Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new truck. Project "Stormtrooper"

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Project- Stormtrooper

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My new truck. Project "Stormtrooper"

A couple months ago I bought myself a new daily! Mainly decided to get a truck cause I was tired of having a car in the winter and having to deal with heavy snowfall and drifts while having low ground clearance.. My younger brother had a 2013 reg cab sxt 2 years ago and I always loved the way those trucks looked but I kinda wanted a 2015. However, I want all the bells and whistles in a truck and I don't get rid of my vehicles so I look as them as an investment BUT 63K for a fully loaded 2015 FX4 was a little outta my price range lol and as much as I like them I didn't wanna have a 1st year new model build

So I waited and waited and waited.. And after about 6 months of searching I finally found a truck that ticked 95% of the things I was looking for in my new truck. So I surprised my wife with a weekend getaway to Ottawa and went to pick up the truck (about a 10hr drive from my place)

2014 FX4 Screw
Oxford white
5L
5.5ft box
3.73 gears
Luxury package
No moonroof "didn't want one anyways"
No NAV (only thing it was missing from being perfect, and the ambient lighting just cause I think it looks cool lol)

She was a really clean truck, well maintained, one local owner so I signed my life away and drove her home! Was surprised that it was pretty decent on fuel I averaged 12.8L/100km on the way home doing about 118km/hr with the cruise on. Gets better than my wife's 2013 flex limited with the ecoboost.

First mods I have done so far are pretty much just maintenance/detailing:
- I consider myself a very detailed oriented person and very first thing I did to the truck was had to drop the front bumper cause while washing it for the first time I noticed rust on the topside lip of the steel bumper in 3 places because between it and the piece of trim that runs under the grill there is a black spacer piece and it was rubbing via vibrations while driving and it wore through the paint.. so I dropped the bumper, sanded, painted and cleared the spots and put a 3m clear vinyl type material I had on the parts of the spacer piece to keep it from happening again. After that was resolved I put the bumper back on and thought all was good but then scratched my head cause it looked like the bumper wasn't sitting right, where the spacer piece is the gab looked wider till it ran out to the headlights and it looked like the trim was being pushed up towards the grille in the middle. So I checked and rechecked how the bumper was mounted and that's just the way it is.. never noticed it till I have to take it off to fix the rust. All our trucks are like that, go look at yours and others on the road or in Google. Sorry in advanced if now that bothers you on your truck lol
-Bought and installed Oem rear fender liners. Don't get why our trucks (other than the platinum and king ranch I believe) don't come with these...
- bought weather tech digifit front and rears mats cause I have them in the wife's flex and they look great and do a great job at keeping all the dirt/mud/snow off the floors
- tonight just finished up a VERY long detail job on the truck. I would say I have about 20 hours invested.. I have all the tools and products to get professional result and I bought them cause I like my vehicles well taken care of. Not sure how many people on here are into the detailing process but this is what I did to achieve my results:
Washed the truck using "chemical guys" citrus wash and gloss soap, I like using that before I polish a car cause it helps remove and oils and waxes on the paint.
Dried it off and pulled it in the garage (had to kick my wife outta her spot for a few days
Clayed the paint
Masked off all the trim with painters tape
Then did test spot to see what I would need to use to get good results.. Our trucks have really hard clear coat so it takes stronger products to get all the defects out of the paint. And the PO must have taken this thing through brushed car washes all the time... cause for only being less than 2 years old the paint had LOTs of swirls and deeper "scratches" so that being said I had to use a yellow pad on my porter cable dual action and "HD CUT" polishing compound. That got all the big stuff out but now I was left with micro marring from the aggressive first step
So went over the truck again with a white pad and "poorboys SSR1"
Then sealed it with "poorboys EX sealant"
Name:  20151230_153453_zpsaoqeouv2.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  228.6 KBThe paint now looks 95% As good as it did when it rolled off the assembly line
Name:  20151230_153029_zpsiorjiq7e.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  76.1 KB
Finished the detail off with ultima tire and trim guard on all the black trim to keep it protected from the Suns UVs and tire gel on the tires to make them nice and black, but not shiny..
Name:  20151230_182226_zpsj0c5eysy.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  180.7 KB

Still have to condition the leather but that's for another day..

My plans for the truck are (and somewhat in this order probably)
-30" led light bar behind the grille
-Roush exhaust
-Level/block kit (I've done a lot of looking on here and I'm pretty sure im gonna go with a 2.5 levelling kit and a 2" rear block. I don't have anything to tow or haul 99% of the time and I don't like the look of rake so I would rather the truck just look level all the time, that's why I don't want a 3" block)
-Took a long time searching for good looking wheels and I think I've made up my mind on Fuel Mavericks 20x9 +20 offset and 285/60/20 GY duratrac tires. I love the looks of trail grapplers but they are about $200 more a tire and the duratracs have a really good snow rep from what Ive read.
- CAI. Have not decided yet on roush or a Volant, leaning more towards the valiant though
- tune. Probably will go with a 5star
- Maybe a BOSS 302 intake
- wishful thinking for down the road is a supercharger!

Well sorry for the story.. But that's where I'm at so far I'll post pics when I get a chance and keep this up to date as I go, I'm sure there will be things here and there I decide to do.

Last edited by OW5LFX4; 01-01-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:07 AM

Received 151 Likes on 116 Posts

Great looking truck, and welcome to the forum! I have a bit of a passion for detailing myself, because theres nothing better than the way a freshly polished and waxed car or truck shines.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The truck is stellar. Looking forward to future updates.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Project- Stormtrooper

Originally Posted by BC119
Great looking truck, and welcome to the forum! I have a bit of a passion for detailing myself, because theres nothing better than the way a freshly polished and waxed car or truck shines.
For sure! She looks so clean I don't even want to drive her now lol one of the things my parents taught me and I will instill in my kids is to take care of your things and they will last a long time
Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Project- Stormtrooper

Originally Posted by FXRanger150
Welcome to the forum. The truck is stellar. Looking forward to future updates.
Thanks took a while to find a nice white 5L. Everything around here FS seems to be either a black or grey FX4 and mostly EB. only have seen 2 white ones and 2 red ones and a couple blue on the roads
Old 12-31-2015, 10:59 AM
Project- Stormtrooper

I know the chances are probably along the lines of winning the lotto but when I got this truck I thought to myself remembering back in 2013 when my wife and her family all went to the f150 plant in Dearborn, MI for the day, how cool would it be if my truck was on the line that day
Old 01-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Project- Stormtrooper

Cleaned and conditioned the leather todayName:  20160101_142356_zpszaa8t1pj.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  631.7 KB

Dipped to mirror reflectors black, looks so much better!Name:  20160101_182109_zpsa1k5b7de.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  190.1 KB
Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 892 Likes on 584 Posts

Good looking truck.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Cauliflower ears

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful truck! Now all you need is a custom Stormtrooper emblem for your grille This is the one my boss had made for his Polaris Ranger

Old 01-02-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish it was not so cold out here in the Great White North. I love detailing my truck, it makes me so calm and relieves stress.

Again truck looks fantastic!

Quick Reply: My new truck. Project "Stormtrooper"