Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!

Hello everyone,

Picked up a new 2016 Lariat/Screw/5.5 box/Special Edition/FX4 the other day. I'm a farmer and this will be the 5th consecutive F150 for me. Going on a little over 20 years driving these things! I usually put around 150,000 miles on them before I give in and get another one. Needless to say, I'm a fan. The funny part is I've never one time in all those trucks modified them. They were always just work trucks. I have personal vehicles that I've modded out though. For whatever reason, I'm ready to do this one up!

So it is the special edition in Lithium gray, 502A package and so far I have:

*Spray in bed liner
*Took all the stickers off (including those ugly SE stripes! sorry, just my opinion!)
*Tinted front windows 15%
*Husky X-Act floor liners, front and back
*Husky gear box
*Ruff Tuff seat covers on the way (This is a work truck and I'm in it 6 days a week for 10 hours a day or more. That's a lot of tacos and copenhagen that ends up on those seats! Trying to save them for at least a while.)
*Raptor grill on the way (I don't care for the red accents in the SE grill).

I'm trying to decide on:

*Antenna: Stubby or 13 inch
*Fog lights: Miromoto, Putco or Rigid
*Lift/level kit: So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of the 3" coilover set ups, but I can't decide on how big to go on the rear blocks. I would keep the front at 2.75" and I'd like to end up level or keep just a bit of rake. I figure that's either 2.5" or 3" blocks. Just can't figure out which ones would be best.
*I'm keeping the stock wheels and will probably be putting on Nitto 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers. I'm going to spread the crash bars a bit and use 1.5" wheel spacers to hopefully get them to run with very minimal rub.

Any advice or opinions are appreciated! Here is the truck so far...
Attached Thumbnails New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-f150front.jpg   New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-f150side.jpg   New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-f150bedliner.jpg   New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-f150driverhusky.jpg   New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-f150rearhusky.jpg  

Old 09-10-2016, 12:40 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

That sure is a nice "work" truck.... Good call on removing the stripes. I love the SE seats.

I wish Ford did a different accent color instead of red with the Lithium SE trucks.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:20 AM

Well, when you basically live out of these things you tend to want them to be on the nice side. It's my rolling office/lunch room/hotel room!

It would be funny though to see my evolution of F150s over the last couple of decades from single cab basic to xlt single cab then started in with the crew cabs and never looked back. The last one was also a Lariat and the one before was an FX4. They've never let me down and I actually use them as if I was in one of those Ford commercials so they take a beating! I totaled the FX4. Someone ran a two way stop sign and I tboned them going 60. That truck saved my life. Best front crash ratings in the industry and I put it to the test!
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good looking truck, I think the rigids would be a good choice for your fogs.
What sort of farming do you do?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Morimoto's for fog lights all day long man.
Light output is awesome and if you run them on the road you won't be a dick and blind other people.
I've got some in my 06 And I wouldn't buy another brand
Old 09-18-2016, 09:40 PM

Just wanted to update everyone (if anyone is interested) on my build:

I added the 13" AntennaX. I work in fairly remote areas and I listen to AM/FM quite a bit. Even so, my reception is as good as it was before. I was worried about that, but it's all good.

Bought and installed a Bedrug and put that sucker right over the LineX liner. I think they look cool and also I like the idea of being able to put delicate things in the bed and not worry about scratching them up. Kind of nice to have the extra padding for comfort too.

Also installed a Bakflip MX4. I think that's been my favorite thing so far. So nice and it was really easy to install.

I finally decided on a lift/level and it's getting installed next week. I went with the 4" Fabtech performance lift. That's the one with the coilovers and I went that direction for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted ride quality to be as good as possible and coilovers and a true lift are a good way to do that. If I was just going to go 2" then no big deal, but I want to put 35x12.50s on so the alternative was a something like the 3" Boss coilover lift/level. Also, I'm going to put a lot of miles on this truck so I need it to be as reliable as possible. With an actual lift it will keep a more correct geometry. At least I hope it does!

I'm going to keep my stock wheels and I'm going with Nitto Trail Grapplers...295/65/20s which is 35.47x12.13. I'm hoping that because it's just a hair under an actual 12.50 it will be easier to resolve rubbing. I'd like to keep the crash bars if at all possible (I'll try and spread them with a Porta-Power before I give in and remove them). On the advice of the shop that's going to do the install, I bought 1.5" spacers as well. That will give enough clearance inside, but I'm not sure what it will do in regards to rubbing on the outside. That brings up another point and that is these F150 full on suspension lifts are sort of a pain to install. I usually do all my mods myself, including lifts, but i don't have a full car lift in my garage so I'm not going to even try with this one. I was looking forward to installing just a coilover or level...oh well, it is what it is.

I'll post pics of all this when it's done late next week. For whatever reason it seems like 95% of the actual lifts that people get on these F150s are the 6". It has been super frustrating trying to find pics/videos of 4" lifts other than maybe 4 or 5!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 PM

Okay....truck is pretty much done. I decided to go with a Fabtech 4" Performance Lift with Dirtlogic 2.5 Coilovers and Nitto 295/65-20 Trail Grapplers. I kept the stock SE wheels. Here are some pics....
Attached Thumbnails New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-f150lift.jpg   New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-fordlift2.jpg   New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!-fordlift3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
lbckevin (01-09-2021)
Old 10-25-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 262 Likes on 126 Posts

Killerrrr!
Old 10-26-2016, 01:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

looks great
Old 10-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Aside from the red accents on the seats, love it!

Quick Reply: New 2016 Lariat SE build....opinions wanted!