Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 94's restoration/build

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Default My 94's restoration/build

Well I've wanted to start a thread for awhile now so that I could get all my pictures in one place and see where it all started from as its life with me might be ending in the near future. I'll update the thread as I have time and as i find all the pictures.

The truck started as a 1994 2wd Enforcer edition.
Inline 6 engine with an automatic E4od transmission
Regular cab long box
Manual windows and locks
Painted bumpers
And had a big ugly stripe down both sides of the truck

The truck now is a 94 with some 96 and a bit of 90.
Although its now 4x4 with the same engine but with a 5 speed behind it with a few other goodies

So now the build begins, when I started it all I was in high school with no steady income and no license, so everything was as cost effective as possible and parts were a pain to get. Alot of parts were used and all the work was done by me with some help from my dad and neighbours.

The truck was bought brand new by my dad, he had it for a few years before a regular cab truck was no longer do-able with a family. My grandparents bought it and had it for 10 years before i got it as a gift for my 16th birthday. I regret not taking better pictures of the truck before, but it was rotted out, dented and and scratched pretty badly so maybe thats a good thing.

The drive train was in great condition, the truck only had 180,000 kms on it. But the bad part was the entire passenger side was dented front to back from the truck driving away in while in "Park" and salt eating away at it I figured it'd be cheaper to get another truck and make two out of one.

I found this 1996 f150, identical to mine just with a "good" body for $400.

I explained my plans for the truck and the seller assured me that the body was in perfect condition and it wouldn't need any work. My dad and I found a trailer we could use and drove 3 hours away to go look at it. Once we get there we notice it had been re-painted, lots of bondo/rust in the box and dents all along the bed rail from people throwing stuff in the box but on the plus side it had a spray in bed liner. I was not happy, but we spent all this time and gas going to look at it I figured I'd get it any ways.

Here's some pics of the tear down, I'm not sure why they're so blurry but you get the idea

Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 AM

I kept every body panel off the truck (ended up needing some couple years later) and sold the cab. Swapped out coil springs and leaf springs as mine were broken, then scrapped the truck after i had parted it out. After paying for my dads gas to get the truck and bringing it to the scrap yard I had made $400.

New parts swapped over, I think the truck had a sweet stance for a 2wd (5" of rake)

Started on the body work, it was a pretty cool experience and I learnt a lot from it. The passenger side box was real thin around the wheel well, I debated on getting a box side $500 vs a patch panel $85, I cheaped out and got the patch panel. I didn't have a mig welder at home so my neighbour welded it in for me in exchange that I ran a silage truck for the day, it was a win-win for me as i had always wanted to drive a transport truck.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 AM

In ontario we have graduated licensing, meaning for 8 months after I got my license, a licensed adult had to be in the passenger seat. I turned 16 in January, I started working on the trucks in March and i wanted it done for the beginning of September so i could drive on the first day of grade 11. Painting the truck brought it real close to the deadline but it was done.

I wanted to do Blue jeans metallic like the current gen F-150s but my neighbour didn't want to paint metallic so i settled with a dark blue, or so I thought.

I wasn't real happy on the colour but i guess it was better then rust. As you can see in the pictures i got diamond plate bed rail caps from the wreckers to hide the dents and a tool box that i traded one of my extra chrome bumpers for.

So that's about it for part 1 of 3 I guess. I drove it through winter, made some questionable mods and had some fun.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 AM

Default Part 2

As everyone knows your never 100% happy with your truck, and automatic 2wd is cool and all but I thought a 4x4 5 speed would be even better. After a bit of research I found out its pretty easy and has been done. During the winter a buddy of mine had crashed his 1990, he was alright but the truck wasn't. He needed money for a new vehicle and i figured id get some of the parts that i needed.

I planned on keeping the truck for a long time so i spent a bit of money this time around, bought a new flywheel, starter and clutch kit. He complained of sloppy shifting so i looked into it a bit more and found the one shift fork was worn badly, went to the scrap yard and got both forks and the top piece for $25.

Having never driven a standard vehicle it took a bit to get used to, but you learn quick when you don't have a choice.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:35 AM

I almost had it on the road for a full year at this time and it was time for a change, with the 5 speed in the truck it was time for the front axle. I gained about 4" of lift when i swapped axles, although i think the springs were leveling springs

The rims off the red truck were rusted pretty bad and only had 31" tires on them, i decided to sandblast and paint them black and squeeze some used 33"s under it. Also put new warn premium hubs to replace the auto hubs.

The following users liked this post:
94Ford4.9 (07-07-2014)