Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 5.4l 3v build

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my 5.4l 3v build

so a little background on my truck. I bought it when i was 18 first truck I bought and had very little knowledge on these motors it was just lifted and I was sold. not too long after i started to learn a little more about these trucks in general nothing too bad but long story short here I am 23 and ended up rebuilding my whole top end. all because I broke 6 plugs in the heads. Not that I had to rebuild, more so that I wanted to. It was a great experience had a lot of fun doing so.

heres the start broke six of the 8 plugs in the head tried the extraction tool and didnt work for me so i knew the next step

she actually doesnt look really bad for having 125k miles and right around this point i had decided to go ahead and buy a couple new parts.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 PM

a couple of my parts include cam phaser lockouts new ford racing hot rod cams made for the 3v 4.6l mustangs ford racing cam covers pacesetter longtubes/ypipe.

broke down my heads and went to porting them. broke an exhaust stud off in one head.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 PM

Old 05-12-2016, 06:55 PM

so did some port work and reseated the valves new guides cam phaser lock outs. now time for install!

fresh paint

she wanted to help

Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 PM

got a couple bugs to figure out like cmc imrcv delete they are stuck closed so might just get rid of it also might redesign my exhaust. for the most part its pretty much done runs and drives nice. sounds awesome! just has no ***.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the blue valve covers. Great pictures of everything also. Do you have a part number or link for the valve covers?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I assume you had someone tune for the LTH, cams, lockouts and port work. If not I would be surprised it ran at all. The hot rods are really only top end cams. They will leave the bottom end real soft especially with the vct locked out. I had them in my 05 mustang. They sound great just are more difficult to tune for. I ended up using Lito on s197 forums for tuning.

Last edited by 4.6owner; 05-15-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by blessedcajun
I love the blue valve covers. Great pictures of everything also. Do you have a part number or link for the valve covers?
I have it somewhere just look up ford racing cam covers for the 3v 4.6l mustangs they use the same head
Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4.6owner
I assume you had someone tune for the LTH, cams, lockouts and port work. If not I would be surprised it ran at all. The hot rods are really only top end cams. They will leave the bottom end real soft especially with the vct locked out. I had them in my 05 mustang. They sound great just are more difficult to tune for. I ended up using Lito on s197 forums for tuning.
I'm actually really surprised how well it ran without a tune I drove it on the highway to my tuners and he tuned it. I need to get ride of the cmc runner flaps which he said was restricting it. And yes I'm learning this also I might need to figure out some new stuff to help with bottom end
Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

I really like the way it's turning out... I wish i bought my 06 lifted.. lol right now it's leveled and on 33's.. I need to do the timing job shortly...

Quick Reply: my 5.4l 3v build