Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my rebuild thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my rebuild thread

This is going to be my rebuild thread. I will upload some pics when I can.
Background:
My dad bought this truck new from ford so I guess you can call it a one owner truck. I used it before when needed...but its allways been dads. I have been the caretaker/mechanic for this truck since its birth so to say. A couple years ago my sibling used the truck and proceeded to wreck it and blow the engine....isn't family great. Dads moved on to a newer vehicle so since I have a history and fondness for the truck he passed it on to me.
Truck:
92 F-150 e
300 cid 4.9L 5-speed
X-cab LWB 2.73 gears

Motor ran barely....smokes like a mosquito fogging truck
Found water in the oil so I'm hoping its just a head gasket/water pump issue. Should know for sure next weekend, just have a couple seized bolts to overcome to get the alternator bracket off.

Bodywork:
I allready replaced the entire front clip with a 90 model frontend. The lines down the truck match up...but I still prefer the newer 92 looks so I'm trying to source out another front-end.

Once I get her running ill think about any mods, but for now its just a rebuilding phase. This will be the second time I ve brought this truck back to life...so I know its doable.

One question tho, which front clip looks better to everyone?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:36 PM

92-96 front ends
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Boiler Maker

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think they're both very sharp. I've had both- I don't think you can mess it up. if you have the 90 front end on it itll be easier to leave it
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Yeah I like the 92 and later front ends myself...anyone have wheel tire combos without using stiffer f-250 springs. I have stock sized a/t tires on her atm I bought in 03...so will be needing to replace those...2wd truck sorry...looking for a little taller than stock with a lot wider footprint....should have some pics up tommorrow...I just restored the interior right before it was lent out and wrecked so its in really good shape...just needed a good cleaning
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Yeah I like the 92 and later front ends myself...anyone have wheel tire combos without using stiffer f-250 springs. I have stock sized a/t tires on her atm I bought in 03...so will be needing to replace those...2wd truck sorry...looking for a little taller than stock with a lot wider footprint....should have some pics up tommorrow...I just restored the interior right before it was lent out and wrecked so its in really good shape...just needed a good cleaning
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Mrs. W

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

the 92-96 is the best looking thing ford ever made in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Update:
The aluminum inside the engine compartment is about as brittle as it can be...alternator housing and bracket both shattered trying to free the couple bolts that had seized to it
On a positive note the head is off and the head gasket was the culprit....cylinder walls are clean...with no lip so I'm prolly going to take a chance just sending the head off to get reworked and ill see if the slight bump in compression doesn't blowby the rings...lots of broken accessory parts are going to limit what I can accomplish this go around
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

No real news..sourced out a new alt bracket and spent 5 bones at oriellys I have a huge pile of parts....still waiting for the machine shop
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

If you want to any form of mods to the front end, stick to the 92+ front end. If you want to have absolutly no aftermarket for it all all, stick to '91.

I love my '91 but I really do think about putting a '92 front clip because everything i smade for them
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Yeah I will....have to get the tractor motor squared away first...trolled ebay a little yesterday and found some decent 6-piece replacements for all the front heaslights/turnsignals....I still have the grill,hood,and passenger fender from before the accident so I'm not starting completely from scratch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my rebuild thread