Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newfie FX4 build - Pic Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up Newfie FX4 build - Pic Heavy

Well, probably should've started this LONG ago as the truck now has 70k kms on it and I have owned it since new. I will try to put it in chronological order as best I can but I think a lot of pictures will be gone as I cleaned out my phone several times since I bought the truck (I like to take pictures )

Anywho, the day I brought my first truck to the dealer on a convenience trade for the new one! 2014 5.0 FX4 with 402a package, 157" WB 3.55 gearing with e/lock. Max tow and tow mirrors.. Probably something else I am forgetting.

I tend to use my trucks as trucks a lot, not something you see in a lot of trucks these days

Night time view of my hometown ~25,000 people, mountainous coastline

My truck alongside my fathers King Ranch 6.7L crew cab, 8 foot box. Honestly if I had my time back I would have got a lower model of the same truck, I have been around these large diesels all my life and drove them since the day I got my license with work. You really get used to having the bed space and capabilities of a diesel. In a couple years I think there will be a 3/4 ton mod but until then, the 5.0 will get lots of love and use

Not long after I acquired my truck I drove it out and got my first dirt bike to boot

I put a bedside toolbox in and a bakflip, this is one of those hidden gems with a priceless view of the sun setting most summer evenings #browniepoints

Another view of that bed setup when I picked up my home gym equipment

Last edited by Newfie FX4; 04-30-2016 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:06 PM

My truck with my last sled in the back, after I plasti-dipped the stock wheels. Pre-season service was happening, the local ski-resort in the background

Fast forward to snow, this is my Labrador who is a year older than the truck. Couldn't ask for a better buddy, especially since he loves to tag along on everything I do outdoors or watch me work in the shop!

The day after I got my 20" Worx Beast wheels mounted with 275/65/R20 All Terrain K/O2's, no level or lift and no rub! I can't find pictures of the install but I have a 20" Single row in the bottom bumper gap, and a 30" placed between the grill bars behind the grill but it has trimmed fins to clear the hood latch. Both work well!

Got the exterior done by a buddy who does really good work, didn't last long as I had to run over a bunch of gravel roads unexpectedly but it show how nice the RR can be

That same bike but wrapped since. I also just remembered I took off the eco-fuel badge and put on a 5.0 badge from the internet, vinyl emblem layovers from moodyblue and plasti-dipped the chrome.

Last edited by Newfie FX4; 04-30-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 PM

The first time our 4 seater got towed somewhere (endless trail system located right by home)

The billet grill I put in place of the stock one since I couldn't swing the raptoid at the time and I did want to do something different. Was pretty cheap and once I cut out the stock grill I found out why.. Didn't fit right, supplied hardware was junk and it actually scratched some paint trying to get it in. Got really frustrated at that point, trimmed some of the bars with cutters and got it to be as flush as I could with self tappers. Rough up close but looks good from afar, all the more reason a raptoid will likely be coming later this year.

Winter mode for the truck, the stockers with studded duratracs wrapped around them. The places those tires have got me with enclosed trailers in tow and very, very bad winter roads I will never use another winter tire!!

In the driveway after a small snowfall

The new and current sled bought this past fall! Love this machine despite the fact we had a very bad winter for it, worst snowfall amount in years.

Usually I tow an enclosed, don't like the sled being out in the open for the salty roads. The truck pulls a fully loaded 26ft v-nose surprisingly well for 3.55. Although I forgot to mention earlier it has a Solo Mach X exhaust installed in which I had to get the resonator for after the fact and install, because as nice as it sounded it was just too much for a daily driver that tows. Even for this motosport enthusiast.

Last edited by Newfie FX4; 04-30-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:28 PM

Parked my truck next to a buddy's Dodge the day he got his 6" lift installed with 37" tires.. makes me want lift..

A couple of days ago we started project lund SX flares with Ford's HD mud flaps. Turned out great, I think a little more offset would make it look better but at the same time defeating the purpose of the flares so I guess I will wait and see which I would rather.

Factory flares off, which left damage in the clear coat.

Put some hard grease in the holes to prevent rust, the white line you see is the damage from factory flares.. not too bad but if it was left alone for a long time I could see it being worse.

One on, we later decided to take them all off and put a clear vinyl strip along where the rubber will run. This was due to a buddy of mine showing me pictures of his truck with paint chipping because sand got underneath the rubber, and with the vibration it acted like a sander and chewed through the paint in less than a year. He wasn't alone in saying the rubber seal from flares damaged paint, so we just went ahead and got it done before anything could happen. Some dirt could get under the vinyl yes, but it is relatively easy to put on and very easy to get off so that doesn't worry me.

While installing the flares I got my buddy to grab a snap of my reverse setup. I tried using LED bulbs in the factory tailights but it was still horrible, so I then bought two 3 led square pods from a heavy truck parts supplier for fairly cheap and wired them into the reverse lights. The setup works quite well, I didn't go beneath the tail as during the winter they will get covered in road grime and I would have to get full of it trying to wipe them off. On top you do not have to worry about that.

Last edited by Newfie FX4; 05-02-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Sub'd, nice truck!

Quick Reply: Newfie FX4 build - Pic Heavy