Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2017 Blue Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Default My 2017 Blue Lariat

Just got a new 2017 Lariat. This is my first "mod" - have always lived with things stock, didn't know what I was missing

Base specs are: 2017 4x4 Screw Lariat, 3.5L Ecoboost, 502A pkg, 5.5' bed, Max trailer tow and power tow mirrors, 3.55 elec locking diff, Tech package, Tailgate steps/side steps. Color is Blue Jeans, with Tan (light camel) interior.

Coming from an '04 XLT scab 5.4L 4x4.

Bought it thru Costco, of all things, and got it for ~$2000 under invoice, no haggling, which I thought was pretty good given how new these are. I originally wanted a Raptor, but at $15-20k over MSRP all the dealers are asking, that was about a $30k difference, and now that I have the Lariat with the higher load/towing capacity, tow mirrors, etc, looking back at the Raptor, I'm glad I got the Lariat instead.

Things I really like about this truck so far are:

- How they changed the tailgate step over previous years - didn't even know it changed til I saw it compared to my brother-in-laws '16 F250.
- Heated/Cooled seats and Heated steering wheel.
- How fast/responsive the Ecoboost is.
- Fuel efficiency - I'm not getting the 20+ claimed mpg, but the ~18 I get is better than the 12 or so I got with the '04.
- Nav, with the directions displayed in the control cluster. And for factory nav, it seems comparable to google maps at routing around traffic, etc, which surprised me.
- All the buttons and controls and features: It's like driving the space shuttle compared to my '04.
- How big the screw is inside compared to the scab.
- Tailgate - I think it looks so much better than the "stripes" across the previous MYs

The little things I don't/didn't like:

- 5.5' bed vs the 6.5' bed will take some getting used to, but the 6.5'+screw was just too long for me.
- Stock goodyear tires. Too small, and just seem to ride pretty rough.
- Different color of the fog lights vs the LED headlights - really sticks out more than I thought it would.
- The stock rake.
- Chrome Bar grille (my '04 had a honeycomb grille like the 2018 sport, which I like)

I don't like to stray too far from stock (or what looks like it could be stock), looks wise, so some of my mods may not be that exciting, but there are a few things I think need fixing. It'll probably be a long, slow build, as $$ allow. I tend to keep my trucks for 10-15 years, so I have time.

The following are my thoughts on changes:

- Linex spray in liner (actually, had the dealer add this before I took it home)
- DU-HA underseat storage
- Diamondback bed cover
- Ford OEM bed extender (folded "in" with the bed cover, makes trips to the grocery store with the family a bit easier)
- Level it (thinking Bilstein 5100 all around with leveling shocks in front)
- Wheel liners (probably Ford OEM)
- Morimoto F2 XB fogs to match the headlights
- Full Race "Freak-o-boost" CAC, to move it up so I can add:
- Hidden winch behind the front bumper
- Larger tires on the stock rims (275/70r18 33" or 295/70r18 34")*
- Maybe the paramount honeycomb grill (with a ford emblem added, like the 2018 sport, not the "F O R D" like a Raptor.) Based on this thread, but with color matched blue surround and stock color ford emblem.
- Maybe remove the 4x4 bedside stickers - don't particularly care for them.
- FORScan mods, of course
- Tuner (thinking SCT Livewire when they support the '17)
- calibrate for larger tires.

* the thing I am most undecided on are the tires. I had BFG KO2's on my '04 and loved how they looked, but the reality is that the closest to "offroad" I'll ever be is the gravel road in a state park campground, so Michelin Defender LTX will probably be more practical. I don't want to lose much power or fuel efficiency, so don't want to go much over stock width. The defenders are available in both sizes, the ko2's only as 33" 275/70r18 without going a lot wider.

Last edited by Opus-n-Bill; 02-15-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:37 PM

First "mod" I did was adding the
HA-DU underseat storage bin HA-DU underseat storage bin

Lots of storage.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:49 PM

Added the Diamondback SE bed cover. Ordered direct from Diamondback, Linex'd, with an extra set of tie downs and the cross bin

One thing I found is that they sell two different cross bins - an 8" deep one, and a 13" deep one. I was expecting the 8" deep one, which would still allow me to slide sheets of plywood, etc into the bed under it, but they ship the larger 13" deep one if you don't specify, and that hangs almost to the floor of the bed.

Here are pictures of the cross bin options from their web site:

So I'm in the process of exchanging these. I like the look of the cover itself on the truck:

Old 02-14-2017, 11:05 PM

Made some FORScan mods:

- Disabled the "double honk"
- Added engine and transmission temp over the gauges
- IPC quick boot
- Disabled the fake in-cabin engine noise
- Disabled the powerpoint timeout
- Enabled secure idle
- Enabled auto-fold mirrors (required swapping two wires in each mirror)
- Enabled global window open/close
- Turned off the door chime
- Enabled Bambi mode fog+high beams
- Added Hill Descent Control, which required swapping out the traction control button with this one, following this thread. For 2017 trucks, requires FORScan 2.3.7.
- Disabled auto start/stop following this thread. Jumpered the wire, and to make the dash cleaner I have this button on order to have a single hazard button rather than a split hazard/start-stop button that always has "off" lit up. I could have removed the wire that lights it up, but I preferred to not have any button there that was non-functional.

Last edited by Opus-n-Bill; 02-16-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 AM

Added the bed extender. The Costco deal gave me one aftermarket accessory at 50% off, up to $200 savings.

You'd think this would have been simple, but the dealer lost the first one they ordered. The second one they shipped to me, and they sent 2 right sides. They finally sent me to another dealer to pick up the third one. Probably spent the savings in gas driving to the dealer (it's in VA, I'm in MD), but at least it gave me a chance to drive the new truck more

The following users liked this post:
Twin snail putput (01-28-2020)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Nice, wish Blue Jeans were an option on the Sport models.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM

I replaced the traction control button with the traction control/hill descent button, and the hazard/start-stop button with a plain hazard button (with the start-stop disabled with the jumper, the button always shows "off", and I don't like to have buttons that are non-functional, so this is cleaner)

I may see if I can move the traction control/hill descent split button to the middle for a more balanced look.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:36 PM

Made some dividers for my console. The drivers side is sized to allow hanging folders. That necessitated the small thin cubbies toward the back, which are perfect to hold pens and pencills

Crappy picture, but it shows the layout.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM

Replaces the stainless steel bolts with black anodized bolts, and painted the stainless steel hinges on the truck cover.

Before:

After:

Also, removed the 4x4 decal from Ford.
Twin snail putput (01-28-2020)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Opus-n-Bill
Made some dividers for my console. The drivers side is sized to allow hanging folders. That necessitated the small thin cubbies toward the back, which are perfect to hold pens and pencills

Crappy picture, but it shows the layout.
We had the same idea tonight. Looks like you put a little more thought into your dividers. Mine just kinda worked out.
ridgerunr (10-25-2019)

Quick Reply: My 2017 Blue Lariat