire of the local junk yards about the new mirrors. Maybe they can tag this item and when the occasion arises, I can get a look at the new mirrors mountings and electrical hookups. That is unless someone out there has the ability to access the schematics of these new mirrors and would offer to share the findings with me.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any news or update on 2013 power fold tow mirrors? Any part # yet ? I have a 2012 f150 would like to do this also
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Lol, n1chu you cracked me up! I hope you figure this out, I'm super interested.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Found On Road Dominating

Received 187 Likes on 152 Posts

Im going to my dealer on the 10 Dec to get this ECOBOOST issue fixed...I guess my parts R in. When im there Ill talk to the parts mgr as he is the All knowing All seeing WRT mirrors as he converted his truck to towing. Aswell, my son works at a collision center and he will try to get some info WRT wiring diagrams!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:45 AM

I again checked with the Ford parts counter... This time they tell me the new 2013 power fold tow mirrors go for $900 on one side and $600 for the other! Jeese, they can't even quote me a price! Perhaps it's time to give up the idea. The truck fits with one mirror folded in so I just pull in the drivers side mirror and pull into my garage. Maybe 2015 will be the year of the lighter weight F-150 with folding toe mirrors offered as an option. That and load leveling air shocks would set me up fine. (They should make load levelers a standard on the 150's. every time I load my Ultra Classic HD people start flashing their high beams at me. I even get it with just the Rampage motorcycle lift,250 lbs., in the bed. By the way, I'm selling the lift if anyone is interested-I live in Ct.)

Bill
Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

This is exactly my desire for my 2010 King Ranch. I have a 24 foot bay boat on a dual axle trailer that I pull on occasion and having the larger mirrors would be awesome.

Is there any aftermarket answer for this? In that Ford did the new ones with these style mirrors tells me that there was indeed a large demand for better mirrors.

Quick Reply: Power Folding Tow Mirrors for 2013 F-150