Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My newest project

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Ford junky

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up My newest project

As stated in my intro, newest project is a 87 f250.

Basics on it, 87 f250 with a bad 302, 4 speed transmission, single cab long box gray body with red broad stripe. Nice part is that it comes with 16" rims instead of the 16.5" with nearly new tires with good meaty treads on them.

Here's the plan. Take the tired 302 out, and put in a 351w. Not just any 351w, but a jasper rebuild that only had 22,000 miles on it. It is bored .040 over, will be getting a decent RV cam to be a torque monster topped off with a 600 cfm carb.

The 4 speed will be tossed into the spare parts area in favor of a ZF 5 speed transmission. I want to try and gain some sort of fuel economy back out of this beast. Yes I do have the zf in my shop waiting.

Next, say good bye to mr Dana 50 ttb and say hello to mr Dana 44 solid axle from a 78 f250. With all the problems of keeping things aligned in a ttb set up, I want to go back to the rock solid 44. I want to get a selectable locker in it but haven't found one at the right price.

Since the rims and tires are in good shape, I will run those for a while until I can find a set of 18" rims to fit the bfg 35" mud terrains.

As far as a stereo, factory will work for me, or I can throw in some better quality speakers in the doors and get a better head unit. I don't want to waste any interior space by getting subs. Gotta have room for tools, fishing pole and small tackle box, and of course, my guns.

As of right now I am in the parts collection phase, and boy howdy there are still a lot of parts to get. I am being as patient as I can to get the right deal on parts and then do this in one shot. The truck is at my dads place and will be titled as a hobbyist since I own two other registered vehicles.

Pictures will come soon of the truck, the progress, and final drivable truck. It's going to be one of the best all purpose trucks that will be built, not bought. I've been planning for this truck for over a year, time to get it together and movin.

I just haven't found a good project name. Can't do Foxx Hunt since the color scheme is all off. Money pit was a mustang project that had to be sold for rent money. Something will pop up and I will go from there. No, I will never name any of my projects Never Evil.

Hope I can inspire some one to get their project done or show someone how I did mine to help overcome an obsticle in theirs. I will do a better build sheet later to show how everything works together. I appreciate you reading this long winded project plan.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Pics or it didnt happen.

Quick Reply: My newest project